Next Thread
Print Thread
Who uses ATVs extensively in their hunting? #210397 04/10/2021 12:20 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Just curious.
Here in Alaska most decent hunting is off the beaten path. A few miles with a backpack, hundreds of miles by plane, many many miles by boat or a fair number of miles from the highway "trailhead" by ATV/UTV. Pack animals arent practical most places here.
I'm 61 so lots of miles with a heavy backpack is getting old.
I can't afford an airplane. The put in on the Yukon River for moose is a 750+ mile drive one way & then many river miles to get out of the crowds. So a few years ago I bought a Polaris Ranger 800 6x6.
I love that rig. Goes just about anywhere, has proven reliable, & can haul a full moose and camp with a trailer. Larger tires, different clutching, winches front & rear, windshield, roof that doubles for cargo storage, overhead gun rack for long guns, etc have been added and steering stops, a snorkel kit, and fan shut-off are all sitting on the shelf & will be installed before next moose season. Crossing one river this past years moose hunt was a little dicey :o!
I put this in "hunting" not "Off topic" because I want to know about the rigs you guys use for hunting, not just playing/mudding.
What do you use, what have you done to modify it etc.
I know the area you live makes a BIG difference in what you need. The areas I hunt are either steep up & down or swampy & lots of brush. A lot different than antelope in eastern Oregon or whitetail in the east!
Mods if you think this should be moved feel free!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Who uses ATVs extensively in their hunting? [Re: Vance in AK.] #210398 04/10/2021 2:18 AM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
A couple years ago i was lucky enough to participate in an alaska moose hunt. Several hours travel out into the bush to camp by 4 wheeler with trailers. Would have been impossible without wheelers. Shortly after when back in the bluff country of minnesota i picked up a 2014 ranger 800 6x6 and absolutely love it for working, hauling pulling and playing out in the woods. It goes just about anywhere. The only real mods I've made are trying to sound proof the cab a bit and wiring it for a front or rear receiver mount winch that i have yet to use. It gets more work hauling wood, rocks or dirt then deer but it sure simplified deer retrieval last year.

Re: Who uses ATVs extensively in their hunting? [Re: karl] #210399 04/10/2021 4:07 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
I have a 2015 Polarus Ranger 4x4. I had a Roof and Glass Windows front and rear installed then I traded in my 2009 Ranger 700. No doors, I was not going to pay the asking price for doors.
Modifications:
Front Light Bar (51" I believe), full width mounted to the pillars at the top of the windshield.
Rear Mini LED Bar to light up the Bed.
Winch on the front with both a pod mounted switch as well as a dash plug in for the remote. I used the remote for the first time last Monday to spool in the cable when using the winch by myself.
Aggressive Power King 8 ply tires.
Blue lights under the dash to illuminate the floor.
Deer Season 2019 I was back visiting deer camp on the lease behind my property when one of the girls shot a deer. It ran off and died in the bottom of a deep ravine. We ended up taking a Four Wheeler as far down into the ravine as we dared and then spooled all the winch line out. We managed to get with about 15 feet of the deer. We then managed to drag the deer up hill far enough to get it hooked up, and winched it out. That was my excuse to go ahead and install a winch on my Side by Side.

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 04/10/2021 4:21 AM.

See You At The Range
Re: Who uses ATVs extensively in their hunting? [Re: Bob Roach] #210401 04/10/2021 1:40 PM
K9TXS Offline
Pictures would be nice

Re: Who uses ATVs extensively in their hunting? [Re: K9TXS] #210404 04/10/2021 4:31 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I have used 4 wheelers but we aren't that remote. I has been easy enough with my Rodeo. It has been gone through from one end to the other including OME off road suspension. I started hunting a place that has some tight places that the rodeo wont fit through so I am fixing up a Suzuki Samurai. It will nearly climb a tree. My brother in law pulled his Polaris Ranger up next to it and the Samurai has about the same foot print. Fun little thing. Going through the complete breaking system now and will soon do the exhaust, timing belt, water pump, adjust valves and anything else it needs.

Last edited by reflex264; 04/10/2021 4:37 PM.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Who uses ATVs extensively in their hunting? [Re: reflex264] #210413 04/12/2021 12:48 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I will try and post some trail pics from 2020s moose hunt. I need to set up a hosting site to go through I guess. And try & find the right SD card!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Who uses ATVs extensively in their hunting? [Re: Vance in AK.] #210416 04/13/2021 3:42 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
I have a Kubota RTV XG850 4x4 and I love it. I only run it on my farm but it gets me where I can’t go with my Land Cruiser. It’s equipped with a brush guard, front winch, fold down windshield and hardtop roof. It has a 1000lb dump bed and a 2” receiver that I use a cargo rack with. It has Chevron style rough terrain tires.
A strong and reliable vehicle.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Who uses ATVs extensively in their hunting? [Re: billa] #210418 04/13/2021 3:24 PM
gunslingerdad Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
on out west hunts where legal i will run an atv. i have an old 97 polaris 425 magnum that has almost 5000 miles on it. just bought a two up 2012 polaris 550 machine for more comfort for momma when we ride together- in northern minnesota for bear hunting it is the only way to run baits! I dont mind them for transportation into areas that is a long haul or to bring back your kill or gear. some guys are purist and wont ride one and that is fine too.

still Dave Thomas, just an alias so the gov't dont find me
;\)
Re: Who uses ATVs extensively in their hunting? [Re: Vance in AK.] #210429 04/14/2021 10:23 PM
Memtb460 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
At nearing 70, with miles of country to hunt and lots of 2-tracks in the areas we hunt....the UTV is invaluable.

We get our camper as close and centrally located to our desired hunting areas. Then we use our Polaris Ranger, to take us out as far as we want to go, or limited by regulations.

Not only does it minimize potential damage to the truck, which is needed to get us home....but, it is a workhorse around our place. It has hauled many tons of rock, dirt, cow manure, and most anything you can imagine!

If we’re doing a late season deer/elk hunt......the tracks give us mobility that would be impossible with the truck.

One of our better investments! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

~Molɔ̀ːn Lab? Sk?la~

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod