Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Sec. of Defense #16937 11/09/2006 4:43 PM
Bama Offline OP
OP Offline
I won't get into politics, we all have our own views, but I think this is pretty cool.

I am an Eagle Scout and an Assistant Scoutmaster.

Robert Gates is the National Chairman of the National Eagle Scout Association, and a member of the National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America. He is a Distinguished Eagle Scout and holder of the Silver Buffalo Award.

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005
Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: Bama] #16938 11/09/2006 9:04 PM
grimel Offline
Not to be a butt, but, that qualifies him for SoD how?

We didn't need a new SoD; we need a SoD, POTUS, SoS, and VP that will start POUNDING the reality of what is happening in Iraq at every point while calling out the press for NOT reporting anything other than the limited amounts of bad news.

Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: grimel] #16939 11/10/2006 5:35 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
well said grimel, I think it's cool that the new secretary of defense is involved with boy scouts since it is one of the few organizations kids have that still teach virtues but as far as fighting wars go, until we stop trying to be everyones friend and fight like we mean it we are in trouble. I think it was the Great Robert E. Lee that once said that it is good that war is so terrible or we should grow to like it. War is terrible and that is what defeats the enemy, not trying to fight a surgical campaign where are soldiers are afraid to shoot because they may be brought up on charges. I firmly believe in the Reagan way, Peace through superior firepower. (of course being a submarine vet I sure am fond of nukes, I think Iraq would look nice as a glass parking lot for our oil tankers.)

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: wapitirod] #16940 11/10/2006 11:07 AM
grimel Offline
Quote:

I firmly believe in the Reagan way, Peace through superior firepower. (of course being a submarine vet I sure am fond of nukes, I think Iraq would look nice as a glass parking lot for our oil tankers.)

I was superior firepower (SSBN).

Your thinking on Iraq would have punished the great majority of Iraqi's that didn't and don't support Saddam. The only significant change really needed would be to remove any chance of Court Martial unless a credible (non-news org/terrorist group) source with more than he said/she said "proof".

For as bad as the news media keeps saying Iraq is, the troops are re-enlisting at or near all time highs, volunteering for 2nd and 3rd tours, etc

Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: grimel] #16941 11/10/2006 1:58 PM
Bama Offline OP
OP Offline
I was just pointing out something that was different about someone. I have a cousin (second tour), 2 nephews, and 2 close friends all in Iraq today. The media only points out the negative.

You asked how being an Eagle Scout and active in Scouting qualifies him to do the job. The values set in Scouting are building blocks, say a foundation. Interpret it how you may, but here is the Scout Law.

A Scout is:

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpfull
Friendly
Courtious
Kind
Obedient
Cheerfull
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
and Reverent

As an Eagle Scout I'm sure he knows those words well. Yes those same ideas are taught through family, military training, business, and your careere. Guess you could say since I'm an Eagle Scout and been active in Scouting for 35 years, my views are tainted. I just thought it was interesting that part of his background was in Scouting.

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005
Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: Bama] #16942 11/10/2006 2:39 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hey. to some extent I agree with all three of you!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: wapitirod] #16943 11/10/2006 10:30 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
i agree with you wapitirod. the last war that we really won and there is still lasting peace from was WWII. that's when the allies bombed the "snot" out of berlin from the air...civilians and all. and then annihilated japan with 2 nukes....civilians and all. that was what was required to break the will of the enemy and have them surrender. these new "precision strikes" may be politically correct, but they won't win the war. unlike past wars where the enemy rank and file actually wanted to live and go home to their families, this enemy revels at the thought of killing themselves for their cause and consider themselves successful when they commit suicide. only the japanese had this mindset of not valuing their own lives and look what it took to fix the problem. unfortunately, i think the only way to pull this out is with ALL the military physical might of this great nation. i don't think we have the stomach for it, though.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: bisleyfan44] #16944 11/11/2006 4:03 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Bisley, I'm afraid your right, and the sad thing is that when this is all over the so called innocents are going to hate us anyhow. I lost an uncle in Vietnam and although I was young I still feel unsettled because we didn't finish what we started.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: wapitirod] #16945 11/11/2006 4:25 AM
grimel Offline
Quote:

the sad thing is that when this is all over the so called innocents are going to hate us anyhow.

This opinion is based on what?

Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: grimel] #16946 11/11/2006 3:07 PM
hntrjohn Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The problem we have in this country today is that we are afraid we will hurt someones "FEELINGS" Not only in the wars we are fighting but in the "SYSTEM" also. There are way to many "JANE FONDAS" whining about the war and our Military. I served proudly from the mid 70's thru the early 80's and back then if you were in uniform in public you were called a "BABY KILLER" Didnt hurt my feelings any cause I know I never killed any Babies. Those GI's over in the Sandbox need all the support they can get from the American people. They Enlisted to fight for the Freedom and safety of all Americans and in my opinion after 9/11 I think all Americans should want to fight and stand up for this wonderful country and tell these bloodthirsty bastards that this is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and you will NOT randomly KILL innocent civilians ever again. OK, Im done for now. Just needed a to vent a bit.

Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: grimel] #16947 11/12/2006 12:01 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
grimel, maybe you forgot Bin Laden was armed and trained by us, he was our best buddy when we were helping him against the russians, the fact is to all true muslims we are infidels and we will always be.

Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: wapitirod] #16948 11/12/2006 2:16 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Rod, and Bisely, we'll see what kind of 'Kahunas' the American people have when the Dems like Pelosi and Feinstein and Shumer remind everyone that the new law states that guns are now 'outlawed! I think everyone has been clouded by the negative press. The NRA has how many members? The next presidential term will be the defining moment in the downfall of true democracy; Granted Bush was far from the brightest and best, maybe he was the worst, but the Dem agenda as voiced by Nancy Pelosi scares the hell out of me as a free American that belives in persoanl freedoms and capitalism! I think if the US had totally destroyed either Afganistan or Iraq, Iran, Syria, Lebannon, and North Korea would have stood in line with Libya and Mr. Qadafy and cooperated. I vote smoke em, and let them rethink the Koran. It's amazing what the fear of God can do calm them down.

Last edited by Bullelk Hunter; 11/12/2006 2:18 AM.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #16949 11/12/2006 2:47 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
Amen, brother!!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: New Sec. of Defense [Re: bisleyfan44] #16950 11/12/2006 3:55 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I second the Amen!!!!!!!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod