Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Missouri Deer Season 2022 #211895 11/17/2022 12:15 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
This Deer Season got off to a bumpy start in the Missouri Ozarks. We went from unseasonably Warm to Blue Cold over night just as the season opened. We had lows in the 50's at night and upper 70's to 80 during the day. Then virtually over night it went into the Teen's at night and a high in the mid 20's with 1.5 inches of powdered snow on the ground opening morning. I am not sure what this triggered, but the deer were very scarce over night also.
Saturday Morning I did not see anything.
Saturday afternoon at 4:15 I spotted a shooter quality buck, however my the time I spotted him, I did not have any time to get on him. I had him insight as he circled a 40 acre hay field, staying in the edge of the woods line almost all the way around the field.
At 4:45 I had a spike buck come by at probably 40 yards. He circled around and went by my brothers stand a little later. He had also made the rounds past Stans stand before getting to mine. If he gets some horns he will need to get a lot more cautious.
Sunday I did not see a thing.
Monday again nothing from the stand. However I had three does beside the house in the pasture when I got home.
Tuesday morning was a bust. However Tuesday evening I had a group of four does come into the hay field around 5 PM soon followed by two more does a few minutes later.

I work Wednesday - Friday at the Hardware store so no hunting time. Wednesday I did start seeing deer again. I spotted two in a hay field going to work. On the way home I spotted 10 or more in the neighbors small pasture beside the house. I next had a buck cross Infront of me before getting to my house. At 10PM when the wife was getting ready for bed she called be back to the front bedroom, and we had two does in the yard under the yard light. When I went to bed at midnight we were up to Five under the yard light in the yard.

I now have some faith that things are getting back to normal.

I will be back out Saturday Morning with the Nosler M48 in 6.5CM. I have high hopes to draw First Blood with it this weekend.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: Missouri Deer Season 2022 [Re: Bob Roach] #211896 11/18/2022 12:35 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
They have been dropping some big deer here in central Ky. this year. The local store runs a big buck contest and every category has a 200 inch + deer, gross score in it. The wife has been seeing deer but nothing she wants yet. Good Luck and hang in there yours will come.

junebug
Re: Missouri Deer Season 2022 [Re: Bob Roach] #211897 11/19/2022 4:11 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The last three nights, "Wednesday Thursday, and Friday" I have had two deer in the front yard.
I did not see any deer at all Saturday Morning in the Tower Stand.

I did use the Toe Warmers this morning. I am sold, they work very well. They activate when you get them out of the sealed package, and expose them to air. The ones I have come with a peel and stick tape on one side to stick them to your socks. I put them on the bottom of my heavy boot socks under my toes. I should have been using them years ago.

I used the hand warmers last weekend. Again a great product I should have been using a long time ago. I put one in each hand pocket on my parka.

I did a little tune up work on the interior of the tower stand Tuesday. I moved the Hook for my pistol case from the East Wall to the South wall. I also added six more hooks to hold up my Military Camo Netting that covers the window openings.

I have one more item on my tune up list. I need to pick up a chair pad for my swivel seat. This should make the seat a little warmer to set on. It is not terrible, but could be better.

Bob R

See You At The Range
Re: Missouri Deer Season 2022 [Re: Bob Roach] #211898 11/20/2022 1:53 AM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
They have battery operated heating pads to sit on. Toe warmers are the best. Great invention.

Re: Missouri Deer Season 2022 [Re: Bob Roach] #211901 11/22/2022 1:35 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
It is 6:20 AM, Tuesday, 22 November 2022. And the Wind is blowing yet again. This is the last day of the Regular Firearms Deer Season here in Missouri. I have decided to use the day building up my wood pile, and repairing a leaking stock tank. I need to build up my wood pile, and tagging a deer today would end up being a problem processing it. Between Work Wednesday, Thanksgiving Thursday, and Visiting with the Kids that we do not see very often, processing a deer would end up being a problem. With any luck things will be back to normal by 24 December when the Alternative Methods Portion opens. Handgun Season as I like to call it runs from 24 December thru 3 January. We also have the Antlerless Portion running from 3 thru 11 December. I can only tag One Buck, so I would need to tag a Doe to use my second tag.

I have pretty much worked all the bugs out of the new Tower Stand. I have a problem looking West into the Sun of an evening. I ended up moving my 12" X 26" Handgun Case for my Nosler M48 Right and hanging it by the Carry Strap from the hook located in the Southwest corner of the stand. It hangs down approximately 8 Inches below the top of the window opening. This does a good job blocking the Sun out of my eyes just like the sun visor in a car.
I sorted through Seat Pads left over from several Ladder Stands, and found one that will work well on my Swivel Chair.

The Hand Warmers and Toe Warmers work well. It is easier to stay in the stand longer with Warm Hands and Feet.

Between now and Handgun Season I will try and spend some time confirming my come-ups at the Range in Cold Weather. I have a High 90's Zero on the Nosler M48 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I am running Hornady 120 grain ELD-M bullets over RL17 powder. I can tell that my speed is down from a High 90's zero. This is not a huge problem as in all probability my shots would not be over 150 yards. However they could be. I have lasered the hay field, and I could shoot all the way out to 400 yards. My last Range Trip, I had to add 1/2 Minute Up to be on at 400 yards. That was with temperatures being much warmer than 20 degrees. I have a Drop Chart with Come-Ups to 400 yards stapled to the East wall of the Tower Stand above the window covering the Hay Field. Correcting the Drop Chart for Winter Weather would be handy if I ever do decide to make a long shot. I would not attempt a long shot without correcting the Chart for Cold Weather. One thing I did verify was that I can read the Chart pretty much till closing time. I do need to Type the Chart up on the computer with large Numbers so that it is even easier to read from Three Feet away.

The wait is on for the next Portion of the Missouri Deer Season. With any luck the bucks will be back in my area from where ever they went.

Bob R

See You At The Range

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod