Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G2 or Encore????? #17462 12/06/2006 11:51 PM
Bigjohn Offline OP
OP Offline
Looking at the 2 what are the differences???? other than the g2 will accept older contender barrels.

Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: Bigjohn] #17463 12/07/2006 1:12 AM
JLarsson Offline
As you noted, the G2 is designed for the barrels available for the original Contender frame. This means it is limited to lower pressure/smaller case cartridges, in general. It is possible to chamber something for the Contender/G2 - .358 JDJ comes to mind - that requires you to be VERY careful in working up loads or you will stretch/crack the frame.

The Encore was designed to handle everything up to and including the "regular" belted magnum cartridges. I have a 7-Mag barrel and a .270 barrel for mine. Some guys shoot .375 H&H out of theirs (ouch!).

Anyway, if you held both frames in your hand, you'd see the difference right away. The Encore is "beefier" and handles a barrel of larger diameter. I believe the barrel lug is more substantial as well.

As always - someone please correct me on anything that needs it.

Jon Larsson - Hunter, Shooter, Reloader.......Mostly in that order. ;\)
Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: JLarsson] #17464 12/07/2006 2:04 AM
grimel Offline
Quote:

Okay, the Encore is a boat anchor suitable for rifles. The Contender/G2 is elegant and capable of taking anything walking the planet.

Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: grimel] #17465 12/07/2006 2:53 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Quote:

Quote:

Okay, the Encore is a boat anchor suitable for rifles. The Contender/G2 is elegant and capable of taking anything walking the planet.

The Contender IS ellegant, the G-2 ????

Agree entirely on the Encore reference!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: grimel] #17466 12/07/2006 5:10 AM
JLarsson Offline
Quote:

Quote:

Okay - technically, that's not a correction so much as an addition.

But aesthetics aside, the fact remains that for certain chamberings, the G2/Contender must give way to the Encore. Whether one wishes to employ those chamberings, thereby saddling oneself with said "boat anchor", is a matter of personal choice and preference.

Personally, I prefer the trigger of the original Contender and wish T/C had retained that design for the G2/Encore. They DID shorten the lock time, though, and the Encore/G2 trigger CAN be made VERY nice. It's just a bit more work. Tricky to reassemble, also.

I've also never had an Encore as a handgun, but that's about to change. Blued frame should be in tomorrow, and a 15" .270 barrel as well (although from a different source). Should be fun. Now I just need a boat.

Jon Larsson - Hunter, Shooter, Reloader.......Mostly in that order. ;\)
Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: JLarsson] #17467 12/08/2006 1:17 AM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
What do you intend on doing with the frame?

I have an older contender frame and a nower encore frame. I like the encore much better for hunting. it can handle much higher pressure rounds. If you do not handload the encore is better for you because you can get a lot of good hunting rounds off the shelf, for the contender for good hunting rouonds you really should handload for them to get the max out of it.
The biggest advantage the contender has ove rhte Encore is that you can get factory rimfire barrels for the contender, If you want a rimfire for the encore you ahve to go custom

Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: RickyP] #17468 12/08/2006 2:12 AM
grimel Offline
Quote:

If you do not handload the encore is better for you because you can get a lot of good hunting rounds off the shelf, for the contender for good hunting rouonds you really should handload for them to get the max out of it.

To get the most of either one should handload. I'm still not sure what the big deal is about maxing them out. FWIW, 30-30 Leverloution Hornady, Federal 125gr JHP 30-30, Hornady 375JDJ, Hornady Leverloution 45/70 & 444, and about any 44mag ammo ain't bad stuff for the non-reloader.

Quote:

The biggest advantage the contender has ove rhte Encore is that you can get factory rimfire barrels for the contender, If you want a rimfire for the encore you ahve to go custom

The biggest advantage for the Contender over the Encore is the Contender is elegent, purposeful, and generally better balanced.

As for the Encore, it's still bigger, bulkier, heavier, and generally an ugly hunk of steel. The G2 is still ugly, but, at least it's smaller.

easy, easy

Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: grimel] #17469 12/08/2006 2:51 AM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
"To get the most of either one should handload. I'm still not sure what the big deal is about maxing them out. FWIW, 30-30 Leverloution Hornady, Federal 125gr JHP 30-30, Hornady 375JDJ, Hornady Leverloution 45/70 & 444, and about any 44mag ammo ain't bad stuff for the non-reloader.

The hornady Leverloution and factory 375 jdj are somewhat new on the market and loading is very limited, The 30-30 can be much improved by loading Boatail spritzers (only safe for single shots)and that is just about what hornady did with the new bullets, The 45-70 in factory rounds are ok but expensive and limited in loads and the factory rounds for the 444 marlin is pushing the limits of the contender frame

Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: RickyP] #17470 12/08/2006 4:28 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Well guys I have been hunting this fall with a 15" .243 Encore Handgun. Yep I too have to agree that it just does not feel like a Contender, but then I am quite sure it was never designed to feel like a Contender. Rather the Encore was designed to digest higher pressure cartridges and be competitve with the Bolt Acion Handguns at least in terms of cartridge suitability. Yes I know that now the Bolt Action Handguns can be and are being chambered for Cartridges that the Encore can not handle, ie the shot mags.

I shall find out about the G2 Contender in a week or so as I had my dealer order me one today. Eventually this G2 will have 3 barrels, an OTT Super 14 .22 LR Match Barrel (this is a chrome moly steel barrel that is Metaloy Hard Chrome Plated to match the Stainless Frame I hope) (picked it up tonight), a Stainless-Steel Super 14 .223 Remington Barrel (order with the frame) and eventually a Super 14 Stainless-Steel .30-30 Ackley Improved Barrel.

Hopefully I will like the handling qualities of the G2 as much as the original Contender.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: RickyP] #17471 12/08/2006 4:43 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
It's all in what you want to do with the gun and what fits you. Might be a good idea (if you have friends that have both)to shoot both in like or close to the same caliber and go from there. As mentioned before the G-2 has limitations with pressure that the Encore does not.

I have two Encore frames. No G-2, yet. Maybe in the future, but I don't really see a need for one. I have Encore barrels from 218 Bee up to 50 cal. I don't find the Encore to big or heavy. If I did want a rimfire barrel, I'll just get an offset barrel from OTT. That way I don't have to change anything to shoot it.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: RickyP] #17472 12/08/2006 11:01 AM
grimel Offline
Quote:

The 30-30 can be much improved by loading Boatail spritzers (only safe for single shots)

and box magazine guns such as the Savage 340.

Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: grimel] #17473 12/08/2006 12:32 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Quote:

Quote:

The 30-30 can be much improved by loading Boatail spritzers (only safe for single shots)

and box magazine guns such as the Savage 340.

Funny you mention the 340. I hunted w/ a guy that was toting one of those just yesterday. All I could see was it rechambered to 30-30AI and stuffed w/ about any 125-130gr Spitzer style pill!!

Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: Dan B.] #17474 12/09/2006 1:22 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
I will always prefer the Contender over the G-2, just feels better to me. However, if I was going to limit myself to just 1 T/C frame it would be an Encore. With rimfire adaptors you can order a custom 22LR barrel, but you can also get some excellent barrels, ie 308, 260, 243 or just about anything. Sure the Encore isn't pretty but it is a hard working gun that would suit me fine. Glad I don't have just one T/C frame though.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: Bigjohn] #17475 12/10/2006 1:00 AM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
i probably did it different than most....i started with an encore pistol and loved it (still do) and didn't know any different. then one day i held and original contender in a gun shop.....man it felt great. no money though i will have one soon. get both!!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: G2 or Encore????? [Re: bisleyfan44] #17476 12/10/2006 5:34 AM
grimel Offline
The shop where I have my gunBROKER purchases shipped wanted to see my G2 rifle frame complete with barrel. So, I took the rifle and Contender pistol over after mounting the rifle barrel.

They tried the G2 trigger with the resulting - man! I responded with a yeah it sucks. Too which they responded who told you that. Then I brought out the Contender. After that they understood. They still want a G2 for playing around.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod