Next Thread
Print Thread
BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) #13199 02/12/2006 8:07 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
BATFE ABUSE AT RICHMOND, VA GUN SHOWS

On February 15, the U.S. House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security will hold an oversight hearing (the first of three BATFE-related hearings) to investigate apparent wrongdoing by BATFE at a Richmond, VA gun show last August.

In 2004-05, a troubling pattern emerged at a number of Richmond, VA-area gun shows, where hundreds of BATFE agents and state and local police staked out local shows. Immediately upon learning of these incidents, NRA began investigating and working to ensure congressional oversight hearings would be held to determine any wrongdoing and ensure BATFE was not overstepping its bounds or violating the law.

BATFE agents copied lawful gun purchase transaction records and provided this information to local police officers, who in turn conducted "residency checks." Federal law prohibits the release of this information except in the course of a bona fide criminal investigation. The information provided to local police prompted multiple instances of officers showing up at the homes of those who lawfully purchased firearms from licensed dealers. When the lawful purchasers were not at home, agents questioned family members (for example, inquiring of a wife if she knew her husband was at a gun show and/or had purchased a firearm) or their neighbors. In other cases, reports surfaced of lawful gun owners and holders of valid carry permits having their firearms confiscated.

Those interested in watching the hearing online may do so at http://judiciary.house.gov/schedule.aspx. The hearing is scheduled to begin at approximately 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 15.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) [Re: wapitirod] #13200 02/12/2006 9:47 PM
TomC Offline
I think it is about time to do away with the BATF. What useful function do they perform?

Re: BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) [Re: wapitirod] #13201 02/12/2006 10:38 PM
jim257 Offline
addict
addict
thats great...your own goverment coming to your house and sicking your wife on your unsuspecting a**!just when you think you enjoyed a afternoon at the gun show,you come home to a chewing...blah,blah,blah!we live in a great country but ya gotta wonder about the actual govt!
i guess they cant catch binladen so they will make it rough on who ever gets in there way!why do they worry about the legal transactions when there are so many illegal transactions?
around these parts there is a "trading post"(a local publication)that you can but goats,guitars,or guns...you name it they sale it!all person to person...if someone has a rocket launcher for sale,they call their add in,it is published then next week when it comes out anyone who wants it calls and sets up a meeting and presto...ya got a rocket launcher!
but if a man goes to a controlled gun show where the rules and regulations are adheared to,the govt.has no buisness snooping!jim257...(p.s. govt.man my wife and i are both working 2nd shift now ,you may catch her at wal-mart !)

get-r-done
Re: BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) [Re: jim257] #13202 02/13/2006 1:05 AM
SCOTTx88 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I was at that show,Didn't see all the police cars out back though.I did hear them announce that they have a "Special" Room upstairs dedicated to NCIC checks,so everything would be faster,Faster to violate your rights.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” Karl Marx/BHO
Re: BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) [Re: wapitirod] #13203 02/13/2006 11:35 AM
mikeflo44 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Hey,
You can take flying lessons and tell the instructor you have any interest in learning how to land the plane and they don't bat an eye lash. Because this is what they are busy with.

Re: BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) [Re: wapitirod] #13204 02/14/2006 3:01 PM
RSA_LT Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Welcome to my world. Great having a government that believes normal law abiding citizens can't be trusted. No Problem - ciminals don't obey laws so let them have firearms - lets go police the soft targets!!!!

Re: BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) [Re: RSA_LT] #13205 02/14/2006 8:50 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
well you know catching real criminals may cause the use of the four letter word all government employees fear "WORK"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) [Re: wapitirod] #13206 02/14/2006 9:41 PM
Geems3 Offline
stranger
stranger
I bet they never paid the admission fee either.

Re: BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) [Re: wapitirod] #13207 02/18/2006 1:23 AM
TKG Offline
stranger
stranger
http://judiciary.house.gov/oversight.aspx?ID=214

My brother was at this show on Sunday and said it was crawling with cops.

Re: BATFE ABUSE (NRA POSTING) [Re: TKG] #13208 02/18/2006 3:36 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist

On Wednesday, February 15, the U.S. House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security heard testimony from individuals affected by heavy-handed enforcement tactics of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) at a gun show in Richmond, Virginia last August.

According to the gun show organizer, Annette Gelles of Showmasters, dozens of BATFE and local law enforcement officers intrusively questioned dealers and customers, tried to discourage people from buying guns, and stopped show attendees on the roads after they left. In some cases, customers' lawfully purchased guns were confiscated, and returned only when the customers visited BATFE's office for more questioning. In other cases, local police officers visited gun buyers' homes to conduct "residency checks"-intrusive questioning of family members and even neighbors.

One show visitor, James Lalime, a private citizen who sometimes works for a dealer at the local gun shows, testified that he was interrogated by BATFE and other law enforcement personnel who accused him of dealing in firearms without a license. John White, a show exhibitor, licensed dealer, and former police officer, testified that he appreciates law enforcement officials' efforts to prevent illegal sales, but that enforcement activities went too far-especially in focusing on buyers who were women or members of minority groups. Suzanne McComas, an investigator for NRA-ILA, also testified and provided sworn affidavits from individuals who were singled out for BATFE attention, apparently on the basis of race or sex.

The subcommittee members were upset with what they heard. Subcommittee Chairman Howard Coble (R-NC) questioned whether the operations were "a proper allocation of resources," and suggested that "49 law enforcement officers could have found a better way to curb criminal activity in the Richmond area." Over the next few months, the same subcommittee expects to hold additional oversight hearings on this and other BATFE activities, including both citizen witnesses and BATFE officials. Watch the Grassroots Alert for more details as they're available.

If you missed Wednesday's hearing, you can view it in its entirety at http://judiciary.house.gov/oversight.aspx?ID=214

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod