Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Switching frames for Contender #16336 10/03/2006 5:00 AM
shooter_44 Offline OP
OP Offline
This last weekend I was antelope hunting and grabbed one of my contenders in 30-30. I was using handloads with a powder charge of 34 grains of H 4895 and a topped off with a 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded to 2.72 inches OAL. I had my barrell in a frame I had not shot with it before and when extracting the spent cases noticed that the primers had flowed into the firing pin hole somewhat indicating excess pressure. Only noticed it because the action was harder to break open than normal. Has anyone one else experienced this when switching frames. The load has proven totally reliable with no signs of excess pressure when fired in the same barrell on my other frame.

On another note the antelope is now at the processor being turned into backstraps and bratwurst.

Switching frames for Contender [Re: shooter_44] #16337 10/03/2006 2:59 PM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
Hi Shooter,
Congrat's on the antelope. I'll be heading to Gillette in 3 weeks for the 20th Handgun Hunters International shoot there. I can get 5 tags. Last year my son and I took 10 antelope in 4 days.

Anyway back to your issue. I find a big difference when switching barrels and frames. I shoot IHMSA and I have three Contender frames. I always match the barrels to specific frames. If I move barrels randomly between frames I get a change of POI as much as 2" and pressure indicators like cratered primers in one barrel and frame, and not with that same barrel when hooked into another frame.

I think that when we are working at the top of the pressure limits for a particular caliber even little changes can cause problems. Thats why everyone always says to drop 10% when starting with new loads, bullets or in your case...frames and barrels.

Bill in OR

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod