Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Out of the ashes! #19801 04/11/2007 11:43 AM
Walkingthemup Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
After years of drought and a devastating bushfire season, it was with some trepidation that some mates and I ventured forth after Sambar deer (rifles only due to our laws). Local deer hunting circles were full of tales of doom and gloom. Apparently most of the deer perished in the fires or starved to death afterwards, or so it was claimed.

We arrived at our favourite spot to find it had been in the middle of the worst hit area. Blackened trees, very little ground cover and bugger all surface water. None the less we setup camp just before last light, had a meal and the odd ale or two.

Around 03:00 in the morning one of my mates got up to answer the call of nature on a tree at the edge of the campsite. (Yes we’re all getting to that age!) His call of nature was answered by an almighty HONK closely followed by crashing vegetation. Bloody deer had been browsing on bush at the very edge of the camp. Things were looking good.

A days hunting revealed plenty of fresh sign. By the following night there was venison on the ground! It wasn’t found in a pocket of unburnt bush, rather it was in the middle of one of the blackened areas. A nice hind in excellent condition. These are a magnificent animal. Even in the worst conditions they not only survive but thrive. Far from being wiped out it seemed that there were even more than last year.

Murphy's law applies. The one thing left at home was the camera. Next time....

Re: Out of the ashes! [Re: Walkingthemup] #19802 04/11/2007 12:15 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
congratulations on your successful hunt. it definately sounds like the odds were against you, but it worked out well in the end. sorry you forgot the camera, i sure would have liked to see pictures. i don't know if i've seen a sambar deer before. i'm glad the population wasn't too affected by fires and drought. they must be a pretty hardy and adaptive species. congrats again and good luck next time, too!!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Out of the ashes! [Re: bisleyfan44] #19803 04/11/2007 2:45 PM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
Hi Hunter,
I live in the N/W (Oregon). We have had multiple huge fires of 300,000 - 400,000 acres that have ravaged the forest; and finally allowed nature to take back what 100 years of fire suppression created. I hunt those burns for elk and deer. The number of animals have never been higher. The fire always burns in a mosaic leaving islands of trees. The grasses, ferns and aspens come back, and so do the deer, elk and bear. Fire is the best thing to happen out here in the west. Sounds like it is good for your enviroment too!

Bill in OR

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod