Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? #13923 03/20/2006 11:28 AM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
With the talk about bivy hunting I think I am going to start gathering the needed items for this style of hunting. I have a Coleman pack w/ a polymer frame that's left over from my brother's days as a Boy Scout. I carry it with some weight from time to time when walking for exercise. Seems comfortable and fits well...but it's the only one I have ever tried so there may be better...I'm sure there is but this one may work for now.

I've also been looking at the Hennessey Hammock for a shelter...seem to be pretty neat...but that does not always mean it wil work. Anyone use one??

Anyhoo...how about listing the contents of your pack that is used for a single night or multiple nights in the wild. Thanks!!

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: Dan B.] #13924 03/20/2006 10:18 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I carry more than a lot of people because I usually hunt alone. Here is a partial list of what I carry.

Zero degree mummy bag & bivy sack packed in a compression bag, 3/4 length self inflating sleeping pad, 3-4 days food supply, small stove and fuel (unless using MRE's), small aluminum pan (from a mess kit, unless using MRE's), water bladder with in-line filter, water purification tablets, two pair of socks, stocking hat, gloves, jacket, map, compass, 2 folding knives, compact knife sharpener, game bags, 6'X4' thin plastic sheet (use as a drop cloth when field dressing game), rain gear, first aid kit, toilet paper, scent free moist towels, LED headlamp with spare batteries, approx. 50' orange flagging tape, matches, lighter, fire starter, space blanket, camera & film.

I'm sure I am forgetting several things, but thats most of what I carry. In the first aid kit I carry a minimum of moleskin, aspirin, rolaids, sutures, decongestant tablets, hand sanitizer and bandages.

The fire starter is cotten balls saturated in Vasoline stored in film canisters. I carry a few of these along with lighters and matches in my pack, and in my pockets.

I usually strap two packs together when going in, the second pack is hung in a tree a few miles in along the route I plan to exit the area. This pack should have a higher capacity for packing out game than the pack I carry when hunting. In the second pack I carry more food, more first aid supplies, at least one change of clothes, spare batteries for any electronic items I carry (GPS, rangefinder, etc.), spare ammo/cleaning kit (or archery supplies depending on the season) and possibly a one man tent if the forcast for that week looked like there was a chance of severe weather. I dont care for a bivy sack when the weather gets real bad. Every few days you can return to this pack to restock.

It sounds like a lot to carry, but like I said in the other "bivy" post, you burn less energy by not hiking to and from a camp all the time. Every evening I set up a low impact camp near where I want to hunt the next day. It only takes a few minutes to set up and break camp. Try to pick light weight gear. Titanium is lighter than aluminum for cooking gear, but I can't bring myself to pay that much more for a couple of ounces. Also, space is almost as important as weight, compression sacks will cut the space your spare clothes and sleeping bag take up in half.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: pab1] #13925 03/20/2006 10:34 PM
hntrjohn Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

The fire starter is cotten balls saturated in Vasoline stored in film canisters. I carry a few of these along with lighters and matches in my pack, and in my pockets.

Want a great backup fire starter?? Be careful how you pack this--
Take a 9 volt battery and wrap duct tape or electrical tape around it several times to cover the contacts. That way you have a supply of tape at your disposal and you are protecting the battery. In a "SEPARATE" ziplock bag pack some FINE steel wool. If you run out of matches or any other of your fire starter take dry grass and make a small birds nest, place the steel wool under the nest and touch the 9 volt battery to the wool. Watch how fast you have a fire going. If you try this at home to test it out, please be sure you are in a safe area because the steel wool fires up instantly. Many homes have burnt because people throw 9 volt batteries in the trash and dont realize how fast they will ignite certain materials. I keep this in my survival kit when hunting in unfamiliar territory or bivy hunting.

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: hntrjohn] #13926 03/20/2006 11:12 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have heard of using a 9 volt and steel wool, but I still have not tried it. One thing I did not mention is that I never start a fire while bivy hunting. I only carry the matches, etc for an emergency. I try to set up camp in a group of trees, or near the edge of timberline to keep me out of sight. Even if I did not see game near camp before turning in, it's not unusual to have deer or elk feeding close to my camp in the morning. Needless to say a fire would probably alert them.

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: Dan B.] #13927 03/21/2006 1:47 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Like Pab1 said-it depends on how long you plan to go into your bivy area. I carry evrything, in compression sacs or bags, lashed to a Bull-Pacs frame. It is the only frame that I can carry an Elk quarter without destroying my shoulders and back. When we bivy we usually carry trail mix, a few MRE's (heavy), canned Tuna or chicken in water(no smell) but prefer MRE entree's only! For us, breakfast is a pack of instant oatmeal, and granola dry slammed with filtered water. A few packets of Tang is a given. The esentials are a given too, but we've given up on the 'baby-wipes' as they are heavy and always tend to freeze for us. a small cloth, soap, and hand towel works just fine and is pretty light. We usually only bivy for 2 nights, then go back to base camp, rest, clean up, then either go back for meat, or move bivy to another area. Hiking in six miles, setting base, then going another 5 or six to scout and bivy and killing an Elk there makes for a long week! My 6x6 and my cousins 4x4 was 12 miles from the truck! All of our bivy camps are cold too; We've had Elk within 15 feet of our tents and never spooked. It is something that everyone that loves the wilderness should try. It can be very errie, and the nights can be very long, but hearing and seeing the animals in the meadow just before first light 40 yards form you is a sight to behold. Ou rpacks going to set up base run between 75-80, but our bivy is limited to -10 bag, therma-rest pad, day-pack with essential survival gear, 2 1/2 days of food, ammo, and a 12x12 green tarp to fold ovre as a cover. We have bivys, but this works well as a cover. It is light, can be set up as a pup tent, or just as a lean-to

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #13928 03/21/2006 6:41 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Gerry, 12 miles is a loooong haul to pack an elk out! That truck must have looked mighty nice when it came into view. I have been looking at the Bull-Pac frame for a while. It sounds like I should have picked one up a long time ago. I had to retire my old Coleman Peak One frame. I bent the rods the shoulder straps attach to packing out two boned out quarters. That was only four miles, but with half an elk on my back, that's enough. From the looks of it, I don't think I could hurt the Bull-Pac. Is the frame quiet, no squeeking or rattling?

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: pab1] #13929 03/21/2006 4:42 PM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
I use an old Plastic-framed pack for my main frame pack as well as the day pack. It's very similar to the Dwight Schuch pack they used to sell. I have an aluminum-framed pack in the truck i use for boned (typically) quarters. 1 trip out with the plastic-framed pack then it's onto the aluminum. This frame is constantly outfitted with it's own heavy duty shoulder/waist strap.

The best backpacking accessory ever made has gotta be the sip tube, as with this system hydration is no longer an issue with H2O constantly available. DON'T FORGET IT! We usually have 1 solid meal/day beyond the basic MRE's. I think it's healthier. Bagels/salami/cheese for lunch.

That old plastic frame actually broke at the bottom the first quarter it ever packed out, probably more than 10 yrs. ago. But i took an old coke can, and cut out the ends, rolled it arund the break, and duck-taped it together, and it's held for years. I think it helps as it allows the frame to flex some now. But i don't carry much weight on it most of the time, although my bighorn head/hunting gear went out on the 1st trip with it, and the goat was boned, and the entire animal/gear went out on 1 trip (maybe 4 miles round trip).

I agree with what's been posted above for gear. Don't forget to use a hand's-free headlight of some sort. I like the Eclipse lights myself. They can't weigh much m ore than a couple ounces-- REMEMBER SPARE BATTERIES, AND EVEN A SPARE LIGHT!

We never start fires anymore (unless an emergency arises) , as there's no real need for 1. We're either hunting, eating, or sleeping. Don't need an aluminum emergency shelter. Just use a garbage bag.

2 things i always keep in mind for gear:

1) Shelter

2) COMFORT

Last edited by sscoyote; 03/21/2006 4:46 PM.

Steve
Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: Dan B.] #13930 03/21/2006 7:15 PM
DanS Offline
Obviously, every situation and hunt will be different. The areas I hunt are somewhat close to home, no more than 4 hours drive to the trailheads. So I like to start early and make several trips in to get a feel for the area, movement of animals within the area and to choose a good campsite. On each trip, I add to my cache.

Among the good ideas above, I use a light sleeping bag augmented by a 'space blanket' inside a bivy cover, kind of a layered approach to a sleeping bag. This gives me a lot of versitality - reduces bulk without sacrificing warmth. No tents, only a tarp. I save as much room for water. Meals are cold and quick. Trailmix, power bars, jerky, tuna (all tuna is smelly IMO). Hot meals are with heated water from small backpacking stove. I make killer Ramon Noodles.

My idea of packing out elk is on a horse. Therefore my butchering equipment includes meat bags and 550 cord for hanging in trees. My first trip out is with non-essential gear and the tenderloins and to retrieve the horses. Subsequent trips bring the gear out. Friends are paid in elk meat.

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: DanS] #13931 03/21/2006 10:34 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Sscoyote, I have been using the Fieldline Cascade for my hunting pack. I think it is the same enduroflex frame as the Dwight Schuh pack but the straps are arranged differently so the frame rides higher on your back. I have not tried packing any real weight on this frame, and from your post, I think I'll keep it that way. It is a comfortable pack that holds a lot of gear though. I forgot to mention rope/cord on my list. Also a large plastic trash bag to cover the pack and gear at night or when raining.

As for food I try to take in a minimum of 2800 calories a day. It is a lot of food, but you need it when hiking all day especially at higher altitudes. I pack each days food in a zip lock bag so I am not guessing if I am getting enough calories. I almost have to force myself to sit down and eat sometimes. I start feeling run down if I have done a lot of hiking and did not take in enough calories for a couple of days. This will affect your concentration and the amount of effort you put into the hunt.

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: DanS] #13932 03/22/2006 1:07 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Dan, good calls. Our hunts really do vary now that we sometimes rent horses to carry the base camp. When we take the horses, we take everything, Outfitter tents, axe, shovel, saw, miles of rope, and such. I fully agree with smelly tuna cuz it's not my favorite thing, but it is high in protein and does attract targets of opportunity for the 22lr! I think if everyone tried a Bull-Pac frame, they would pay me royalties! It is by far the nices, most comfortable, most durable, non squeaking, non rattling frame I've used and I've tried LL Bean, Cabela's Alaskan and Freighter and good ol US Army Alice system-NONE come even close to it! We don't ride, we just pack. The frame is still nice to carry a day pack and Gerber mini axe, along with survival gear unless we are going to spike out. Our first chore is kill, gut, skin and hang the quarters in a tree. Take the straps and tenderloins back to camp, whoop it up, rest and grab the ponies in the am! I've done 4 personal elk, and three for friends on my back and the closest was about 3 miles from camp. I love horses that work, but they do add cost and can cost alot more if hurt or lost.

And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #13933 03/22/2006 3:44 AM
slavage Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
a bivy cover

what is a bivy ?? a pick would help
lol

dave

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: Dan B.] #13934 03/22/2006 4:54 AM
DanS Offline
Gentlemen,

I hope you will all agree, the most important part of bivy hunting is humping the tenderloins back to main camp and having steak and eggs. Nothing better. I can't wait for elk season.

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: Dan B.] #13935 03/22/2006 5:12 AM
DanS Offline
PS,

I hate horses, cantankerous things. They just carry a lot. Truth is, there's an outfitter near one of our trailheads that rents horses and a friend has horses he hunts with. So they are easy to come up with.

A buddy wanted me to hunt with him on horseback. Those mtn trails are about 12" wide and vertical on both sides (one up and one down). At zero dark thirty, the horses run up those trails. Not me, I'll stay on my LPC's.

One morning the outfitter had several guys in from Texas trophy hunting wanting nothing short of a 7x7. I left camp about 0430 on foot. About 0600 they rode through a park I was sent up in waiting for daylight. Later that night back at camp, I told them I recognized them from earlier that day and explained the story. They were amazed I beat them up the mountain on foot.

I love hunting on foot being quiet. I can cover more ground, see more things and have more chances than most. Bivy camping (I call spike camping) is just an extension of that idea. Great topic.

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: slavage] #13936 03/22/2006 5:24 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Slavage, bivy is short for bivouac, which is defined as a temporary camp. A bivy sack is a weather proof cover for your sleeping bag.

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: DanS] #13937 03/22/2006 1:10 PM
hntrjohn Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

I hate horses, cantankerous things

Anyone ever use Llamas--Some friends of mine go outside of Gunnison during the muzzleloader season and they always rent Llamas to do the packin'--they can carry a lot of weight and you dont have to worry about bringin in a lot of feed for them

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: hntrjohn] #13938 03/22/2006 5:56 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
No, I've never used them, but I do wear a pair of Tony Llamas every so often! . There is bowhunting club that uses the same area I do and they use them. They like them because they can survive by eating bark and pine! Horses need to eat a lot if you work them.
Yes, happiness is a full pack of backstraps and tenderloins! Now you got the juices flowing....After last nights reading topics, I had to pull up the digital photos of the last 2 years camp! Elk season is very close, but way too far away!

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #13939 03/23/2006 12:44 AM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
Can't wait either. A buddy of mine took a 5 pt. bull about 10 yrs. ago or so now, and we used llamas to haul it out. Very easy animals to work with. The 1st time we hunted that area all 3 of us got archery bulls within a week of each other, and we used horses to haul them out that time. One of the horses was trouble, and we had to leave the paniers of elk meat 1/2 way up the trail, and come back and backpack them out next day. What a mess that was, and it's been the last time.

Steve
Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: sscoyote] #13940 03/23/2006 5:53 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have read about people using pack goats too. They can't carry as much as a horse or a llama but every bit helps. Like llamas, they can go pretty much anywhere you need them to and eat anything. A friend of mine has home video of moose and elk hanging around his llamas. In both instances, they seem curious, like they can't figure out what they are looking at.

Re: Backpack contents for a bivy hunt?? [Re: Dan B.] #13941 04/07/2006 9:56 PM
RobR Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Depends on the place and time of year, but I generally bivy when goat or sheep hunting.
Carry the bivy bag, sleeping bag or down jacket in compression sack in lieu thereof depending on length of trip, MSR stove and fuel, water bottle, coffee. light/dry food, a pan and coffee cup, a small tarp to cook under if raining, about a 3 ft section of blue pad for under my torso (where u lose most heat at night - use pack under feet), pair of dry socks, ziplock bag of survival/first aid stuff (i.e. matches, bandaids, cord, bug dope, etc), knives, game bags, white plastic compactor bags to store meat if raining or if need to put in mountain stream to preserve it in hot weather.
Think the total weight of my pack, a Contender and .45 LC with ammo, food, etc. for a 6 day trip came in at 42 lbs. on one early fall solo hunt. If you share some of the equip, you can go lighter (or use a tent instead of bivy bag).

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 94 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod