Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Spring Varmint Hunts #1502 04/01/2004 1:50 AM
a17shooter Offline OP
OP Offline
Was out for three days in the alfalfa fields shooting squirrels. Used the Contender with a 12" 17 AH barrel and the XP 100 .223 for the pistol fun. The fields had been shot quite a bit and the litters hadn't been born yet so, the shooting wasn't real fast. Managed to take a couple hundred squirrels over about three days. It was a kick to watch the Bald Eagles and hawks come in for a snack and all the squirrels dive for their holes. The 17 AH is a real kick to use on these guys, 3200 fps with a 20 gr VMax - SPLATT!! There's the red mist at 200 yds. At the end of the day a flock of seagulls would come in and you could tell where all the fresh meat was laying. The first day it was spittin' a little snow and the wind was blowing but, we got some suirrels. The guy from southern Cal was pretty sure that h!!l was cold and not hot after experiencing that 50 degree change in temp with a little mountain wind blowing off the snow covered peaks.

Howz 'bout sharing your spring varmint hunts?

Splatt!! Love that sound!

A17Shooter

Re: Spring Varmint Hunts [Re: a17shooter] #1503 04/01/2004 4:18 AM
Gascheck Offline
The only spring varmint fun I've had is with an old ground hog that lives under my shed. Here in Pennsylvania it's only recently got warm enough to start seeing hogs. I live in a private development where I can't cap off a regular round because of neighborhood complaints and safety issues. So for years I've taken my frustrations out on the woodchucks with my bow and have been very successful. But this year for Christmas I got an air rifle that was rated at 1000 fps. Perfect I thought, silent but deadly. Very accurate to 40 yards. First crack at the chuck hit him right in the forehead. He jumped back a foot and dove for his hole. 15 minutes later he was back feeding! I zipped a second shot which hit his profile in front of his Right ear. He just stood on his hind legs and swatted at the spot with his paw! Third shot I aimed for his eye and hit somewhere just above it and he again took off for his hole only to return 30 minutes later. What was going on! I pulled my chony and clocked the pellets. Only 665fps what a bummer. I guess I'll either have to dust of the bow again or silence by 357 herrett.

Re: Spring Varmint Hunts [Re: Gascheck] #1504 04/03/2004 9:31 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
I've been noticing a few Stripped Gophers along the road sides here and there, but haven't actually made an effort to get out and shoot any yet. Around here about the end of May or the first part of June is Prime Time for the Pasture Flickertails. That is about the time the young of the year are out and about and the shooting opportunities are seemingly endless.

Hopefully the new Stainless Match Grade .22 LR Contender gets here next week so I can get it all tuned up for the first shoot of the year. Most of the farms we shoot Flickettails Gophers on only allow Rimfires. Yes I know, been thinking about one of them there .17 HMR's, just haven't picked one up yet.

SD Handgunner

Re: Spring Varmint Hunts [Re: Larry in SD] #1505 04/04/2004 4:47 AM
a17shooter Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:

Hopefully the new Stainless Match Grade .22 LR Contender gets here next week so I can get it all tuned up for the first shoot of the year. Most of the farms we shoot Flickettails Gophers on only allow Rimfires. Yes I know, been thinking about one of them there .17 HMR's, just haven't picked one up yet.

SD Handgunner

Wish you luck with your new barrel. Nothing like a new barrel to make the opening of the shooting season interesting. Don't wait too long on a 17 HMR barrel! My 10" Bullberry barrel is quite accurate and brings rimfire handguns to a new level for accuracy and range. The longer you wait, the more you'll want to kick yourself when you finally get one.

A17Shooter

Re: Spring Varmint Hunts [Re: a17shooter] #1506 04/10/2004 1:31 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
This is my first chuck of the season. I don't really hunt them to hard untill after the young come out of the burrows. But this one has been driving me nuts the last couple of days. On Tuesday he was out when we were tarping some loads. After work I setup and watched the hole until my hands were cold, he never showed. Then I saw him on Wednesday afternoon when I brought a load into the yard. I went back after I punched out. I waited 30 minutes he never came back out. Thursday I didn't see him. Well today everything went right. He was out when I finished work. I was able to sneak up the bank and get a solid position befor he knew I was there. The 50gr Blitz King droped him in his tracks.

If you look real close at his nose you see two little white dots. They are the points of his bottom teath. They grew past the top teeth and upper jaw and are even with the top of his nose. Close to two inches long. I'm sure he had trouble feeding like that. He looked like a saber tooth woodchuck.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Spring Varmint Hunts [Re: Tigger] #1507 04/10/2004 2:52 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
cool! and congrats! hehe, a sabre tooth whistle pig

Kentucky….no place like home.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod