Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Range Gear #211646 07/09/2022 11:31 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
During my last four trips to shoot at the Range I have had my stapler borrowed twice. I could not believe anyone would go to the Range to shoot without a stapler and Targets at a minimum.
My Range Gear has evolved over the years. I now have an old plastic tool box that is approximately 8" wide X 9.5" tall X 21" long. This one had my Evidence Kit in it years ago. I have another one that looks just like it, that has CRAFTSMAN on it. In the box I have the following items:

Stapler
Box of 9/16 Staples with a Rubber Band around the box
Impact Sport Electronic Hearing Protection
Target Kit (Plastic box with 3x3 Post it Notes, 1" Painters Tape, and a roll of Scotch Tape)
4X4 Wooden Block 9.5" long (I set my Shot Sack Sand Bag on it)
Mini Shot Sack Sand Bag ( I had these sewn up at the Upholstery shop, they are about 7" long) (10" x 10" Canvas before sewing)
Small Brick Sandbag for under the Butt (2" x 3" x 4")
Big Brick Sandbag mainly used under the butt when cleaning (3" x 4" x 6")
Bubble Level 10" (a good quality one)
Scissors (To cut different size targets with)
12" Ruller (I use it to put lines on Targets)
Lead Pencil
Good Calculator
Laser Range Finder
Extra 9V Battery for my Chronograph or Range Finder
2 Black Spray Paint Lids (Used on my Bi-Pod feet)
Plastic Cutting Board ( I place this on the concrete bench using a Harris Bipod the above listed spray paint lids slide on the plastic board) I plan to cut it to fit in the box. My Gear Box is still evolving.

To be continued

See You At The Range
Re: Range Gear [Re: Bob Roach] #211647 07/09/2022 2:02 PM
K9TXS Offline
My range box is always in the back of the truck. Along with many of the items you mentioned, I also have a drummers chair, tripod, many different shooting rest to go with the tripod, a 2 step stool & 2 heavy adjustable shooting rest.

I use the adjustable shooting rest for sighting in only. I use the tripod most of the time with different rest on top. It does no good to go to the range and practice unless you're going to practice the way you hunt. Most of my shooting is standing, sometimes kneeling. Due to a knee replacement 2 years ago, most practice sessions are standing. I can get down, but it's tough getting up.

Re: Range Gear [Re: Bob Roach] #211648 07/09/2022 4:43 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well I had planned on going back and editing my original post after getting some stuff done for the wife. Looks like we now have a short edit period to tune things up.

I have pretty much Three ways I shoot:

My old Wichita Rest that I have had forever. I mainly reserve it for Rifle Shooting.

Bipod's: I have several Harris Bipods. I have pretty much went to the Bench Rest, Swivel, Notch Leg Model with Pod Locks added on the last few that I have bought. For best Range Results I will normally put the Rubber Bipod Feet in Spray Paint Can Lids and use a Poly Cutting Board under the lids for them to slide freely on. This eliminates the bipod crow hopping on the concrete bench, and also lets you slide the bipod around to line it up without loading it.

Shot Sack Sand Bag on a 4" x 4" Wooden Block: This is the set up I normally hunt with in my Tower Stands as well as my Ladder Stands. Good Lawrence Brand Shot Sacks are getting hard to come up with these days. Everyone is stocking cheaper shot that comes in basically a pillow case with a plastic liner. I purchased a couple yards of heavy white canvas at Hobby Lobby, and cut it up into 10" X 10" squares and had it sewn up on two sides at the local upholstery shop, making a shorty shot sack sand bag. Sand fill has always worked well, however for lighter weight bags I will fill them with poly pellets such as Beaney Baby Fill. I have noticed several of the Old Timers have went back to Shot Sack Sand Bags on a 4" X 4" block at the range.
Under the Butt I will use a small Brick Bag that is 2" X 3" X 4". I can adjust it for multiple heights as needed.

The Stapler I used forever was an Arrow T50, My latest one is a Stanley. The important thing is getting one that uses Arrow T50 staples. Our Range Targets are plywood with 1/2 or 5/8 Black Fiber Board over it. I was elected to the Board at the local Sportsman's Club in 1981 as the Rifle Range Representative. We have went through lots of target designs and materials over the last 41 years. Fiber Board over plywood has worked the best. Length of staples will depend on what you are stapling to. I normally use only 9/16" staples.

Scissors: I will adjust target sizes at the Range with Scissors. Card Stock makes great targets. I will adjust target sizes as the Range increases. One of my favorite Target Backers is heavy cardstock paper that comes on our pallets at the hardware store. I save all of them that are in good shape. They are 40" X 48" and make a great target backing to sight in on. I will use Bright Color Post It Notes or Card Stock for targets on the Card Board color backing sheet. I normally use the 1" Painters Tape mentioned in the first post to make a Vertical Line top to bottom on the Backer Sheet. I will place the Backer Sheet on the Target Frame using a Level to set the line Straight Up and Down. I will use either the 10" Torpedo Level mentioned above or a 24" Level to align the Backer Sheet. The 12" Ruler mentioned is used to make alignment marks on the Bright Colored Targets to get them centered on the Painters Tape Vertical Line. The Painters Tape gives you a reference to align the Cross Hairs straight up and down as well as giving you a reference to measure the Bullet Holes to make accurate scope adjustments.

The (Cardboard Color) Target Paster's I have in my Range Box are used to cover the bullet holes in the cardboard color backer sheet. I can use the same backer sheet all day at multiple ranges by just changing targets and pasting the bullet holes that are off the target.

Post It Note's make a very good informal target. I normally get a Bright Color in the 3" X 3" size. This size works pretty well at 100 yards. I can center the Cross Hair on the 3" X 3" target fairly well. I can normally use the 3" X 3" size at 200 yards also with my handgun hunting scopes. The Scotch Tape is used to anchor the targets to the backer sheet

For larger size targets I will cut cardstock to the desired size depending on the yardage as well as scope magnification.

The Laser Range Finder is not normally needed at the Range, however I decided to check the targets a while back and discovered a couple were off. The 200 has been overhaled multiple times over the years. Apparently fill has been added to the front making it shorter than 200 yards. I will have that fixed shortly when we have the berms overhaled again in a couple weeks.

Hearing Protection is a no Brainer. That should be in everyone's Range Box, along with Eye Protection.

The Extra 9V Battery is just handy to have. My Laser uses a 9V, my Chronograph uses a 9V and the Range Timers also use 9V.

Tape Measure: Handy for laying out the Backing Paper. I normally use a 48" Straight Edge at the Range, however I have an old fashion yard stick behind the seat in my Jeep to make long lines.

Calculator: This is handy for averaging velocity when using the Chronograph.

The Large Brick Sand Bag can be used for multiple things. Lately I use it under the Butt on my Nosler M48 Bolt Guns to elevate them, muzzle down when cleaning at the Range.

A note pad is also handy to have to make notes.

It sure is handy to have about every thing you need in one box to just grab and go to the Range.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: Range Gear [Re: Bob Roach] #211650 07/11/2022 4:52 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Sounds like you have it down pat.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Range Gear [Re: Bob Roach] #211654 07/12/2022 7:46 PM
wyote Offline
addict
addict
I have a range bag all set up like that. I also have a "hunting" bag that I can just grab when I go huntin.

Re: Range Gear [Re: Bob Roach] #211655 07/12/2022 9:45 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
wyote I also have a Hunting Gear Bag. Mine is in a Gym Bag style Camo Bag. I will probably cover it in a future post.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: Range Gear [Re: Bob Roach] #211687 07/22/2022 5:56 PM
COR Offline
stranger
stranger
Bob… do you have a cart or tractor. You don’t mess around.

I shoot at home and am thankful for it! I’ve been there and bought 5 guns for the range and they marked them. I bet they are gone now!

Re: Range Gear [Re: Bob Roach] #211698 08/01/2022 1:44 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
COR I have both a Tractor and a Polaris Ranger Side by Side.:)
I have not owned a car in over 30 years. At this time we have two Quad Cab, Ram 2500, 4x4 Pickup Trucks, and a Jeep Wrangler. No problem hauling gear to the Range.

Bob R

See You At The Range

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 51 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod