Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ear Gear #12826 01/27/2006 5:18 AM
Chris_C Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I shoot a S&W44mag and recently picked up a S&W500. I have always used ear muffs for target practice but never have for hunting either with revolver or rifle. With the 500 and its magnaporting (I have the 10 1/2" barrel) it is clear that I need to wear something when hunting. I see that the two main options seem to be electronic applification/noise reduction in either the muff or the hearing aid style. Having never hunted with ear protection of any kind before, what do all of you find works the best and why? (I should say I hunt in Pennsylvania and Illinois so cold is an issue.) Any advice is appreciated!

Happy Hunter
Re: Ear Gear [Re: Chris_C] #12827 01/27/2006 6:29 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I use regular ear plugs that are attached w/ a cord. Just leave them lay around my neck and slip them in before the shot. I'm too cheap to buy the electronic muffs!

Re: Ear Gear [Re: Chris_C] #12828 01/27/2006 7:38 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I bit the bullet and bought the walkers power muffs, havn't hunted with them yet but took them out to the range and was very impressed. If you go that route stay away from the cheap muffs, I have a pair I bought off one of the tool trucks at work and they are ok for the range but they are really distorted and have an issue with static. The walkers are crystal clear and the amplification system works great.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Ear Gear [Re: Chris_C] #12829 01/27/2006 11:09 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i've been too cheap to buy electronics so far also i just used plugs n slip em in while huntin, n plain ol muffs at the range.
kinnda be nice to have the hearing enhancement in the woods........if/when i cough up the $

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Ear Gear [Re: Chris_C] #12830 01/27/2006 1:22 PM
JeffD Offline
I got a pair of the Remington electronic muffs for Christmas. I have not hunted with them yet, but tested them on the range with my .44 mag. They work great! Like other electronic muffs they enhance hearing quite a bit, and shut down gun blasts instantly. Can't wait to hunt with them next Fall.

Re: Ear Gear [Re: JeffD] #12831 01/27/2006 3:00 PM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
I guess I'm che--- , uh frugal. I did hunt with the plugs like Dan B and still do sometimes. I found some electronic muffs from Midway. They are Caldwell muff for about $40. I have used them at the range and hunting for two years and have only had to replace the two AA batteries twice.
They are great at the range. I have borrowed my buddies Walker muffs and they have a little less wind noise than my Caldwells. All are noisy in the wind. Just turn them down a little and you still have ear protection. Some brands are thinner than others but I haven't had any problems with mine while hunting. They keep my ears pretty warm.
Click on the work Midway below for the link.
Midway- Caldwell muffs- on sale right now

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: Ear Gear [Re: Hawkeye] #12832 01/27/2006 3:37 PM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have been using the pre-ears stalker D2 muffs for about 2 seasons now.
They take some getting use to but once you do you will not want to hunt with out them. The D2 has the input jacks and cable so I can use my MP-3 player at the range or when I am doing yard work they can also work with some of the FRS radios.
On the down side: they are not the best if you use glasses the pads push the frame arms in to your ears and a little hard to whare a hat with them.

thank about it this way you just spent $1500 on a handgun, so what is $250 more to save your hearing

Re: Ear Gear [Re: RickyP] #12833 01/27/2006 3:49 PM
GrnMntMan Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Definately getting a pair of Walker Power Muffs this summer for hunting next fall.
Just trying to decide if I want to spend the extra $50 for the Quads or just get the original Power Muffs... (??)
Anyone tried both?
Is it worth the extra?
Thanks,

Thanks,
Shawn
Re: Ear Gear [Re: GrnMntMan] #12834 01/27/2006 5:01 PM
Bama Offline
I have used everything from custom molded ear plugs, muffs, to electronic muffs. By far the Pro_ears are the best. What I like about them is they can be turned up for sound magnification or set on low. At any loud noise the electronics lower the loud noise, they don't block the noise. Let me see if I can explain. With the pro ears on you can turn them up and clapp your hands, the sound of the clap will be reduced so you can hear it, but won't damage your ears. Other eloctronic muffs cut the sound off 100% so it is agrivating to go from hearing to nothing and then back to hearing again.

I use the pro-ears hunting and when I am teaching firearms to new shooters. In fact I own two pairs of them.

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005
Re: Ear Gear [Re: GrnMntMan] #12835 01/27/2006 7:46 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Quote:

Definately getting a pair of Walker Power Muffs this summer for hunting next fall.
Just trying to decide if I want to spend the extra $50 for the Quads or just get the original Power Muffs... (??)
Anyone tried both?
Is it worth the extra?
Thanks,

My walkers are the quads, I can tell you that even though my cheapies had not so good sound quality the walkers with quad gave a whole new "feel" with the sound seeming to come from all around, they seemed more natural and the amplification properties really impressed me as did the clarity.

Last edited by wapitirod; 01/27/2006 7:52 PM.
Re: Ear Gear [Re: Hawkeye] #12836 01/27/2006 8:41 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have alway used regular ear muffs for the range. Midevil was running the same sale on the Caldwell's when I placed an order. So for $25 bucks I got them. They work OK. They block the noise. The volume works OK, when up on high they seem to have a good bit of static. Sometime when I have the coin I'll get the quad Walkers and see how they compair.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Ear Gear [Re: wapitirod] #12837 01/27/2006 8:58 PM
GrnMntMan Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

Quote:

Anyone tried both?
Is it worth the extra?
Thanks,

My walkers are the quads, I can tell you that even though my cheapies had not so good sound quality the walkers with quad gave a whole new "feel" with the sound seeming to come from all around, they seemed more natural and the amplification properties really impressed me as did the clarity.

Thanks for the input.
I figure if I am gonna spend $150 on these I might as well spend the extra $50 more and get the better sound...

Thanks,
Shawn
Re: Ear Gear [Re: GrnMntMan] #12838 01/27/2006 9:57 PM
Rupe/PA Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have a pair of the Caldwells. This past Spring I used them in the woods for turkey. I could definately hear better, but I was bothered with not being able to determine direction with them. Do the quad muffs present this problem for anyone ?

Rupe

Re: Ear Gear [Re: Rupe/PA] #12839 01/28/2006 12:22 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I havn't hunted with mine yet but at the range I could definately determine direction with my quads, the other nice thing for me (because I'm tone deaf) is being able to adjust the frequency

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Ear Gear [Re: Chris_C] #12840 01/28/2006 5:14 AM
Chris_C Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for all the input! As it happens I do wear glasses and that was a factor I hadn't thought about before. I'm also encouraged that so many say that wearing the electronic muffs don't ruin the hunting experience but maybe even highten it. Clearly some trial and error is called for, but I now feel much more confident. It's also good to hear just popping in some plugs at the last minute works too, I hate to admit it, but I hadn't really considered that option. I must be getting old! Thanks again for all the info.!

Happy Hunter
Re: Ear Gear [Re: wapitirod] #12841 01/30/2006 2:18 AM
hntrjohn Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I also bought the Walker Quad muffs at the Deer/Turkey expo in Columbus last year. Best investment ever. Even in wind you can adjust your volumes on each ear separately and still be able ear clearly. My PC500 w/comp and my SBH's w/magnaports our even pleasant to shoot. (Unfortunately I can still hear the other half yelling out the kitchen window that the "Honey-Do" list aint gettin done)

Re: Ear Gear [Re: Chris_C] #12842 01/30/2006 8:17 PM
Bama Offline
Well I was changing the batteries in my pro-ears this weekend and broke one of the prongs off that holds the batteries. I just got off the phone with pro-ears and they are going to warrenty them for me. My pro-ears are 5-6 years old, been used and abused and I broke the prong off, no fault of theirs. Dave told me to send both pairs and he would replace the prongs with a battery box in both and give them both a tune up. Don't know about ya'll but with customer service like that, I won't look at the competition.

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005
Re: Ear Gear [Re: Chris_C] #12843 01/31/2006 3:09 PM
shooter_44 Offline
I am using a pair of Peltor tactical 6S ear muffs right now. Price on the internet is around $75.00 from botachtactical.com and graf and sons. I am a law enforcement instructor and am able to wear these for long periods on the range. Living in Wyoming they keep my ears warm as well. Mine have been used now for 2 years and they are going strong. They run on "AAA" batteries and I am only on my third set.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod