Next Thread
Print Thread
Extraction Problems Solved #210760 05/29/2021 1:20 PM
Memtb460 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
.......I hope!

I’ve been trying to work up a good hunting load for my S&W 460 XVR. I’ve been using my “homegrown” cast, powder coated 400 grain bullets, and getting extremely difficult extraction. I assumed that this was a over-pressure situation....though, I was well within listed load data. I also had velocities that were below book listed maximum velocities.....indicating I was below maximum pressures!

I measured and remeasured everything that could be measured....bore, cylinder throats, cylinder measurements end to end. I polished the cylinder “charge holes” (chambers) and throats, and bullet OD’s.....even sizing them smaller by 0.001”. Nothing seemed to correct the problem.....still having to drive the cases out via a dowel rod! I even tried different powders at starting loads....to no avail!

My wife suggested that I change to some newly purchased brass. This was about the “only” thing I hadn’t tried! I didn’t think this would make any difference, as I was using Hornady brass that only had about 3 firings on it.....1st firing was factory loads, 2nd firing was store bought bullets, and now my bullets! But....everything else has been tried!

I tried using my new Starline brass......the fired cases almost jumped out of the cylinder! 🤔 I’ve since stepped-up my charges, nearing maximum listed loads, and the cases are easily extracted! 😁

My guess, and it’s truly a guess, is that the Hornady brass has lost it’s elasticity (my term), and is not reducing in size after firing! Only after several firings with this Starline brass will I get a more complete picture. At this point, I’m just thankful that when hunting, I don’t have to continue to drive the cases out .....looking like a black powder shooter reloading his “smoke pole”!

Summary: It appears that sticking brass doesn’t necessarily indicate excessive pressures! This has been a first time experience for me! memtb

Last edited by Memtb460; 05/29/2021 1:24 PM.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

~Molɔ̀ːn Lab? Sk?la~
Re: Extraction Problems Solved [Re: Memtb460] #210761 05/29/2021 3:46 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
As crazy as it sounds, there are definitely variations in tolerances between manufacturers, even of the same calibers/cartridges....I've noticed that Hornady brass is thicker than others. If Starline makes brass in any of my rounds, that's what I use 😉😁 It's Good Stuff 😁😁😁

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Extraction Problems Solved [Re: Franchise] #210762 05/29/2021 7:21 PM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Star line brass is all I use in my 460”s, I’ve never had a problem, I’m glad you solved your problem.

Re: Extraction Problems Solved [Re: racksmasher1] #210763 05/29/2021 7:27 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
PPU rifle brass always sticks for me. Hornady gives me head separation issues in rifle brass.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod