Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I possibly did a bad thing #13993 03/27/2006 2:09 AM
cyberhick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
No, I didn't sell my SBH. I was looking at it yesterday and it just had those cute puppy eyes and the quivering lip, so I can't sell it. I did, however, decide to take it apart, completly, and i honed the trigger and hammer. Now, beinging an engineer, i hate designing things that will end up in the hands of someone like me. I realized last night that i probably messed up the timing, so i need a good manuel or instructional book or something that will help me with that. I also decided that now would be a good time to get a free ratcheting pawl. Also, if anyone knows someone that has a Bisely grip frame, grips, and hammer that they would like to swap for SBH grip frame, grips, and hammer, i'd be more than happy to trade. And as far as the porting goes, i really don't like it, but if i have to i will eventually. I'd really love to get a .458 Win Mag Encore one day just because i have a few cool ideas for it and no one around here has one, but this would most definatly require a muzzle break, unless i wanted it to become a permanent part of my anatomy.

cyberhick

Re: I possibly did a bad thing [Re: cyberhick] #13994 03/27/2006 3:23 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
It's not a bad thing. It's human nature, or should should I say a genetic detriment to us men. If a guy can't buy something and take it apart to improve it, it aint worth a hill of beans! Luckily my friend is a gunsmith so he always bails me out! I also know how you feel needing a 458 Win Mag. I felt the same way about a 416 Rigby. I was so enamored with my reading that I just had to get one because no one around here had one. Even now, I am the only one in my circle of friends who will shoot it, and yes it does need a muzzle brake. 107gr of IMR4831sc dictates that. It hurts a little less now though because I switched a classic multi-ported one for a big fish-gill type. It is much more manageable, but you still have to hold on very tight! Dan B is the only other handgunner friend who even wanted to shoot it, and he controlled it quite well. Eveyone of my other friends decline the opportunity. I imagine the 458 Win mag in a shorty Encore is something to behold. Good luck!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: I possibly did a bad thing [Re: cyberhick] #13995 03/27/2006 10:04 PM
JLarsson Offline
How do you mess up the timing on a SBH just by taking it apart and giving it a trigger job?

Jon Larsson - Hunter, Shooter, Reloader.......Mostly in that order. ;\)
Re: I possibly did a bad thing [Re: JLarsson] #13996 03/28/2006 1:46 AM
cyberhick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have to admit that I haven't really studied revolver actions, but to my understanding everything is adjusted position wise at assembly to be timed right. In my mind, by disassembling my SBH, i messed up that adjustment. I hope i'm wrong and I can just put everything back together (its still in pieces) without a problem.

cyberhick

Re: I possibly did a bad thing [Re: cyberhick] #13997 03/28/2006 3:01 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm not sure what parts or what area of the parts you polished, so I can't say for sure if you changed something that was to be left alone. But I can point you in the right direction for some expert help. Jerry Kuhnhausen has a shop manual for the Ruger single action, and a lot of other guns for that matter. I have quite a few and they are extreamly detailed with pictures and all. I feel they would be worth 3 times the price you pay. You being an engineer will appricate the manual all the more. Here is the link to the manual for the Ruger single action on Midway.

Kuhnhausen Manual

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: I possibly did a bad thing [Re: cyberhick] #13998 03/28/2006 5:59 AM
JLarsson Offline
Quote:

I have to admit that I haven't really studied revolver actions, but to my understanding everything is adjusted position wise at assembly to be timed right. In my mind, by disassembling my SBH, i messed up that adjustment. I hope i'm wrong and I can just put everything back together (its still in pieces) without a problem.

cyberhick

I believe I have good news for you. I have had my SBH apart several times and if all you did was smooth up the engagement surfaces of the trigger and sear - put 'er back together and let 'er rip! No timing issues here. In fact, I don't think there's anything adjustable at all about the innards of the SBH.

Also - if the trigger feels too heavy after you get it all back together, unhook one of the legs of the trigger return spring and try that. Might help.

Jon Larsson - Hunter, Shooter, Reloader.......Mostly in that order. ;\)

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod