Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shipping mishap or ??? #14697 05/11/2006 12:53 AM
hntrjohn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I recently shipped a brand new Walnut Stock and Forend to a member of this forum who claims he never received it. This was two months ago. His claim began within a week of me shipping and his first question was, Did I send it with delivery confirmation or tracking number. Why would you ask that question when it hasnt even been a long period of time after shipping. Seems to me someone is trying to get something for nothing. It would be obvious if you had the package in hand that there was no confirmation or tracking on it. Hmmm? I have done deals with several members of this forum and never have gotten a delivery confirmation because I didnt feel I needed it with USPS. Evidently I do.
Now this person wants money for the "used" stock he sent me plus the 20.00 I charged him for the forend plus the shipping he spent. Or the Stock back plus,plus,plus.
And I lose my stock, forend, money etc. Hard lesson learned, wont happen again. Even the post office told me that after this much time it would have eventually returned to the post office at his location, my post office or myself as undeliverable. It is very unlikely the package just disappeared.
Anyway, what would you do in this situation?? I offered to send him his stock back but his 20.00 and shipping would be a loss as I lost substantially more.
Im not posting this members name but, if anyone asks I will tell you, just PM me.

Re: Shipping mishap or ??? [Re: hntrjohn] #14698 05/11/2006 2:32 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
hntrjohn,

I can tell you that the post office loses items on a regular basis. I've been sent some packages that have never shown up but in the last 18 months I've been sent 2 priority mail envelopes, one showed up more than 6 months after it was mailed and the other was slightly over 2 months after it was mailed. Priority mail is supposed to be delivered in about 3 days... When I ship something of value I always use FedEx or make sure there is a tracking # and return receipt on any USPS package. The USPS reliability has really gone down hill in the last 2 years IMHO.

Sorry you're having trouble.

Gary

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Shipping mishap or ??? [Re: Gary] #14699 05/11/2006 7:19 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I can relate to what Gary said. I have a business that ships product all over the country and NOTHING goes out without some kind of confirmation with USPS (signature or delivery) or tracking ID. It keeps honest people honest as well as securing their confidence that they're covered. Back when credit card payment receipts had to be mailed to a bank in NY for deposit, I had a Priority Mail envelope (with delivery confirmation) full of receipts evaporate into thin air, not to be found as yet. This was 3 years ago and it never returned or arrived. In another situation a deposit was not credited although confirmation showed that it did arrive at the destination, the BANK people lost it somewhere. Without confirmation I would have had no recourse, and been SCREWED out of some significant $$$$. That 50 cent green sticker goes on everything anymore.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Shipping mishap or ??? [Re: hntrjohn] #14700 05/11/2006 8:46 PM
TomC Offline
I can tell you first hand that you MUST use delivery confirmation on EVERY package you send through the USPS. I have had at least 3 things disapear over the last 2 years. DO NOT use the USPS unless you absolutely, positively have to.UPS and Fedex are much better choices.

Re: Shipping mishap or ??? [Re: TomC] #14701 05/11/2006 9:41 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I must be the exception, I have sent and recieved hundreds of packages and never had one get totally lost, late yes. Obviously all where not thru the USPS but I have never had a problem with losing one into thin air. I tend to agree that delivery confirmation is getting to be a prerequiset anymore with deasl over the internet. Not everyone is as honest as we all hope. I am not saying that the package did arrive or didn't arrive, just my 2 cents. I think that Johns offer is fair and if I where on the other end I would not expect him to absorb the whole loss.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: Shipping mishap or ??? [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #14702 05/11/2006 10:06 PM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Not to long ago I ordered 200 45-70 collar button from Western Bullet Co. they sent them uninsured and with out a tracking number. I never got them, the mail person said she delivered them but couldn't remember if she put them in or on the mail box or on my deck. I filed all the paperwork and nothing happened,so now I am out $25.00 and no bullets.

There are a lot of people that will take a package off the mail box or off the ground in front of the box even off your deck. If that happens the tracking numbers will show the post office did deliver it but the person still did not get it.

This person may have not gotten the stock, it could have been taken before he got home.

The bottom line is If you ship something uninsured and with no tracking numbers/ singed conformation, and it gets lost stolen, or damaged you will have to take the hit. I never ship anything that I could not replace or take the loss with out insurance and tracking numbers.

When ever I ship something I always charge more then the "price of shipping you see on thye package" This also includes delivery conformation and insurance.

Looks like you learned a lesson the hard way

Re: Shipping mishap or ??? [Re: s4s4u] #14703 05/12/2006 12:19 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Don't want to beat a dead horse, BUT. After leaving last session I recalled a situation a few months ago where a customer hadn't received a shipment and was inquiring when he could expect it. I had confirmation numbers on both packages which showed delivery to the post office in question. Customer hadn't received a yellow card for attempted delivery and P O had no packages???!!!??? Short story, the customer's packages were delivered to a neighbor's house. But I must wonder about the neighborhood as he had to go find it?! The P O had no clue. I love our mail carriers and they do a bang-up job, but they are human and no human is perfect. I could ask who but would rather not. BOTD.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Shipping mishap or ??? [Re: Gary] #14704 05/12/2006 2:16 AM
GrnMntMan Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

hntrjohn,

I can tell you that the post office loses items on a regular basis. I've been sent some packages that have never shown up but in the last 18 months I've been sent 2 priority mail envelopes, one showed up more than 6 months after it was mailed and the other was slightly over 2 months after it was mailed. Priority mail is supposed to be delivered in about 3 days... When I ship something of value I always use FedEx or make sure there is a tracking # and return receipt on any USPS package. The USPS reliability has really gone down hill in the last 2 years IMHO.

Sorry you're having trouble.

Gary

I have had very simular experiences as Gary...
Twice now and one time for a friend and all 3 times were Priority Mail insured..

The PO says to will not even investigate until 30 days has past and then its like pulling teeth I am told.
Luckily in my case the item eventually showed and all was well between me and the sellers...

Good Luck...

Thanks,
Shawn
Re: Shipping mishap or ??? [Re: GrnMntMan] #14705 05/14/2006 12:55 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Yeah, tough lesson learned. I have had a few packages lost by the USPS. I ordered some stuff from Cast Performance. Waited almost a month, actually forgot about it. Called them up, they traced it but came up with nothing. They resent the items with delivery confirmation and insurance and that package came thru OK. I called them about a month after that and they still had no info from the USPS.

I also sent a money order to a fellow HH member first class mail. I recieved my items, but it took the money order 27 days to go to Oregon. I'm sure glad he trusted me that I sent it.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod