Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
22LR XP100 Build #211742 08/23/2022 5:19 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

I will start with a little history. Way back when I got my first Contender, which I am guessing was in the late 1980's or early 1990's. A 22 LR Super 14 barrel was on the original order list, along with a 7x30 barrel to deer hunt with. I have always enjoyed my trigger time with my Contender Rimfire barrel. It has always had the same Burris 2-7 scope as my hunting barrels until lately when I have added a couple of the new production Burris 2-7 scopes to the stable. The 22 Rimfire basically has been my practice/training/trigger time handgun, tuning up for deer season. I can make multiple trips to the Range, shooting up lots of ammunition with pretty much no impact on my wallet or time. I enjoy reloading, but it is nice to shoot a 22 LR and not need to reload the ammunition for it. I will spend time at the Range practicing getting on the bags and setting up the shot, just like I would during deer season stand hunting. It is very nice for the Practice/Training Handgun to be set up exactly like the one I am hunting with. Same Scope, Same Forend, same function. One of my favorite activities with the rimfire is shooting Clay Birds on the 100 yard Berm. No problem breaking a Clay Bird at 100 yards, but it gets more challenging breaking all the chips up until they are too small to see. As you can tell I really like my Contender 22 LR Barrel a lot.

At the moment I am working with a couple Nosler M48 Bolt Action Handguns. As I am sure most reading this know the Nosler M48 Handgun is a Center Grip, modernized version of the Remington XP100. I currently have an M48 in 6.5 Creedmoor, as well as one in 22 Nosler. The M48's are all Right Bolt, and Right Port. This is not a big problem for me as I have only Right Bolt Right Port Bolt Action Handguns at this time.
I have been doing a little thinking about a 22LR "Range/Practice/Training" Center Grip, Bolt Action Hand Gun with the same basic feel, function and Scope Eye Relief, (AND SCOPE) as my centerfire Nosler M48 that I Deer Hunt With. I starting reading and researching how to make this happen. I have called and e-mailed several on this site, as well as the Specialty Pistol site who have extensive knowledge of bolt action center grip handguns. What I discovered was that very few had any experience with a center grip 22 Rimfire build. I did learn a lot along the way however. Hoggin suggested that I just buy a Voodoo, which is very good sage advice, if Voodoo is building them at this time it is not obvious on the web site. No mention of a Center Grip 22 Rimfire Handgun on the web site that I could locate.

I really did not want to end up with $2500 to $3000 invested in my 22 Trainer if I did not have to. More research with an economy build in mind was on the agenda. UPDATE: Looking like I will be in the $1900 - $2000 Range by the time that I am done, and have what I want.

My research led me to Pacific Tool and Gauge. They are selling the Lone Star Action, as well as a Remington Custom Shop Single Shot Action for the 22 LR. The price at this time is $600 for either. That is as reasonable as a new undesignated action gets in 2022.

I just thought of something of importance to the build. The Original XP100 used a Remington 600 Single Shot Action. The Rimfire 40X action has the same footprint as a Remington 700SA. The 700SA is approximately 1/2 Inch longer than the Remington 600 action. This is an important consideration with the build. Lots of the late model Center Grip, Centerfire Builds are being done on 700 Short Actions now days. The Remington Short Action is longer than the XP100 action requiring the longer Trigger Linkage as well as a different Stock with a 700 Short Action Foot Print. The Remington and Lone Star 40X Actions are the same foot print as the 700 short action.

For a Center Grip Trigger you pretty much have Three ways to go.
ONE: Locate a factory take off trigger.
TWO: Buy a new Trigger from Del Taylor
THREE: Buy a new Trigger from Mike Dewey.

I am pretty sure with either the Dewey or Taylor Triggers that you can get them with the Extended Linkage used with the Remington 700 Short Action Build. Using a Remington XP100 take off trigger you will need to have the linkage extended, or buy the extended linkage from some one such as Mike Dewey.

I did some checking on a barrel. My local Gunsmith who builds very high end target rifles quoted me a price on a new barrel. His price for what I would get was reasonable. My thoughts at the time were that using a 40X Take-Off Barrel I probably had a very good chance that timing it would be fairly close. I wrongly assumed that a 40X Barrel would be marked Remington on the side. And last I assumed that a Take-Off Barrel would probably shoot about as well as I could with a 2.5-10X Scope.

Last but not least would be the Center Grip Stock. A take-off XP100 is the wrong foot print for our 40X build, so that leaves a couple options. Order a new Stock or advertise for a pre-owned stock.

THE BUILD

ACTION
I made an order with Pacific Tool and Gauge for a Remington Custom Shop 40X Single Shot Action. The Action is to be Right Bolt and Right Port, just like my two Nosler M48's. The action is to be marked XP100 instead of 40X. I have seen a picture of an original Remington Custom Shop XP100 in 22LR. I am hoping that I can replicate it as closely as possible. The Action has an 10 to 12 week wait from my order date of 3 August 2022.
TOTAL PRICE: $635

CENTER GRIP STOCK
I called Jim Rockwell of Rockwell Stocks to check on a Center Grip Stock. I was planning on waiting to order the Stock until he mentioned the 10 to 12 week wait time. The same as my Remington Action. This prompted me to go ahead with the order at that time.

I now have my Jim Rockwell Stock on order.

Stock: Center Grip Handgun "Right Hand"
"Foot Print" Remington 700SA (40X) Single Shot
Right Bolt
Right Port
Color: Nutmeg "Laminated"
Finish: Unfinished
Forend Length: 10" (2" longer than his standard stock forend length PLUS $20)
Forend Width: App 2"
Barrel Diameter: 1.170 Full Bull
TOTAL PRICE: $370

BARREL
I located a Take-off 40X Barrel on GB for $200 Plus Shipping. It did not end up have the Remington Roll Marks that I was hoping for, so it is probably a take-off from a CMP Barreled Action. Someone had started to set the barrel back and rechamber it. That will have to be addressed by setting the barrel back and re-threading and re-chambering it. This could end up being Bad or Good. The Barrel looks pretty good, now if it will shoot good enough to make me smile. My plan is to have the Barrel Finished at 15". HIND SIGHT: I would have went with a NEW Barrel if doing this over.
TOTAL PRICE: $234

TRIIGGER
I located a slightly used Remington XP100 Trigger Assembly for $100. I got all the parts needed to assemble the Complete Trigger Assembly except the Barrel Lug.
TOTAL PRICE: $100

BARREL LUG
I have an XP100 Center Grip Barrel Lug coming from Florida. I really expected it to be delivered yesterday. I should have it shortly.
TOTAL PRICE USED: $20

EXTENDED TRIGGER LINKAGE
Jim Rockwell "Rockwell Stocks" has an Extended Mike Dewey Trigger Link he will be shipping me shortly. I put my check in the mail 16 August 2022, so with luck it should arrive in another week or two.
TOTAL PRICE SHIPPED: $68

WHERE I AM AT
I have the 40X Barrel in hand
I have the Factory XP100 Center Grip Trigger in hand
Mike Dewey Extended (700SA) Trigger Link is on order from Rockwell Stocks
Barrel Lug is in the Mail coming from Florida
The Action is on order
The Stock is on order.

It will be rough shelving this project for 10-12 weeks waiting on the Stock and Action to arrive.

THE FINISHED PRODUCT
The finished product will be a 15" Full Bull Barreled Center Grip Remington XP100 in 22LR. It will have a Center Grip Laminated Stock in Nutmeg. It will be Right Bolt, Right Port, and use a Factory XP100 Trigger Assembly with Mike Dewey's Lengthened Trigger Linkage. It will have a Match Chamber and the Factory 40X Extractor Cuts.

More to come, as things progress.

Bob R

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211743 08/23/2022 8:19 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Update: The XP100 Center Grip Barrel Lug was delivered today. 23 August 2022.

The only other part that should show up any time soon would be the Mike Dewey XP100 (Extended for the Remington 700SA) Trigger Bar. This part is coming from Rockwell Stocks.

I have my XP100 22LR Scope on hand. I will be mounting a Weaver Classic Extreme 2.5-10X scope on the XP100. The Weaver Classic Extreme is a 30mm tube, with 50mm Objective scope equipped with Side Focus and Finger Turn covered knobs. It has almost as much eye relief on 2.5X as a Scout Scope. The eye relief decreases as the power goes up. At 2.5X on a Center Grip Handgun you pretty much have all the eye relief you need when shooting from Bags or a Bipod from a bench. After looking through the first Classic Extreme scope in the local gun store I ordered five more from Natchez before they were all gone.

This is the scope I have on my Deer Hunting Nosler M48 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

A have an 8-32X on my Nosler M48 in 22 Nosler.

I have another 2.5-10X on the wife's 1500 Howa Mini Action in 7.62x39. I also have one on my CZ 452 Varmint 22LR. I really like this scope. To bad it is no longer made. I still have a 2.5-10X spare that I may mount on my Contender 6.5x30JDJ Barrel.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211744 08/23/2022 9:04 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Watching

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211753 09/04/2022 1:58 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I got an e-mail from Rockwell Stocks. I have a package in the mail, with USPS Tracking Number.
This is probably my Mike Dewey Extended Trigger Link. It would sure be nice if the Stock was in the package also.
When this package arrives my "Waiting On Parts List" will be smaller.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211759 09/09/2022 11:23 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The package mentioned above ended up being the Mike Dewey Extended Trigger Link for the factory XP100 Center Grip Trigger.

The Rockwell Center Grip Stock and Remington Custom Shop Single Shot Action are the only parts I am still waiting on. Both could still be a couple months out. Both were ordered approximately one month ago with a 10-12 week wait on both from the order date. I am hoping that 12 weeks does not pass with out delivery of the parts.

Waiting on parts is not something that I enjoy.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211764 09/11/2022 1:36 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I have been doing some thinking. I believe I will do a good cleaning on my Take-Off Barrel today. The Gun Smith will be open Monday. I will have him bore scope the barrel after getting it spotless and make sure it is not a Tomato Stake. I would rather find this out now, and have time to order a new barrel, than wait until I have all the parts to find out my old barrel is junk. I have high hopes the take off barrel shortened from both ends will be fine.
Best to know for sure however.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211882 11/13/2022 2:02 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
My 10 - 12 week wait has went by already. At week 13 I decided to call both Rockwell Stocks as well as Pacific Tool and Gauge for an update.

Jim Rockwell called me back. He should have the stock in production next week. I made a change to the order and had him finish the stock in Satin. I also added his Heavy Use Bipod Stud which screws into an Aluminum Block bedded into the wooden stock. That moved my Total price on the Stock to $475.

The lady at PTG did not know the status of my order, but said some one would get back with me.
To my surprise I got an e-mail update. Per the e-mail the Action should be shipped by the end of November.

I might have it up and running by Christmas with lots of Luck. I am not holding my breath however. I will be a lot more confident when I have both the Stock and Action in hand.

Why I added the Bipod Stud. I have been shooting/hunting with Contenders and Encores with the BullBerry Hanger Bar System holding the forend. This set up and hard kicking handguns is not a very good combination when a Harris Bipod is added to the mix. Recoil is hard on the dovetail hanger. So I had started just using a 4" X 4" block with a shot sack sand bag for the front rest. Now that I have went from Encores to the Nosler M48 I have started using a Harris Swivel, Bench Rest, Notch Leg Bipod, with Pod Loc on both by 6.5 CM and 22 Nosler M48's. As the 22LR XP100 will be my Practice/Training handgun pretty much replicating the Bolt Action Noslers, I need to be shooting it with a bipod also. When I made the order I had planned to hunt with the M48 with a Sand Bag under the forend. I have ended up using a Harris Bipod when hunting from my Tower Stand.

I am looking forward to getting the 22LR XP100 up and running.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211916 11/30/2022 12:54 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
UPDATE
29 November 2022

Pacific Tool & Gauge
Per Jennifer Smith my XP100 Rimfire Action is in Inspection and should ship shortly.

Rockwell Stocks
Per Jim Rockwell my Stock should have been sanded yesterday, and should ship by Monday 5 December 2022 at the latest.

Looks like progress is being made. With luck I will be able to deliver all my parts to Hunts Long Range located near Summersville Missouri in December. Ryan will cut the Remington 40X Barrel to 16", and Thread, Chamber, and make Extractor Cuts on the back end, and Crown the front end. Ryan is mostly known for his centerfire Match Rifle work, however he has built several Rimfire Tactical Match Rifles. He will also need to change the Trigger Linkage over to the Remington Short Action Linkage by Dewey.
I am starting to get excited that I will get to shoot it shortly.

I sure hope that I am smiling Ear to Ear when I see the Remington Custom Shop XP100 Rimfire Action. I sent PTG a picture of an Original XP100 in 22LR so that they would know how it should be marked. I am really hoping that the Remington and XP100 Logo's are stamped like an original, and not done with a laser. I have pretty high expectations on what I want it to look like when completed.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211917 11/30/2022 2:08 PM
gunslingerdad Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
what a great training tool. I hope it comes out exactly as you have it planned.

still Dave Thomas, just an alias so the gov't dont find me
;\)
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211919 12/01/2022 5:24 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I got a UPS Tracking Number today.
I was called by Jim Rockwell and asked about the Safety. He had a question before taking the stock off the fixture. I am sure he did not get it sanded and finished today, so that would indicate that the Action is what has shipped.
It is looking promising that I will have both the action and stock in hand next week.
This will be the most drawn out build I have done to date. Looking like 5 months start to finish getting it together. That is provided the gunsmith can get it in production shortly. Having all the parts gathered up should help, he has a shop full of custom rifles waiting on parts to be delivered.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211923 12/02/2022 12:26 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The Tracking Number ended up being an Ameriglo CAP Sight Set for my Glock G38.3 ordered on the Cyber Monday deal at Midway. I noticed the weight on the Pending Pickup Notice was in Ounces, which led me to believe it was not a Center Grip Stock or Action. I decided to log in at Midway and check my order status. It was pending with the same Tracking Number.

I am guessing Midway must have been swamped with orders, as the sight has not shipped yet. Normally I would have had the order in hand by now. They must have issued a Pending Tracking Number so it looked like something was happening.

No word from Rockwell Stocks or Pacific Tool & Gauge telling me their order has shipped so far.

AND The Wait Continues.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211943 12/10/2022 12:18 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
That tracking number was for a CAP Sight Set for a Glock from Midway. That was the first time a Midway order took a week and a half to be delivered. They must have had a very busy Cyber Monday

10 December and no tracking numbers for the Stock or Action so far.
I did get an email from PTG saying that it should ship the 16th. I will not be holding my breath, but maybe I am getting closer to getting the rest of the parts.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211972 12/19/2022 1:25 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I now have a UPS Tracking Number for the Rockwell Stock.
It has not shipped, but a Tracking Number has been generated.
Looks like I am making some progress.
Now if Pacific Tool and Gauge would get my action shipped.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211974 12/19/2022 1:40 PM
K9TXS Offline
You might get the action around February. PT&G is a terrible company to deal with.

Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211977 12/19/2022 10:54 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K9TXS I just got off the phone with PT&G. I did not talk with anyone in person who knew anything. I am sure when I do get a response, my action will be shipping shortly. "Wink Wink"
I put in my order 3 August 2022, with a 10-12 week delivery date. The 12 week date would have been up 3 November 2022.
My first inquiry 9 November 2022, it was in production, and should be done 11-23-2022.
Then on 11-29-2022 it was in Inspection.
I then got a notification from PT&G that it should ship 12-16-2022.

The response to my latest inquiry 19 December 2022 "will probably be" that my Special Order Action is in Advanced Inspection.

I am guessing that your February 2023 delivery date is probably accurate.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211978 12/20/2022 1:29 PM
K9TXS Offline
Like so many others, I have dealt with them a lot over the years. In maybe the past 4 years, their service has become nightmares. I have placed orders on the phone and was told the item was in stock and it should be shipped in a couple of days. A month later it arrived.

I could go on and on about what a sorry company PT&G is now, but I don't want to be banned from this forum.

Good luck on your build. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your build.

Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211982 12/22/2022 9:53 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Per UPS Tracking the Rockwell Stock is in route, and I should have it next Wednesday 28 December 2022. All the Christmas shipping is probably slowing delivery down. I am really looking forward to seeing the stock.
After getting the stock I will be dead in the water until I get the action to Hunt's Long Range to have the barrel installed.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211994 12/30/2022 12:26 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
29 December 2022
My stock arrived from Jim Rockwell's shop today.
IT LOOKS GREAT!!

Nutmeg Laminate, with a Satin Finish.
The Forend is Flat and Two Inches wide. Sand Bag Friendly, just like I wanted it to be.
The Forend is Ten Inches long measured from the Barrel Lug forward.
The Stock has Aluminum Pillars for the stock bolts.
It came with new Allen Stock Bolts.
The finished product surpasses what I had expected.
I am very happy with the finished product.

Now if Pacific Tool & Gauge will get in gear and make my action. I am not getting any younger.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211995 12/30/2022 1:30 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
29 December 2022 Update:
UPS delivered my "Jim Rockwell JR" XP100 Center Grip Stock today.

Rockwell Stocks
626 6th Ave West
Kalispell Montana 59901
(406) 260-6020
Sales@rockwellstocks.com

I am really impressed with his work on this project.
The XP100 Center Grip Stock made for a Remington 700SA /40X is made from a blank of Nutmeg Laminate. It looks pretty much like a real walnut stock at first glance. It is finished in Satin. The Barrel Channel is cut for the Full Bull Barrel. It has a 2" Wide X 10" forend. It looks to be very Sand Bag Friendly. Just like I wanted it. A NOTE: The Forend Length on an XP100 stock is measured from the Barrel Lug Forward. Considering the Trigger is mounted to the Barrel Lug the forend really ends up a couple inches shorter than what you might envision it being. From the Barrel Lug/Trigger to the front of the Trigger Guard measures approximately Two Inches. This means that the actual useable forend on a stock ordered as a 10" is only 8". I ordered this stock with a Ten Inch Forend, which ended up being perfect for me. I believe the standard forend length was Eight Inches. I paid a little extra for the other two inches, and I am glad I did.
Jim installed the Aluminum Block in the forend to mount the Bipod Stud to. He did however miss installing the Stud itself. This probably ended up being a blessing. I do have an adapter for using a Bipod on a Flat forend stock. I will probably have my Gunsmith install the Stud using the adapter plate to determine the best location to mount the stud.
The Grip was ordered as Right Hand, and fits my right hand perfectly. I really wish that I had a chance to feel the ambidextrous version. The bottom of the grip has a nice flare to it that should work great with a sandbag under it.
The Total Cost ended up being $475. This included the extra 2" forend length, aluminum bedding block for the Bipod Stud, Satin Finish, and Shipping.
The stock ended up being nicer than I had hoped for. The delivery time ended up being just under Five Months by the time UPS managed to make delivery. UPS managed to take Twelve Days making delivery. It was Christmas however.

Now if Pacific Tool & Gauge will get my Action in production, I will be able to move forward on the build. I did a little reading on PT&G. I ran into a Chart showing the employee level of the company over a few years. It looks like they are about 25% Under Staffed the last two years. I would guess that the missing staff are all skilled machine operators. That could explain why they have such slow delivery on orders.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #211996 12/30/2022 2:54 PM
K9TXS Offline
Photos?

Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212020 01/21/2023 8:12 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
UPS delivered the Rockwell Stock, and it looks very good.

I got an email from Stan the FFL Contact Person at Pacific Tool & Gauge Friday 1-20-2023 stating that my action should ship next week. Fingers Crossed that it will show up in the next couple weeks, but not Holding my Breath just yet.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212041 02/11/2023 4:04 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The above tracking number was for parts from Midway.

I did get the Rockwell Stock, and it looks very good.

I was notified today 02/10/2023 that my Action has shipped. Per UPS it is IN TRANSET and should arrive 02/16/2023.
Now if it is Stamped Correctly, and the Quality of the build is acceptable. I will be a happy camper.

I should have all the parts at Hunt's Long Range on 02/20/2023 to start putting it together.

I ran the date code on my 40X Rimfire Take Off Barrel. The Full Bull Barrel is very clean, and does not look to have been handled much at all. Very nice finish, no wear or rust on it. I figured it was probably 1980's production. Was I way off. The Barrel Code is JUNE 1955.

More to come as I make progress.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212042 02/11/2023 3:30 PM
K9TXS Offline
Post pictures when you get the action and the completed build.

Here's how to post if you're not familiar with the procedure;

Use the: Use Full Editor in the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page.

Then go over to the 9th icon just below the Post. The icon is just to the right of the yellow face.

Another box will come up for a URL. Then you'll need to enter the link where you resized the image. I use [img]https://picasion.com/[/img]Picasion but there are many others out there to use as well.

Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212047 02/14/2023 12:55 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K9TXS it looks like your forecasted delivery date of February was spot on. SIX and One Half Months. I guess that it could have taken longer. smile

I am waiting on pins and needles hoping that they got all the Stamps Correct on the action. The original XP100 in 22 Long Rifle is stamped just like a 40X Rimfire Rifle on the Left Front of the Action. 22 Long Rifle over the Serial Number. Then instead of 40X under Remington it has Model XP100.
If PT&G is more than just the Remington Custom Shop In Name Only, they should own all the Stamps to make this happen correctly. By now my faith level in them getting this project done correctly is not very high.

Patiently or NOT, waiting another couple days for it to arrive at my FFL's Shop.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212052 02/19/2023 2:26 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I now have the PT&G Remington Custom Shop Action in hand.

ACTION QUALITY
First off, the action looks great. It comes with a Picatinny Rail Scope Base. On the rear of the action, on the Left Side it has a very nice Push Button Bolt Release. Moving to the front of the action, it has a hole to pin the Barrel Lug. Nice Touch. The Bolt Handle has a Flat Black Finish, with a round knurled Bolt Knob that looks to unscrew, and be changeable. The Bolt Knob is more of a gloss Black, and looks good. Inside the action we have a bolt on Cartridge Chute that looks to be very well made.

STOCK FIT
My Jim Rockwell Stock was made for a Remington 700 Short Action, which is the foot print for the 40X Rimfire Action. The PT&G 40X Action to Stock Fit is very good. The Bolt Handle cut out is perfect. The ejector port Cut Out on the stock is sized for a Centerfire Action. It extends back approximately 5/8" past the back of the shorter Rimfire Ejector Port. If one were to swap stocks around later on, this might be a good thing. The action looks very good in the stock. smile

BARREL MARKINGS
Pacific Tool and Gauge does not mark the 40X Action exactly like the original. I guess I can see why with all of the possible chamberings that could be done on this action today. The original Remington 40X is marked 22 Long Rifle over the Serial Number on the Left Front of the Action. The Pacific Tool & Gauge 40X Action is marked with the Serial Number on top. PTG-25XXX Under that is Pacific Tool & Gauge with White City OR being the third line down. The markings are very well executed, and look good. NOW TO THE IMPORTANT STAMPINGS Across from the ejector port on the Left Side we have Remington with the Circle R trade mark with MODEL XP-100 under it. It looks as good as it can get.

POSSIBLE CHANGE IN DIRECTION
I had a BIG Surprise when I opened the box. The action was not Blued, it was Stainless Steel. I had not anticipated this at all. I will need to talk with my Gunsmith tomorrow and see if we are going to Cerakote the Action, or get a new SS Barrel, and leave it stainless. I am leaning towards the new 15" Tapered Barrel Option.

So far I am a Happy Camper. More to come.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212053 02/19/2023 2:41 PM
K9TXS Offline
Photos? If you're not sure how to post photos look at this.

Use the: Use Full Editor in the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page.

Then go over to the 9th icon just below the Post. The icon is just to the right of the yellow face.

Another box will come up for a URL. Then you'll need to enter the link where you resized the image. I use Picasion but there are many others out there to use as well.

Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212055 02/20/2023 4:17 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I was mistaken about the Action being Stainless Steel. A magnet sticks to it, so it must just be chrome molly in the White.

I will see if I can figure the Posting Pictures Process out when I get it together.

Headed to Hunt's Long Range in the morning to get the Build Started.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212058 02/21/2023 3:05 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Monday 2/20/2023 I dropped all the parts off at Hunt's Long Range Gunsmithing Shop at Summersville Missouri.
They build Target Rifles in both Centerfire as well as Rimfire. My XP100 build is in good hands.

We decided to Ceracoat both the Action & Barrel in Black so they match.
Ryan will install a Sling Stud in the correct location for the Harris "Flat Forend" Adapter while he is putting it together. The Rockwell Stock was ordered with a Two Inch Wide Forend that is Flat on the bottom, and Sand Bag Friendly. The Two Inch Wide and Flat parts means it is not Harris Bipod Friendly without the Adapter. Note: The forend has Rockwell's Extreme Duty Aluminum Plate installed for the Bipod Stud.
The Factory XP100 trigger assembly looks to be new. I am guessing it came off an action used for a single shot benchrest rifle build years ago.
Ryan will install the Dewey Extended Linkage for the 700 SA length action.
The Barrel will be Marked "22 Long Rifle" spelled out.
I told Ryan that I will probably be shooting mostly SK Match Ammunition through it. This may impact which chamber he puts in the barrel. Keep in mind this is not a Target Pistol Build. I am building this XP100 as my practice Deer Hunting Handgun. It will have the same exact Weaver 2.5-10X, 30mm, Classic Extreme Scope that I have on my Nosler M48 in 6.5CM. I will probably put a 20X scope on it first to see just how accurate it can be, before installing my hunting scope.
Now the wait begins.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212059 02/21/2023 3:50 PM
K9TXS Offline
What type of rest will you use when hunting with the Nosler?

Re: 22LR XP100 Build [Re: Bob Roach] #212071 03/10/2023 11:11 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K9TXS: This last deer season I used a Harris Short Swivel Benchrest Bipod, with a Pod Lock installed, with a Rear Squeeze Bag under the butt.

As of March 10th 2023 we are again waiting on parts. The barrel has been cut to 15 inches. The barrel has been Chambered with a 22 Long Rifle Match Chamber Reamer. The barrel has been marked 22 Long Rifle on the left side. The one piece scope base that came with the action has been rebuilt into a Two Piece to gain better access to the chamber for loading.
All the metal parts have been Ceracoated in Satin Black.
When Ryan got to final assembly, he could not get the old factory XP100 Trigger with Mike Dewey's Extended Linkage to work.
I now have a Dell Taylor Trigger on order. Per the Tracking Number I should have it delivered Saturday.
With some luck I may have the XP100 up and running the week of March 13. Looks like I am getting Close to shooting it.
We may still Glass Bed the Action. Per Ryan at Hunt's Long Range, he will see if he thinks glass bedding will gain us anything when he gets it all together and running.
It is going to look very good when completed. I will need to get Posting Picture figured out again. This should be the SECOND Remington XP100 in 22 Long Rifle built to date. The first one was built by the Remington Custom Shop around 1987.

Bob R

See You At The Range

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod