Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone else seen this article??? #18911 02/18/2007 3:24 PM
RadioTech Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, it looks like Outdoor Life deleted the blog by Zumbo in which he stated that AR type rifles were "assault weapons" and had no place in the hunting fields.
Brian

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

I can't believe what this idiot wrote. I'm not sure what side he is on when it comes to gun control. Seems to lean to the Brady side from this article.
What's next, handguns for hunting should be banned?
Brian

Last edited by RadioTech; 02/19/2007 8:04 PM.
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: RadioTech] #18912 02/18/2007 3:48 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Yes and unfortunately guys like Zumbo and other writers who have the hunters ears are sending the wrong message. maybe Jim wants my Rem 7400 and my Browning BAR or Beretta ExTrema banned too? I can't wait for the opportunity to bring my Bushmaster Varmint and 24x Leupold out West for a 'dog' shoot. yes it is a tack driver, but I am no closer to being a terrorist than Elmer Fudd! I don't understand his, or anyone esle who shares his views. IMHO-They are dead wrong. The 2nd Amendment is not about the right to hunt. I'm all for stopping terrorism and the like, but AR's do have a place in our fields. I don't know about all US States, but the ones I do know don't allow mag capacity to exceed 5 rds for hunting. Maybe if JimBo would shoot and hunt with one, he'd change his mind. It goes to show you how the media (gun writers included) can try and contol us and the agenda! I hate em all! Maybe JimBo should invite Nancy Pelosi and Hillary on an Elk hunt. Lunch would a big Left Wing, and supper would be 2 fatty thighs! Zumbo has been in his own world ever since he started to pay guides to find a big Elk and point them out for him. Read between his lines. He never back-packed or hunted a wild Elk on his own in his whole life. He writes like he does! Now he wants to cater to the Dems in a false attempt to protect his hunting. Sorry Jim, it aint about hunting!
Angry in PA!

Last edited by Bullelk Hunter; 02/19/2007 12:38 AM.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: RadioTech] #18913 02/18/2007 3:51 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
No I hadn't seen it but thank you very much for bringing it to our attention. These words really surprise me coming out of his mouth. He was one that quit an outdoor writers group a few years ago when they bad-mouthed the NRA publicly. He's entitled to his opinion but I don't think gun owners need his help any longer. I'd hate to think of his opinion of us handgun hunters. I think this rates a sticky post.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: Gary] #18914 02/18/2007 4:21 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
His post is getting so many comments that their network thinks they are being attacked by a robot making posts.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: RadioTech] #18915 02/19/2007 12:38 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Divide and conquer, that's the surefire formula for battleground success. This A$$-whole has just given the anti's what they want, a little piece which will become a bigger piece as division spreads among us. Those remarks are not only stupid, they are inflamatory. Anti-hunters have tried and succeeded to some degree using this method against bear hunting, pitch spot-and-stock hunters against baiters against hounders. NOT GOOD! I've never made a point of watching his programs anyway, and will make a point of avoiding them now as well as his sponsors. Shame, shame!!!!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: RadioTech] #18916 02/19/2007 12:47 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
I just read his new response in his blog and I fully accept his apology! I think it should be rewarding for him to see how many, and how focused we are! I now have a little more respect for his as a spoesman for me as a sportsman and hunter. On the other hand, keep an open ey and close ear on the new election guidelines being quietly proposed by some of our fellow Statesmen in Congress and elseewhere. They want to either control or eliminate lobbyist power for electorial candidates, etc. This means they want to open doors for attacking things they don't like drug pricing, the NRA and even some environmental groups. This is an attack on capitalism and our freedoms. Kepp your focus and listen to what's happening. Its bigger than all of us. No I am not an anarchist; but I'm not on the side of Monarchy either. We need social programs, but we need free enterprise too. Gary, please feel free to move this if necessary. Long live the NRA, otherwise we'd be enojoying target shooting with our AR's and XP's just like they do in England!

And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #18917 02/19/2007 3:21 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I've met Jim on a number of occasions and from what I've seen I do believe he is sorry for his statements but it may be too little too late. In a sort of short-sighted way, I think he was trying to help and I think he spoke before he thought. He should know that anti's don't care what kind of gun hunters use - they want to take away all of them especially handguns & the black guns. As I stated earlier Zumbo was one of a number of outdoor writers who left the Outdoor Writers Assoc. a couple of years ago because they didn't understand the 2nd Amendment or the first for that matter. However, it does not appear from the majority of comments that he will be easily forgiven.

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: Gary] #18918 02/19/2007 4:46 AM
TomC Offline
I emailed his sponsors today and got a response from Tommy Milner, CEO of Remington who stated that Mr. Zumbo is no longer being sponsored by Rem. They are the first of many to drop Zumbo like a hot potato. He is finished as an outdoor writer. He made his bed, so now he has to lie in it. I have absolutely no sympathy for him.

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: TomC] #18919 02/19/2007 1:28 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I believe his career is wiped out with the firestorm he created. With anti's copying his words and posting on their website (I haven't been there myself to look) I just think not only he has hurt himself but potentially a lot of others since he has been a long time representative of the shooting community.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: Gary] #18920 02/19/2007 7:03 PM
GonHuntin Offline
Gary

I completely disagree......if you read Zumbo's "apology", the only "I'm sorry" in the entire statement is for sticking his foot in his mouth. Nowhere does he recant his "terrorists rifles" statement and all that infers. He thought it, he wrote it and he posted it.....this was not some off the cuff, spur of the moment comment.....I believe he meant exactly what he posted. I also believe his "apology" is simply a ploy to save some of his sponsors and, from the looks of things, it isn't working......Remington has already officially announced that they are severing all ties with him........

I believe he has committed the "unforgivable sin" as far as his career is concerned......I know I won't be buying anything that supports him.

In 1994, Field & Stream published an editorial in favor of the "assault Weapons Ban......I swore that I would never buy another F&S magazine......I haven't and never will......if Outdoor Life doesn't fire him, it will be included in my "don't buy" list.......

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: GonHuntin] #18921 02/19/2007 7:25 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I think he is sorry he said what he did because I doubt he sought to provide help for the anti's but that was the effect intended or not. I agree with you it doesn't seem like he has changed is opinion. I can't believe that OL hasn't pulled the blog. It looks like they are just going to try and let things blow over. I don't think that's going to work very well.

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: GonHuntin] #18922 02/19/2007 9:47 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
all three of the major "sportsman" mags are guilty of this. outdoor life, field and stream, and sport afield all are of the mindset of banning all but "sporting-purpose" firearms. at one time or another i've seen editors or contributors in all three say as such. if it's not a bolt rifle or double gun of some sort, they have no use for it.
if you remember correctly, several years ago even charlton heston was on some tv program declaring "no one needs an ak-47". i assume he recanted this when he was elected president of the nra.....maybe not. kinda makes you wonder who's really with us

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: bisleyfan44] #18923 02/19/2007 10:08 PM
GonHuntin Offline
Well, Brady is now using Zumbo's comments: Brady Campaign MySpace Page

Quote:

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Even Remington's top gun writer agrees on Assault Weapons

With important writers such as this on our side, it is clear that we have a cultural imperative to remove dangerous terrorist rifles from our streets, and our woods.

Jim Zumbo is a writer for the prestigious Outdoor Life magazine and represents the views of America's true sportsmen. He is also sponsored by Remington.

Until Zumbo's statement, I had never seen them use the term "Terrorist's rifles".......thanks Jim!

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: GonHuntin] #18924 02/19/2007 10:19 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Zumbo's Blog is now gone from OL.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: GonHuntin] #18925 02/19/2007 10:27 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
i can say that i'm heartened by the responses they are getting to this story. the pro-gun people there are letting their voices be heard. there are a couple of dinga-lings responding, but most are on our side. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: RadioTech] #18926 02/19/2007 10:32 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Ya know guys, I have to say I too am very sorry. I was too quick to react to, and accept his rebuttal. I re-read his statement and then his follow-up and I think it is one of the fastest back-pedal jobs I have ever read! He worded it to fit the response and not what I believe are his true feelings. I apologize to this site for accepting his 2nd statement so quickly. It was a very lame attempt to go back on his words, and all he does is solidify himself in the ranks of the Kerry's et al who won't take a definitive stance on a subject and stand behind it. I still stand behind the AR-15 in the hands of citizens and hunters alike. I love mine!! I shoot mine alot, and I will hunt with mine when in a state that allows it. 42 clicks from the 200 Zero equals the black at 600!!

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: bisleyfan44] #18927 02/19/2007 10:41 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
And remember, after the Black Assault Rifle will be the scoped sniper rifle you shoot at deer with at long range........ They're after ALL of them! Give them NONE of them. No compromise here. For the (percieved) safety of a few, the Liberty (realized) of many is sacrificed. Heck, lead bullets banned in Kaliforya? Can't get the guns, but they'll get the means. Go Barnes!

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #18928 02/19/2007 10:47 PM
GonHuntin Offline
Bullelk

It's worse than that.....it's not just long range rifles.......how does this grab you?

From the Brady Campaign Myspace Page:

Quote:

19 Feb 2007

The tragic proliferation of Sniper Rifles

I would like to take a moment to comment on the proliferation of Sniper Rifles.
Sniper Rifles are typically equipped with a high-powered scope, and every single one of them can blow through the body armor cops wear. They can even penetrate multiple police cars. Does the Second Amendment protect cop-killer Sniper Rifles? The NRA certainly thinks so, along with the powerful gun lobby that wants your children and your law enforcement officers to be at risk from these weapons of mass destruction. Some of these Sniper Rifles can even penetrate ballistic or armored glass, lightly armored vehicles, and armored limousines. Senator Ted Kennedy attempted to solve this with an important bill that would have banned armor piercing ammunition and protected lawful firearm commerce:

"Another rifle caliber, the 30.30 caliber, was responsible for penetrating three officers' armor and killing them in 1993, 1996, and 2002. This ammunition is also capable of puncturing light-armored vehicles, ballistic or armored glass, armored limousines, even a 600-pound safe with 600 pounds of safe armor plating.....

..It is outrageous and unconscionable that such ammunition continues to be sold in the United States of America.."

Should our elected officials live under the threat of reprisal on their lives from disgruntled constituents? The Gun Lobby seems to think so. We disagree.

Sniper Rifles can be equipped with precision optics above even what the Military uses, allowing a sniper to deliver rounds within millimeters of accuracy - enabling them to engage targets at distances of well over one hundred meters. Is there a pressing need to be able to kill with accuracy at that distance? It is too far to justify as self defense. It is too far for hunting. It is only useful for those who wish to murder from afar.

Large caliber Sniper Rifles such as the .50 Browning Machine Gun can derail freight cars, shoot down aircraft and helicopters, damage vital ground equipment such as power substations, fuel tanks, and air traffic control, and cause complete chaos. For more information on why large caliber machine-gun rounds must be banned, visit http://www.50caliberterror.com. A shipment of large caliber machine-gun round sniper rifles made by Steyr turned up in Iran, and are being used on our own soldiers, as the .50 bullets easily defeat their body armor, their up-armored humvees, and even APCs.

Many forward thinking, progressive politicians such as Ted Kennedy, Chuck Schumer, Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama have voted against Center-Fire Rifle Ammunition of types for Sniper Rifles, but due to the pressure and massive financial resources of the gun industry, the necessary steps to protect our homes and lives have not been attained.

Sniper Rifles have been used by murderers and spree killers for years, with notable incidents such as the Beltway Snipers, the Clocktower Sniper, and more.

ANY rifle configured and equipped as a sniper rifle has no sporting purpose especially as a hunting rifle. They are too big and heavy to take to the field. Designed for distance shooting, they are useless for the ranges at which game animals are normally shot, and when used on sporting sized game at range they often just wound the animal, inhumanely forcing it to die slowly while the would-be hunter tracks it to finish it off. Most Sniper Rifles fire atypically large cartridges and ultra high velocity ammunition that can travel much greater distances that standard ammunition. The danger imposed from missed shots and ricochetes from these specialty rounds is unreasonable.

Most of these rifles carry multiple rounds, with either an automatic mechanism, or a quick toggle action to rapidly move another bullet into the breech, ready to fire into another victim. In most states, they are nearly unrestricted. Anyone over the age of 18 can buy one. If they can't pass a background check, they skirt the NCIS system by going to a gunshow, or finding a private sale in the newspaper. A murderer camped at a distance from a public gathering could quickly turn it into a massacre dwarfing anything we have seen before in the United States, if they had a Sniper Rifle. If they adopted hit and run tactics, entire portions of our country could be shut down.

Sniper Rifles shoot a high powered bullet that is almost always fatal. They are designed for one thing- delivering powerful overkill with deadly precision. You don't need the kind of power and accuracy that can kill a man at five hundred yards for hunting rabbits or defending your house.

We should also give commendations to France because many years ago they designated any firearm capable of shooting military ammunition as a military arm, illegal to posess without a special permit and unlawful to use for hunting. The 223, 308, 7mm mauser, 30-06, and 6.5x55 have no place in the hunting fields of France. Firearms shooting these calibers are military weapons only designed for killing PEOPLE and should be kept out of the hands of the general population. Because they have no hunting purpose, there is no reason for civilians to own them.

Every state in the USA has hunting equipment rules that limit the caliber of firearm used to take game. They also limit the types of rifles, length, magazine capacity, etc. States should amend these hunting regulations to restrict the use of "sniper" rifles, specialty "sniper" cartridges, and "sniper" ammunition. Limits on weight, barrel length, bipods and tripods, thumbhole stocks and pistol grips, night vision type scopes, scopes of excessive magnification, super magnum and high velocity ammunition, and military slings should be imposed. They have no place in the hunting fields of America and hunting usage should not be used as an argument for civilians to own such firearms and weapons. There are more than ample hunting rifles, cartridges, and rounds of ammunition to choose from without them.

Let us hope that in a safer, saner America, we will succeed in our efforts to restrict the deadly spread of long distance murder rifles.

Even the lowly 30-30 isn't safe from these idiots! Can you imagine the panic over Ernie, Dan and Steve's "sniper pistols".....long range capable with plenty of juice to defeat most body armor *AND* concealable under a light jacket!!!

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: GonHuntin] #18929 02/20/2007 12:27 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Yeah, I guess hse would be really happy to know my 15" Ecnore 223 and 308 shoot MOA to 400yds with MilSurp ammo. That article only proves that their line of thinking is based on zero logic. They'd rather keep the stuff from us rather than keeping Iran or N Korea from supplying weapons and REAL mass destruction devices. I really believe that if teh list of forward-thinking people they named have no criminal intent on the American people, they'd leave us alone. They want total control via gun control. Since when was Ted Kennedy concerned about anythng other than adultry and booze? They're all smacks, and if they weren't doing something illegal or eveil, they wouldn't be worried.

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: GonHuntin] #18930 02/20/2007 12:35 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Quote:

Even the lowly 30-30 isn't safe from these idiots! Can you imagine the panic over Ernie, Dan and Steve's "sniper pistols".....long range capable with plenty of juice to defeat most body armor *AND* concealable under a light jacket!!!

Thanks Mark

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: Ernie] #18931 02/20/2007 3:33 AM
GonHuntin Offline
You're welcome......can't blame me for "diverting attention".....you know their hair would burst into flames if they saw some of my toys!

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: GonHuntin] #18932 02/20/2007 4:21 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
You are correct. I'm tame compared to....

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: Ernie] #18933 02/20/2007 12:32 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Be very alert. In my country the antis kicked up a fuss about assault weapons, being pistol-gripped semi-auto centrefires. By 1997 they had banned all semi-auto rifles and shotguns (even ultra civie .22 rabbit rifles) and pumpaction shotguns. In 2003 they again found a label to apply weapons and banned sporting shooters from having handguns greater than .38 cal (some restricted exemptions), banned greater than 10 shot magazines, banned comparitively short barrels (less than 4"). For security guards they've now banned greater than .40 cal. Recently they have banned rifle magazines of greater than 10-15 rounds. Of course this has not made any impact whatsoever on crime or violence, but does anyone believe they ever intended it to. They simply want to ban ALL guns. Labels and types are marketing ploys to frighten the public. They're already talking about the need to ban "high power sniper rifles" ie any scoped bolt action.

Fight it every which way you can before you go down the tube like us.

Re: Anyone else seen this article??? [Re: Walkingthemup] #18934 02/20/2007 12:55 PM
Andyhunter Offline
We all need to work together and make sure that EVERYONE we know who owns guns, need to be in the NRA! Just look at the article in today's (2/20/07) USA Today, "Police Needing Heavier Weapons". It is a very slanted article saying that "assault weapons" are becoming very wide spread among gangs and criminals. The numbers that I saw said that less then 2% of all crimes were committed with assault style weapons. This should be a wake up call to everyone to vote and make the right people get into office!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod