Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hearing Protection #16161 09/16/2006 7:14 PM
TCScout Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all,

I have one of the original Walker's game ears which I like, but it interferes somewhat with my glasses and it is hard to get a tight fit with the foam plug in cold weather, as the foam appears to lose some of its elasticity.

I was wondering if any of you had ever tried any of the electronic muffs when hunting? Any thoughts or recommendations on their use, or even a particular brand you may have experience with, would be greatly appreciated.

Post Tenabras Lux
Re: Hearing Protection [Re: TCScout] #16162 09/16/2006 11:54 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I haven't used any, yet, but will be getting a Peltor 6S this year 'cause I'm shooting a barrel with a brake for the first time while hunting. I settled on the Peltor from reviews from those who have them (on another forum) in different varieties. FWIW, Rod.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Hearing Protection [Re: s4s4u] #16163 09/17/2006 12:53 AM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I use the Peltor 6S also, they are nice muffs but I could not get used to wearing them all of the time. Now I just wear them up on my head and lower them IF the animal does not sneak in on me. Also a hidden feature is that in extreme cold they do make excellent ear muffs also. Shawn

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: Hearing Protection [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #16164 09/17/2006 2:04 AM
TCScout Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the information guys. I have heard that one of the difficulties is getting used to wearing them for long periods.

I hunt thick woods because that is all I have where I hunt. It would be difficult for me to be able to put the muffs on if I spotted a deer. The movement would likely be detected.

I guess I need to think on it some more.

Post Tenabras Lux
Re: Hearing Protection [Re: TCScout] #16165 09/17/2006 3:20 AM
hntrjohn Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ive been using the Walkers quad muffs for a couple years and they got to be a hinderance while on stand. They can get uncomfortable after a while and like Shawn said, they can be helpfull in cold weather. I recently sold them to a friend who is a quadrapledgic (maybe some of you saw him in the May Field & Stream) and I purchased the original Walker game ear. We will see how it performs this season. Muffs were great on the range tho.

Re: Hearing Protection [Re: TCScout] #16166 09/17/2006 3:26 AM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
If in a ground blind and only able to see what is in front of me or a little to the side, I wear ear plugs with one usually out and put it in when I get ready to shoot. I'm near deaf anyway so if any deer comes from behind me, they have snuck in on me. In tree stands I wear the Caldwell electronic muffs. They are easy on the ears for extended periods and also are good in the cold. I wore the electronic muffs three times last year that I shot deer and they are great. Only about $70 from Midway. They are not as low profile as the Peltor but work just as good I think and I have had them for 5 years and just put a new battery in them a couple of times during the year.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: Hearing Protection [Re: TCScout] #16167 09/18/2006 3:36 PM
Andyhunter Offline
Last year, while driving to Wyoming to go Mule Deer Hunting, I stopped at Cabelas and found some great muffs. They are made by Tactical 6 and I got them for $69! They worked great in Wyoming and I plan on using them this year out of a tree stand. They are very comfortable and I didn't have any issues wearing them for 3 hours staight.

Re: Hearing Protection [Re: Andyhunter] #16168 09/19/2006 8:07 PM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
for the past few years I have been using the pro-ears predator D-2 (the ones with the input jacks) They work very very well for hunting (an the input jacks are nice for my MP-3 player at he range)They are not he best when waring glassies but works OK the cups pushes the arms in my head. I will not go hunting with out them any more.

Re: Hearing Protection [Re: TCScout] #16169 09/21/2006 3:57 PM
SSC Offline
stranger
stranger
I have been using a pair of peltor H4's for about 2-3 years.They have no electronic enhancements but the fit is great. I also wear glasses and they did not seem to push my frames into my head like some of the others I have tried. They are lite so wearing them for long periods of time while on stand is not usually a problem.I still have an issue with moving around trying to get them on when an animal slips up on me but before these I used ear plugs try getting those in without much movement. So the muffs were a lot easier to me I just wear them across the top of my head and slide them down when the time is right.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod