Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
locker hinge pin or over sized pin for encore #19301 03/06/2007 5:56 PM
medic404 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
thinking of trying one on my encore does anyone have any feedback on the use of the locker pin or oversized pins

Re: locker hinge pin or over sized pin for encore [Re: medic404] #19302 03/06/2007 7:44 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
bellm says do it.
eabco says no way.
who knows?

www.bellmtcs.com
www.eabco.com

you can probably guess what t/c says.
personally, i don't see much need for them. none of my bbls have any slop in them, or not enough to tell anyway. i think t/c keeps the tolerances pretty close.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: locker hinge pin or over sized pin for encore [Re: medic404] #19303 03/06/2007 8:19 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've been shooting Contenders for over 10 years and had likely a dozen frames and 50 barrels. Any that would not shoot had problems that were NOT hinge pic related. Mostly chamber or crown issues that T/C remedied w/ a new barrel or repair.

I'd go with T/C's reccommendation and say "nay" to the oversized pin.

Re: locker hinge pin or over sized pin for encore [Re: Dan B.] #19304 03/06/2007 9:03 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My thought is this.
If the 1st oversize pin fits without reaming why notuse it & tighten up tolersnces a bit?
I intend to oreder one to try in mine. If you pull the forearm off, turn the gun on it's side when open, & shake you can get the pin to walk part way out. When the gun is assembled & you open the action you can wiggle the end of the barrel sideways about 3/8". I can honestly see close to 1/8" lateral movement looking at the locking lugs & fireing pin retainer with the action open!
It may or may not hurt the accuracy (haven't had a chance to shot this gun yet. Hopefull Friday), but the slop still bothers me.
Wouldn't ream the frame though.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: locker hinge pin or over sized pin for encore [Re: Vance in AK.] #19305 03/06/2007 9:20 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Quote:

If you pull the forearm off, turn the gun on it's side when open, & shake you can get the pin to walk part way out. When the gun is assembled & you open the action you can wiggle the end of the barrel sideways about 3/8". I can honestly see close to 1/8" lateral movement looking at the locking lugs & fireing pin retainer with the action open!

Wow...never seen one that loose!! I'd send something with that much movement back to the factory w/ a long letter explaining the problem and how that appears to me as poor craftmanship!!

Re: locker hinge pin or over sized pin for encore [Re: medic404] #19306 03/06/2007 10:14 PM
medic404 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have had no problems with my encore but read about problems others have had think i like the idea of the locker pin better you dont have to reem anything is made to fit any frame and bbl already out and does not void the warranty see the links page E Authur Brown and CO. 39.00 +sph

Re: locker hinge pin or over sized pin for encore [Re: Vance in AK.] #19307 03/07/2007 4:10 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
Vance, if you can move the end of the bbl 3/8", i don't think ANY size oversize pin will help. there is definitely something wrong. i agree with Dan...SEND IT BACK!!! that's way loose.

medic404, i've never tried the locking pin, but to me it sounds like another gimmick. some people worry about free floating the forends. for some it's sanding the forearm's "ears" to make sure they don't rub the frame. for others it's spring kits, etc. alot of these companies are out there to play on our "tinkerer" nature in making us believe we have to do all these things or our guns won't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside. to each their own. Heaven knows i've been on the back of the gimmick wagon.....too many times to count!

imo, as long as everything is within factory specs, make sure you have a good trigger and a good crown and you'll be fine.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: locker hinge pin or over sized pin for encore [Re: bisleyfan44] #19308 03/07/2007 4:55 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Quote:

medic404, i've never tried the locking pin, but to me it sounds like another gimmick. some people worry about free floating the forends. for some it's sanding the forearm's "ears" to make sure they don't rub the frame. for others it's spring kits, etc. alot of these companies are out there to play on our "tinkerer" nature in making us believe we have to do all these things or our guns won't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside. to each their own. Heaven knows i've been on the back of the gimmick wagon.....too many times to count!

imo, as long as everything is within factory specs, make sure you have a good trigger and a good crown and you'll be fine.

Exactly!!!

Re: locker hinge pin or over sized pin for encore [Re: medic404] #19309 03/07/2007 6:34 PM
medic404 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks guys for the great feedback ya just saved me 40 bucks if it aint broke dont fix it sounds good to me thats what makes this forum great

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod