Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PROJECTS! #211247 12/29/2021 5:51 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
It’s that time of the year so I figure some of you are like me and can’t leave things alone. When I figure out the picture thing again I’ll post pics but tell us about the projects your working on or having built. I’ve already mentioned two. One the Encore in 450 N.E. 3 1/4”, then the 41 Blackhawk Bisley conversion. Sitting in boxes in pieces I still have a Rohm 22lr single action, an Iver Johnson 32S&W. The latter has an interesting back story. It was a GI pistol my uncle carried in Vietnam. He was part of the 7th Cav Airmobile. He became a LRRP and then was sent to MAC SOG RECONDO school. He was killed by a sniper on a recon mission in the Iron Triangle. The gun was unusable and probably packed away which is how it ended up with my grandparents. One of the plastic US grips is broken but the interesting part is the notches on the back strap. I’ll never know whether they symbolized kills or not but it sets the mind to wondering. I plan to restore it to firing condition and maybe replace the grips and put the broken one in his shadow box with his medals and insignia.

I also have my tiger striped 500 Linebaugh that I built on a really rough frame that I need to either work on the frame or replace it. I have an old 03-A3 that was sporterized with a paper thin barrel so I picked up a take off barrel in 308 Norma mag with the bolt. I also have an SSK 375 JDJ barrel I picked up with stripped scope mounting holes. There are a couple more not to mention a bunch of Cerakoting to do. I still have friends and family bringing me guns to keep me busy. As some of you may remember I had my own shop but medical crap forced me to shut down. I think often about restarting it but more of a just build and sell guns instead of taking custom orders.

Anyways as you can see I have my work cut out for me so tell us what you have going or want to do.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: PROJECTS! [Re: wapitirod] #211249 12/29/2021 1:45 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
The 450 N.E. sounds interesting. I am thinking about a .475 #2 Jeffery in a Ruger #1. No I don't need it but need would take the fun out of it. I have seen where these guns have been built and the user worked up loads to take advantage of the huge powder capacity of the case. I have a 1968 1st model 444 Marlin in less than perfect condition that I am building into a hunting rifle par excellence. Getting one of Treebone's Walnut stocks, Skinner express sights with Talley rings and Leupold glass. Total refinish and the internals all tuned. I put it on hold during deer season. My .460 Rowland is getting a 2 dogs front mirror sight which will complete that gun unless I decide to put some fancy wood on it. Its always something..........

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: PROJECTS! [Re: wapitirod] #211258 12/30/2021 4:38 AM
gunslingerdad Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
recently picked up a ruger flattop 4 5/8" bisley in 44 special for my wife- looked all over for a mount for it as she will not shoot it open sighted at game. i finally drilled and tapped it and refabbed a weaver base to get it shooting. worked out great and shoots lights out.
project two is a savage striker rebarrel from 7-08 to 358 win. i ordered a stock from jim rockwell and a ER shaw barrel with a magnum contour. Chuck Williams cut down the barrel and put on a radial brake. still needs some stock profiling and final finish but it.

building some knives to fill a few orders so not much down time if i dont want to watch the hallmark channel

still Dave Thomas, just an alias so the gov't dont find me
;\)

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod