Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SBH Frame #1413 03/23/2004 9:49 AM
Denny Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to get a different frame for my SBH 7.5" Anyone know of ones for sale and how dificult to install ?

You should not be too open minded your brains might fall out
Re: SBH Frame [Re: Denny] #1414 03/23/2004 1:41 PM
jim257 Offline
addict
addict
midwayusa.com,has frames for the ruger's.i have wanted one of the "birdshead"frame rugers for awhile.(i dont need it but i think they look cool)the frame is around $150.00,they come in stainless or brass,installing it couldnt be very hard.(but i bet i could mess something up! )jim257

get-r-done
Re: SBH Frame [Re: Denny] #1415 03/23/2004 2:05 PM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I assume that you mean that you want a new grip frame? If so, you can purchase new ones at Brownells (www.brownells.com). You have several options available to you. You can replace your dragoon style (square back trigger guard) with any of the following:

1) Hunter style grip frame – same grip as your current SBH, but with a round trigger guard. Not sure if these are readily available as new parts.

2) Bisley style grip frame – IMHO, the best grip frame for handling recoil. This one is a little more involved because you should also replace the hammer and trigger at the same time. Available in stainless or chrome moly steel. You will obviously need new grips for this grip frame. The most expensive option if you buy new parts.

3) Regular BH grip frame – available in either steel, aluminum, stainless, or brass. If you go this route, you will also need new grips. These are often available on the used market.

4) Bird’s Head Grip frame in either steel or brass – maybe a good choice for packing, but I don’t care for the way it feels and I don’t know how it would be with the 44 mag recoil. Also would obviously require new grips.

5) Colt SAA style grip frame – if you happen to prefer the feel of the SAA. Obviously, you would need new grips for this one as well.

Any time you install a new grip frame, some level of fitting will be involved. It may be as simple as doing a little polishing or as involved as doing some file work and then polishing to match the existing finish. In some cases, the rear of the frame will actually be lower than the grip frame. This can be a problem. You have two options, either shape and transition the top of the grip frame to meet the gun frame or weld up the back of the gun frame to allow you to shape it approriately. Either one requires some work. Don’t forget, if your gun is blued that you will have to have the new grip frame blued to match (unless you go with an aluminum BH frame) and you may want to have the entire gun done at the same time.

Another option that you may want to consider is buying a gun that has the grip frame you are interested in, swap the grip frames, and then sell the gun that you don’t want. That may be the cheapest route.

One final thought, what about having your current grip frame modified to a new shape? Gary Reeder (www.reedercustomguns.com) will modify your SBH frame to his “gunfighter” grip for $75 (SS) - $95 (Blue) dollars. The end result is a round butt Bisley style grip. He also modifies your existing grip panels to fit the new frame. This will be cheaper than any option involving a new grip frame, with the possible exception of buying another gun and swapping. All you have to do is mail him your grip frame and he will modify it and return it to you. Guaranteed to fit your SBH perfectly since it was fit at the factory. Other smiths may offer a similar option. You may want to check with folks like Bowen, Jones, Stroh, etc. to see if they can offer you any options.

Good luck.

Last edited by Stush; 03/23/2004 5:56 PM.

Stush

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod