Next Thread
Print Thread
Raging Hornet #16201 09/22/2006 11:41 PM
Walkingthemup Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
G’day

Here in most parts of Australia, handgun hunting is either banned outright or is heavily restricted. With luck we will eventually get the laws changed. We are mainly restricted to competitions such as Metallic Silhouette which to a degree simulates the skills.

I have been thinking of using a .22 Hornet for Field Pistol. Maybe it’s just me, but I never liked single-shots, so a Contender is out. Has anyone had experience with the Taurus Raging Hornet? If so what sort of accuracy are they capable of and are there any problems with cases backing out to cause hang-ups?

Regards
H

Re: Raging Hornet [Re: Walkingthemup] #16202 09/23/2006 2:37 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've heard a lot more negative than positive, one particular story from a fellow on another forum has negated any thoughts I might have had about any Taurus product.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Raging Hornet [Re: s4s4u] #16203 09/23/2006 6:32 AM
tx44hunter Offline
Quote:

I've heard a lot more negative than positive, one particular story from a fellow on another forum has negated any thoughts I might have had about any Taurus product.

I STRONGLY AGREE!!!!

Last edited by tx44hunter; 09/23/2006 6:33 AM.
Re: Raging Hornet [Re: Walkingthemup] #16204 09/23/2006 12:01 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
you might see what is available in a custom built revolver from one of the custom builders here in America, it might cost you a little more up front but in the end you'll probably be happier. just my opinion by the way is there any place left in your country where an American can bring his handgun in to hunt the water buffalo?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Raging Hornet [Re: Walkingthemup] #16205 09/23/2006 1:20 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
you may want to reconsider the contender. they have a great trigger which will help you shoot better. and they are usually quite accurate although i've never shot one in 22 hornet.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Raging Hornet [Re: Walkingthemup] #16206 09/23/2006 3:15 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Welcome to the forum H!
I'd love to get into sillywet myself, but there is no place local to me that shoots it.
As far as the Taurus handguns go, it seems some guys swear by them, & some swear at them. As far as quality goes it also seems that there are REALLY good ones, & REALLY bad ones with most in between. Just my opinion, but I woulkd say if you can handle it before the purchase to see the overall quality, & the gunshop will stand behind the quality for the first week or so, go put a few hundered rounds thru one & see what you think! Maybe you'll get one of the great ones. If the TC is out, how about a repeating bolt gun. Did they make the Savage Stryker in that caliber? You could have one of their other .22 cals rechambered. Of course that wouldn't be production class if you care.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Raging Hornet [Re: Vance in AK.] #16207 09/23/2006 11:36 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have a taurus 218 Bee in a 12" silhouette model.

I'm going to be very nice about my responce, after the gun went back twice and then the new one went back again and months of waiting..... The final responce from taurus was; too bad it's what it is and we are not going to try and keep the customer happy. So I have a gun I don't want, don't really feel is safe to shoot, and makes the brass tought to reload.

I know I will never own another taurus.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Raging Hornet [Re: wapitirod] #16208 09/24/2006 12:23 AM
Walkingthemup Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks Wapitirod. A custom gun would be the way to go; only IHMSA rules don’t allow either non-production guns or bolt action guns for the Field Pistol match (bugger!). As for coming over to hunt water buffalo, I think its no go. The water buffalo are found up the Top End (Northern Territory). Prior to John Howard becoming Prime Minister it was allowable to go handgun hunting up there. Being extremely anti-gun Howard forced the all the States & Territories to ban recreational handguns for anything other than a small range of “approved” target matches. This hasn’t impressed the NT government which has seen a major fall in tourism related to hunting. Some of the outfitters still carry handguns, but this is for their Occupational Health & Safety obligations re croc attacks etc. I’ll email a few of the outfitters to check that I’ve got it right but I doubt that there’s much hope in the short term.

Re: Raging Hornet [Re: Tigger] #16209 09/24/2006 6:05 AM
tx44hunter Offline
Quote:

I have a taurus 218 Bee in a 12" silhouette model.

I'm going to be very nice about my responce, after the gun went back twice and then the new one went back again and months of waiting..... The final responce from taurus was; too bad it's what it is and we are not going to try and keep the customer happy. So I have a gun I don't want, don't really feel is safe to shoot, and makes the brass tought to reload.

I know I will never own another taurus.

Same for ME. EXACTLY

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod