Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trespassers!! #17304 11/27/2006 11:14 PM
hntrjohn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok--Im sitting on my favorite little hill overlooking a small waterhole and pines which meet up with hardwoods. The deer love to funnel back and forth thru here. Im nice and comfy on my stool, wind is right and coffee is still hot. My Walkers game ear detects a "snap" off to my left. I turn slowly and poise the Grizzly 45 win mag on my stoneypoint tripod. There she is, a nice medium size doe slowly walking towards me thru the hardwoods. Im thinking, Ok, shes about 110yds and Im good to 75yrds with my opensighted Grizzly. A chest shot with these partion golds should dispatch her quickly if she dosent give me a broadside shot. Suddenly, "POW" she drops in her tracks. But I didnt pull the trigger yet. There he was, coming out of the pines gun in hand. Trespasser!! The landowner told me if I see anyone on the property to please get a backtag # and tell them to leave the property. So, I wait till he puts down his gun to admire his "Trophy" and decide to go confront him. Uh-oh--here comes his buddy out of the pines. Two armed trespassers. So I stay put, get out my bino's and try to get tag numbers. Neither one is wearing a back tag. So, is a doe worth confronting two armed idiots. Not in my world. So I sit quietly and motionless and wait till they leave. The rest of the afternoon hunt was pretty much spoiled now. So, I have another cup of coffee, say a few choice words under my breath and pack it in till tomorrow. And it was such a nice day.

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: hntrjohn] #17305 11/28/2006 12:00 AM
rodman Offline
were they in range
that sucks sorry to hear this
tommrow you might see the buck
good luck

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: hntrjohn] #17306 11/28/2006 3:21 AM
grimel Offline
I now carry a cell phone on vibrate for just such occasions as poachers. That is what you call someone without a backtag in a state that required one, right?

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: hntrjohn] #17307 11/29/2006 6:12 PM
katcher Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've had that happen on my family's farm, too. And the thing about it is they get really pissed when you confront them. I think you did the right thing by not confronting two armed people, though. Sometimes it's just not a good idea. I'd be sure to notify the local DNR and maybe even the County Sheriff. Also, look out for cars parked in the area. I have a buddy that's a State Trooper and I've given him the license number and dealt with it that way. Good luck and be safe!

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: hntrjohn] #17308 11/30/2006 3:32 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Quote:

Ok--Im sitting on my favorite little hill overlooking a small waterhole and pines which meet up with hardwoods. The deer love to funnel back and forth thru here. Im nice and comfy on my stool, wind is right and coffee is still hot. My Walkers game ear detects a "snap" off to my left. I turn slowly and poise the Grizzly 45 win mag on my stoneypoint tripod. There she is, a nice medium size doe slowly walking towards me thru the hardwoods. Im thinking, Ok, shes about 110yds and Im good to 75yrds with my opensighted Grizzly. A chest shot with these partion golds should dispatch her quickly if she dosent give me a broadside shot. Suddenly, "POW" she drops in her tracks. But I didnt pull the trigger yet. There he was, coming out of the pines gun in hand. Trespasser!! The landowner told me if I see anyone on the property to please get a backtag # and tell them to leave the property. So, I wait till he puts down his gun to admire his "Trophy" and decide to go confront him. Uh-oh--here comes his buddy out of the pines. Two armed trespassers. So I stay put, get out my bino's and try to get tag numbers. Neither one is wearing a back tag. So, is a doe worth confronting two armed idiots. Not in my world. So I sit quietly and motionless and wait till they leave. The rest of the afternoon hunt was pretty much spoiled now. So, I have another cup of coffee, say a few choice words under my breath and pack it in till tomorrow. And it was such a nice day.

Unfortunately this is happening more and more now days. Yes you did the right thing buy not confronting them. Too bad you didn't have a cell phone with you so you could have called the authorities.

I am not sure if it would have been possible in your situation or not, but it might have been wise to follow them (unseen of course) out to their vehicle and gottten a vehicle description and or license number so you could have called the authorities at a later time.

I guess unless you are actually put in that situation you really don't know how you would handle it personally.

Good luck the next time out.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Trespassers!! [Re: hntrjohn] #17309 11/30/2006 10:32 PM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
how close where you to the boundary lines?

these hunters may ( or may not) have been nice guys and just over steeped the boundary lines by mistake. they may have had the back tags but you may have missed them or it was on a coat or back pack a few yards behind them.

In MD we no longer have to have back tags but I keep my license on my back pack so i always have it when we had to have them the law was that it had to be on an outer gamut I would hook it to my pants belt loop This meet the requirements but was not always easy to be seen.

On the farm I hunt we don't have much problems with people hunting during the day, We have them at night when I can not catch them.

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: RickyP] #17310 12/01/2006 2:08 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist

On the farm I hunt we don't have much problems with people hunting during the day, We have them at night when I can not catch them.

have you thought about booby traps

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: wapitirod] #17311 12/01/2006 2:27 AM
grimel Offline
Quote:

have you thought about booby traps

Only slightly illegal.

A couple of drop off random "camping" trips could yield some nice results.

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: grimel] #17312 12/01/2006 5:45 AM
JLarsson Offline
How about just signs (no actual booby traps, however aptly named) that say, "WARNING! THESE PREMISES HEAVILY BOOBY TRAPPED!" Then, underneath in smaller type, "Sure, I'll be in trouble - but you'll be dead."

Might at least get 'em to think twice.

Jon Larsson - Hunter, Shooter, Reloader.......Mostly in that order. ;\)
Re: Trespassers!! [Re: hntrjohn] #17313 12/02/2006 1:11 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
Oh yeah, that really sucks, but you absolutely did the right thing. Where are you located- zactly- I live just minutes from the Rattlesnake, there is lots of teritory there and not mich pressure... I wouldn't advertise that fact. I too have had similar situation, cept it had horns. the jerk(urban jerk) that owns the adjoinning property, maybe 40 acres, has set up five stands on the perimeter of his property that face out rather than in and he brings enough friends with him to populate all of the stands.... so they are effectively hunting the property we are supposed to have exclusive rights to..if they shot something we can have them arrested, but I'm hunting deer not jerks, and besides as you pointed out, they are also armed ... so ... i go somewhere else.... but it is a marvelous display of poor ethics.. The rattlesnake is spacious, and there are several other management areas in Allegheny county that have good populations of deer.... the rattlesnake WMA has a pretty good population of black bears too. guess its time to expand our horizons.

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: HoggHunter] #17314 12/02/2006 1:54 AM
grimel Offline
Quote:

has set up five stands on the perimeter of his property that face out rather than in and he brings enough friends with him to populate all of the stands.... so they are effectively hunting the property we are supposed to have exclusive rights to..if they shot something we can have them arrested, but I'm hunting deer not jerks,

You could always spend the morning walking up and down the property line in orange coveralls. Or you could walk in along the property line without cover scent trailing week old socks. Or a trail cam with flashbulbs vs film.

Not that I'd ever do such things.

On a junior hunt my dad was sleeping at the foot of the tree (midnights) while I was up the tree (wearing ORANGE coveralls, hat, and gloves) on the farm where I worked summers. Two bozos walked up from the road to set out a salt block. This was fall - no leaves - until I spoke they had no idea I was there. They THOUGHT they could intimidate a young teen.

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: hntrjohn] #17315 12/02/2006 8:42 AM
LDHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
In the state of Florida it's a felony to trespass with a firearm. I carry a camera to record the illegal acts of trespassers and call law enforcement every time I witness it.

I grew up on a midwestern family farm where poachers were a problem and confronted them several times with a rifle in my hands and a promise to call the county sheriff which I/we always did.

They finally got the picture.

$bob$

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: HoggHunter] #17316 12/02/2006 7:11 PM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
HoggHunter,
What you can do is this. Go to a few towns over and invite about 4 or 5 of the police officers to an opening morning hunt, Tell the officers what is up with them setting up on the edge of your land and they are hunting it. Have the officers set up about 20 yards in front of each stand facing your land but quirting away so they can see what the yahoos are doing. Just imagine the look on the yahoo's face when they get in there stands and see someone sitting in front of them and then find out the person is a police officer.

Re: Trespassers!! [Re: RickyP] #17317 01/25/2007 6:00 PM
PCMAN Offline
I GOT A GAMNE CAMERA FOR CHRISTMAS, LAST WEEK I TOOK A LOOK AT THE PICS AND FOUND A GUY HUNTING ON MY CAMERA. NEVER SEEN THE GUY. SEEMS LIKE PEOPLE DONT CARE ANYMORE THEY DO WHAT THEY WANT UNTIL THEY GET CAUGHT

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 32 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod