Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Scope question for new G2 #19898 04/20/2007 5:35 PM
PC730 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Question from a brand new handgunner. Browsing great info on this site drove me to buy a new G2 with 7-30 W 14" barrel. It appears that was the easy part. I'm ready to scope it now and could use advice. As a newbie, I really don't anticipate taking shots at the distances you veterans can handle. My question is...fixed or variable for a beginner? Would you recommend a fixed 4X (instead of a 2-7X variable) for shots up to 100 yds (if I reach that level of proficiency) since I wouldn't have the issue of changing eye relief to contend with? I wonder about difficulty in locating a moving target at close ranges with a 4X. I know I could use a variable set on 4X to begin with, but I'm concerned that the eye relief at that setting would be an uncomfortable distance for a beginner. It just seems I would be most comfortable with my arms extended when shooting the G2 for the first time. I understand that the Bushnell Elite 3200 variable has constant eye relief, but it seems that the Burris variables get higher grades from you guys. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Scope question for new G2 [Re: PC730] #19899 04/20/2007 6:42 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Depending on your budget I'd say a Bushnell 2-6x32, either Trophy or Elite. The Trophy goes for about $155 where the Elite is near double that. The Elite has a bit better glass and a special "rainguard" coating but the Trophy will work just a well in practical applications. Both have constant eye relief throughout the power band. The Burris' are fine scopes but spendy and the eye relief shortens as the power is turned up. I have various variables on all my T/C's, you may not hunt on 6x but will appreciate it for sighting in. I carry on minimum magnification 'cause you'll always have time to crank it up if necessary but may not have time to go the other way. The Waters is a legit 250 yard pistol in a 14" so why not have an equal optic capability just in case. You will get more proficient as you practice and learn. JMHO, Rod.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Scope question for new G2 [Re: PC730] #19900 04/20/2007 8:33 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Since you made the jump directly to a new G2...combined with the excellent 7-30 Waters in a Super 14 barrel...that combo screams for a Burris 2-7X w/ ballistic plex reticle!!

In the learning stages...keep the magnification on low end for practice and hunting. Then as your skills progress you can use the upper end magnification and enlist the BP reticle to make connecting at longer ranges MUCH easier. I just got a new 3-12x Burris w/ BP reticle for my XP-100 .250 Savage Improved. Zeroed at 150yds then made some first shot connection at 300yds on a half gallon jug, 330yd steel g-hog target and then hit 4" from a baseball size rock at 400yds.

Re: Scope question for new G2 [Re: PC730] #19901 04/21/2007 12:49 AM
Carolina Mtn Man Offline
Hi. Congrats on the new G2. I would have to recommend the Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x32. I've put one on a 7mm-08, 44 mag, and a S&W .460. I've had great results with each.

I believe the most important considerations with a handgun scope is durability, eye relief and light gathering ability. Big-bore handguns place a tremendous amount of torque and energy on a scope, therefore if the scope is not of superior quality it will at the least tend to lose point of aim and may just outright fall apart. You can not ask for better quality than Leupold.

As you mentioned, variable scopes tend to change the eye relief with magnification however the leupold does not to an appreciable amount (15 inches from 2.5 - 8X) The eye relief of the burris 2-7X is 11 to 21 inches. So obtaining the sight picture should be much easier with the Leupold.

Lastly, in my experience with handgun hunting, the limiting factor with a handgun scope is its light gathering ability. Just a small increase in light gathering ability will extend the time you can remain in the stand. These dawn and dusk times are usually the exact times when the larger bucks tend to appear. That 15 extra minutes may be the difference between the trophy and going home empty handed. Make sure you get a 32mm scope and compare the light gathering abilities. There again, I believe the Leupold is superior to the others.

Now, truely I'm not a Leupold salesman . And I have seen on this forum people who have had bad experiences with the Leupold. I think you can get lemons with anything. But I continue to think that overall the Leupold is the way to go.

Good luck with your decision and have fun with your G2.

May the Sun be at your back, the Wind in your face, and the Trophy in your Crosshairs!
Re: Scope question for new G2 [Re: PC730] #19902 04/21/2007 2:25 AM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
I'd opt for the Burris. I 've only had 2 scopes ever fail on me and both were Bushnell. One was a trophy and the other was the Elite.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Scope question for new G2 [Re: PC730] #19903 04/21/2007 2:31 AM
PC730 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Seems like there is agreement to go with the variables over the fixed power. That was my biggest concern as a first timer with the Contender. I appreciate the info, exactly what I was looking for.

Re: Scope question for new G2 [Re: PC730] #19904 04/21/2007 1:45 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Another is the Weaver Classic 2.5-8, I have one on my Competitor and like it a lot

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Scope question for new G2 [Re: PC730] #19905 04/21/2007 3:50 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I have to second the Leupold VXIII, I noticed no difference in eye relief with the two I had, I had one on my 460XVR and one on my 375JDJ, if it is in your budget I don't think you can beat the Leupold. I'd still be using the Leupolds but I kinda went back to my roots and shoot nothing but iron sighted single action revolvers now.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod