Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My new best friend...ALCOHOL!! #16606 10/22/2006 4:25 AM
Dan B. Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I hate cleaning cases. But unfortunately it's part of the process for reloaders!

I used to be a tumbler user but mine needs new media and I just keep forgetting. For a while I would take and clean each case by hand...later I thought I was smart and utilized the cordless drill and shellholder. I'd spin the cases on high speed and clean them with a rag one at a time but at least this allowed me to chamfer the mouths at the same time (at a slower speed of course)...but the process was slow.

So while performing the dreaded chore tonight on a batch of 7-08 and 7mm-270WSM cases I had a moment of enlightenment!! An epiphany!! I use the Dillon Case Lube which consists of Lanolin suspended in Isopropyl Alcohol (IA). Earlier in the evening I had just used some IA the wipe down a stock before painting. So why could I not use the IA to soak the cases then wipe them off?? Hhmmmm!!

I took a small container about 2" deep and 4" square...laid a batch of cases in the bottom and poured the IA into the container to just cover the brass. Then I began cleaning them by hand using a clean rag. I literally did a batch of 100 cases in less than 15 minutes! The IA thins the Lanolin and makes it super easy to wipe off...I was careful to fold the rag frequently to keep using a clean area so as not to reapply any lanolin from the rag back onto the cases.

This was faster than using the drill and much faster than a tumbler...heck it took me 10 minutes just to dump the media from the cases and clean the flashholes.

After the wipe down I set the cases (mouth down) in a loading block and took my air gun and blew out what little IA was left in the primer pocket. It would have surely evaporated over night but I did it anyhow. They are ready to go now but I'll leave them over night and load them tomorrow.

So..from now on...I'll always have a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol on my reloaing bench!!

Re: My new best friend...ALCOHOL!! [Re: Dan B.] #16607 10/22/2006 4:40 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
yep....i been using alcohol from day one. similar to, but different than your method. i clean the lube of each n every case with rag dampened with alcohol after sizing.
i only tumble when the brass gets discolored after a loading or two, and then i tumble before sizing with primers still in to not have to worry bout media in the flash holes.
alcohol is pretty handy, evaporates fairly fast, n is purrty cheap too.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: My new best friend...ALCOHOL!! [Re: KYODE] #16608 10/22/2006 9:21 AM
jb HHI 7241 Offline
Quote:

yep....i been using alcohol from day one.
alcohol is pretty handy, evaporates fairly fast, n is purrty cheap too.

'specially when the "still" is right out back, huh kyly??!!!

Jeff

Re: My new best friend...ALCOHOL!! [Re: Dan B.] #16609 10/22/2006 3:15 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

Quote:

Quantity: 1 Gallon
Container: Plastic Bottle

Notes:

Effectively removes powder fouling residue, oxidation, tarnish, discoloration, dirt, and grime.

Restores brass casings to a bright finish in seconds.

Cleans the inside of the casings and the primer pocket.

Immerse the casings in the solution from 20 seconds up to five minutes, rinse, and dry.

A quart of cleaner cleans approximately two thousand cases depending upon the degree of tarnish and residue.

I have often wondered how the IOSSO products work. I'll bet that it's based off of IA. A little more expensive than IA but it might work better. Anybody tried it??

When I clean up cases that are really tarnished for my cartridge collection I use steel wool, then clean with a rag and IA.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod