Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My 500 S&W ate my Burris mount! #215 01/26/2004 2:57 AM
Recoil Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Took my 500 S&W out for some exercise last Thursday after work. I have been having trouble getting enough range in adjustment to get my groups low enough. Had some different inserts installed in my Signature rings a week ago Saturday and I thought that would take care of the problem. Anyway the groups started out where I wanted them after I got it adjusted then the groups started crawling up again. I finally noticed that the Burris base was cracked at the last mounting screw so the back of the scope was lifting hence groups crawled up. Burris gave me a new base now I will give it another go. They said that this has never happened before, not sure about that.

Recoil

Re: My 500 S&W ate my Burris mount! [Re: Recoil] #216 01/26/2004 4:31 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
All that power is tearing things up!

I was mounting a scope to a Ruger rifle with the Burris Ruger to Weaver bases and ran into problems. The front base was machined wrong. Most weaver rails are .840" wide, this one was .800". When I tightened the ring down it tipped to the side and stressed the metal along the relief cut. I called Burris and they acted surprised. The fellow on the phone said "send it to us, we need to take a look at that". He apologized and said that they will replace the base and the rings. That's OK but I need to mount the scope that day so I used the factory Ruger rings. I sure hope they don't leave marks on that new Nikon scope.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: My 500 S&W ate my Burris mount! [Re: Recoil] #217 11/10/2005 10:30 AM
texastomcatt Offline
stranger
stranger
I have a Weigand combat mount on my S & W 500, using weaver rings and a bushnell elite 3200 scope, it seems to be working fine (so far!) I had some trouble when I first mounted my scope though, the scope up-down adjustment bottomed out and was still shooting about 6 inches high at 20 yards. After talking to several people, I ended up shimming up the front of the mount a bit and it has been working fine since!

Re: My 500 S&W ate my Burris mount! [Re: Recoil] #218 11/10/2005 10:35 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I had the same issue with scope adjustment with my bushnell elite 2x-6x when I had my leupold base and rings on, I went from a medium to a high ring and it fixed it, what was weird is the medium rings worked fine with my leupold scope. I finally decided on the warne mount and rings from smith and my leupold 2x scope, and so far I've had no problems with that combo.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod