Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New member from downunder #18733 02/11/2007 10:53 AM
geo01 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Just a quick message to say hi and introduce myself. I own 2 .357mags (1 S&W Mod66 and a Ruger Blackhawk) & 1 TC 14 inch in .357 Herrett. I live in Queensland (the Sunshine State) and work in an open cut coal mine. I try to get out into the bush (woods) as much as I can and have hunted with a bow as well as rifles. Have done a little hunting with handguns but am now trying to plan a trip with the .357 Herrett as soon as the wet season is done. Hopefully I will be able to submit some photos if all goes well. The main animals that I have hunted are feral hogs and goats but have also had the chance to take water buffalo, scrub bulls, Red, Rusa and Axis deer, although they were all taken with a rifle.

Re: New member from downunder [Re: geo01] #18734 02/11/2007 12:48 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Welcome to the forum!! Australia sounds like a cool place to hunt.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: New member from downunder [Re: geo01] #18735 02/11/2007 1:36 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
G'day! Welcome aboard . I hope one day to make a hunt down that way, but hasn't fit into my butget just yet . Don't be shy. Good shootin'!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: New member from downunder [Re: geo01] #18736 02/11/2007 2:08 PM
Encore307 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Welcome aboard mate , if any of us could ever make it to Aussy land you could thro some shrimps on the barby and some of the wild hog and have a good old time

Re: New member from downunder [Re: geo01] #18737 02/11/2007 6:02 PM
honkeetonkin Offline
stranger
stranger
Geo, just wondering, I heard that you cant bring handguns into your country anymore, is that true? I realize that it would be a small market for us to come down there but are people whining about it?

Re: New member from downunder [Re: s4s4u] #18738 02/12/2007 10:13 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Before anyone makes plans to come down to Australia to hunt with handguns note that firearms are covered by both State and Commonwealth (Federal) legislation. None of which is friendly to handgun hunters. In particular the Queensland Weapons Regulations (made under the Weapons Act) states

"16 What concealable firearms licence authorises
(1) A concealable firearms licence authorises the licensee to
possess or use any pistol not in category R for the purpose
stated on the licence.
(2) However, a concealable firearms licence does not authorise
the possession or use of a weapon for recreational shooting."

Recreational shooting is the term used for hunting. Now I and others are trying to get the legislation changed, but running around and getting yourself jailed isn't going to help. I know its a bummer, but if you get charged, you'll lose all your guns and get a record. Ask yourself if its worth it. To our US mates, just remember that John Howard hates guns and shooters even more than Hilary Clinton does.

Re: New member from downunder [Re: Walkingthemup] #18739 02/12/2007 10:41 AM
IKE Offline
Welcome aboard !

I just finished reading Gary Reeders new book on handgun hunting this weekend and one of the articles was about him hunting in Australia for several different animals but the one he hunted that rather surprised me was 'wild feral donkeys'.....the one he was pictured with weighed 700 lbs. and looked to be larger than our donkey and about the size of a smallish mule.

For those that are thinking of purchasing Reeders 167 page book I found it to be a good read on hunting with handguns of all action types. Even though several commercial and wildcat calibers were mentioned it was naturally centered more around his GNR calibers.

Ike

Vietnam veteran.
NRA Range Safety Officer.
IHMSA # 48226.
Re: New member from downunder [Re: geo01] #18740 02/12/2007 12:12 PM
keyman Offline
'Allo Geo!, How wonderful to hear from Down Under! With 21 years under my belt before I retired from the US Navy, I had the good fortune to visit your country many times. Mostly Perth/Fremantle, but also Hobart, Tasmania. Memorable people, and a beautiful Land. Even learned to play a digeredo, a feat akin to alchemy here in America! Never got to your corner of Australia, but I will. I'll knock you up before I leave, stay on the Forum, that way we'll all know how to find you!

D'Keyman (Non Sibi Sed Patriae, Not Self But Country)

Re: New member from downunder [Re: geo01] #18741 02/13/2007 6:56 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
geo01,
In 1993 I had the pleasure of hunting Javan Rusa stag, goats, and 'roo in Queensland.Unbeknownst to me when I bought the hunt at auction, Queensland had outlawed the import of handguns for hunting the year before, so I used a Win. Mdl. 70 in .300 H&H. In 2000, I was able to use my T/C Contender .375JDJ handgun in Arnhemland to take Buffalo.I'm told I was the last man to be able to do so, as before the next season, the new woman administrator in the N.T. who was responsible for such things, stopped issuing Temporary Import Permits for handguns for hunting.I'm told the ban continues up there, as well as every where else in the country.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod