Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Got some range time w/my new (to me)6.5JDJ.... #18507 01/27/2007 8:01 PM
Hawkeye Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Loaded everything and took off to the range. Arrived and dangit, the long range was being used for a Military bolt rifle match. Moved over to the short range, 80 yds.
Just did a trade for this 6.5JDJ , 14" barrel. It started life as a 6.5TCU Contender barrel. It was sent to SSK and rechambered and a good scope base and rings installed.
I did some research on here and my reloading books and decided on a fireform load with the new Winchester 225 cases, H414 and Sierra 120grn ProHunters. Man, what a surprize. After four of five rounds to set the scope every round I shot, every group was under an inch at 50yds. Sure hope the formed loads shoot that good or better. I've got some loads I researched and some Nosler, Sierra and Berger bullets to wring out a good long distance hunting load for this fall.
Here are a couple of photos of the rig with custom wood, Simmon 2.5x8 scope and one of the targets. I thought I might get bored just shooting at paper to fireform the brass but I was out of ammo before I realized I had shot 50 rounds. The target has one inch squares.

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: Got some range time w/my new (to me)6.5JDJ.... [Re: Hawkeye] #18508 01/27/2007 8:16 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Quote:

I thought I might get bored just shooting at paper to fireform the brass

i've never had that thought after i once got to shootin. i've fireformed hundreds n hundreds of rounds in 6tcu, 30-30AI, and 35rem rimmed. it is always pure joy to shoot up 50 rounds quickly, and make a few range trips out of the deal. a lot of times i like to take along a 22 er sumthin to double the fun.
also very fun to find a long range rock and use those loads to plink away and practice offhand shooting.

nice outfit there.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Got some range time w/my new (to me)6.5JDJ.... [Re: Hawkeye] #18509 01/27/2007 10:49 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
Great shooting with FF loads. Those SSK rechambers always seem to work out great.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod