Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Herasy and hope #16001 09/02/2006 4:35 PM
ccdhowell Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Over the course of the past four years I had amased an Encore barrel collection of 1 rifle, 1 Katahdin, and 7 pistol barrels, some of which I haven't even fired.

Well, a few weeks ago I went to shoot and got plain ole mad at myself when I looked at the haphazard collection. I did the only thing I could think of, I sold a few barrels, scopes and reloading equipment. Now I feel less burdoned by overlapping cartridge capability and gun closet clutter.

I'm left with, what I see as a nice, workable range of cartridges and capabilities. So few that I can now master each to a satisfying degree. They are:
26" .303 British heavy contour barrel by SSK
15" 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser by Fox Ridge
12" .44 Mag factory barrel
16" 300 Win Mag factory rifle barrel cut, JP Howitzer brake and painted real nice by Gun Garage.

I also moved some scopes and now have to spend an enjoyable day sighting them in and reaquainting myself with some old favorites. I haven't even shot my beloved Swede since before last deer season.

An on another note. In February of 2005, I sent a 15" 240 Weatherby made by Bullberry, full bull, to High Performance Gunsmithing in Montana. I still haven't received the barrel back. Their workload must have been increadable, that's their story. Anyway, when I called them on Friday, they ssid that it would be finished on Tuesday. I know that they probably won't be done with it, but, hey, it's a glimer of hope anyways. I sure want to have that barrel back, it was a dandy shooter. If they do the work I wanted, it will have a nice six flute barrel and a new blue graphite finish. Hope I get it back.

Thanks for listening. I'm headed off to the range to see if they've mowed it anytime soon. That can be a problem in the summer.

6.5x55 Swede.....and that's all I nede.
Hard-luck huntin' in Louisiana. Chris
Re: Herasy and hope [Re: ccdhowell] #16002 09/02/2006 9:48 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
You sold a barrel!! .........

I have thought about selling a few and concentrating on what was left, but I just can't bring my self to it. As I was rading you post I was wondering about a 22 cal barrel but the last paragraph answered that question. I think you have all the bases covered.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Herasy and hope [Re: ccdhowell] #16003 09/03/2006 3:01 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
chris, if you don't mind me asking...how does the 44 barrel shoot? i've considered getting one for a long time, but from things i've read elsewhere it seems that t/c cuts all their straight-walled-pistol chamberings with a forcing cone type chamber throat instead of a straight true throat. some like bellm claim that this can lead to less than stellar accuracy since the t/c barrel doesn't need a forcing cone and the presence of one can give a sloppy throat area. personally i would think that since the chamber is fixed in alignment with the bore with no b/c gap that it should be alot more accurate than most revolvers (except maybe the freedom arms guns) because of the revolvers multiple "chambers" and the possibility (and probability) of misalignment between them and the bore. what has been your experience? judging from the fact that you kept yours, i'm assuming it must do ok. thanks!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Herasy and hope [Re: bisleyfan44] #16004 09/04/2006 10:46 AM
IKE Offline
Chris I also came to the personal realization that I sort of got caught up in the "more is better" way of thinking when it came to TC barrels so I thinned my pistol length Encore hunting barrels down by three Sat. and Sun. while helping Ed Kirkpatrick of Ed's Contenders run his tables at a local gun show.

The three barrels I sold or traded off were;

1. A new and unfired 15" heavy Fox Ridge barrel in 7mm-08 that I'd had sitting here for almost 2 years and I hadn't even mounted it on a frame yet.....the little light finally came on and I realized that I already had a 15" heavy Fox Ridge barrel in .284 Winchester so why in the heck did I need the 7mm-08.

2. A 15" TC off the rack 45-70 barrel.....this was my "Moose and Mack truck" barrel but I've since picked up a SSK barrel in 35 Whelen and it will certainly fill the same niche.

3. A 15" Fox Ridge bull barrel in 300 Whisper.....I've got a 14" Contender barrel in 300 Whisper as well as a Remington centergrip XP-100 so why I felt I needed the same caliber in a Encore is beyond me.

In pistol length Encore barrels I'm now left with the following four and I feel I've pretty much got all my bases covered....Fox Ridge barrels in 6.5x55 Swede, .284 Winchester and 300 Savage plus the SSK barrel in 35 Whelen.

Ike

Vietnam veteran.
NRA Range Safety Officer.
IHMSA # 48226.
Re: Herasy and hope [Re: bisleyfan44] #16005 09/04/2006 1:38 PM
ccdhowell Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
bisley, I've always been happy with my 44 mag barrel. I've never asked it to shoot great groups, it's worn an Aimpoint red dot sight since it was new and I use it when I stalk deer in brush country. It does shoot quite well, maybe 2" groups at 75 yards, something like that. Funny, I load for 44 mag, but the best shooting stuff I've run through is Remingston 275 gr core-lokt. To bad Rem doesn't offer this bullet for the handloader.

Sounds like several others have had my epiphany too. It's okay boys, just keep shooting sraight-n-true and nobody'll notice how many barrels you have anyways.

6.5x55 Swede.....and that's all I nede.
Hard-luck huntin' in Louisiana. Chris

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod