Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Some early morning varminting #15315 06/28/2006 10:35 AM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Slept in a little this morning...didn't roll from the sack until about 5:30AM. First thing on the agenda...let the dog loose to take care of business.

Tucker, a Lab/Chow mix, was done with his business and I was getting his AM food ready from the feed bin in the shed (a lock top garbage can). He usually waits outside for me. Today he came ramming in the shed sniffing and bumping around so I knew something was up. I just stood back to see what he was going to come up with. After a few minutes of intense rooting around in a pile of bags (mulch, grass seed and pete moss) he finally pinned down on bag that really interested him...a 50# bag of grass seed. After a bit of rooting by Tucker, I see something furry down in side the bag...I immediately pull him back and get "equipped"...gloves and custom Ruger Mark 2/3 hybrid.

I drag the bag outside and dump it out to find a possum in the defensive position. Since possums tend to...well...play "possum" I let Tucker sniff at it a little bit and when he figured it was not going to play back he was not really interested. I made sure he was clear and then dispatched it with the Ruger.

This would explain why Tucker was carrying on last night...the possum was walking around by his dog house to get in/out of the shed on its way to tear up my garbage!! Looks like I have to set out of the live trap!

Re: Some early morning varminting [Re: Dan B.] #15316 06/28/2006 10:56 AM
JD Offline
stranger
stranger
Are you going to set a trap for the opossum that has a head problem from a Ruger?

Re: Some early morning varminting [Re: JD] #15317 06/28/2006 11:00 AM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Nope...you dope! I'm gonna set it for his momma...this was just a little one and I'm sure there is more. I'm working on making my property a "no critter" zone...been popping rabbits and black birds almost daily. Now if I could just get "mouth" to stop coming around I'd be about done!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod