Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LR Hunting #20084 05/08/2007 2:32 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So guys, I am a frequent flier on the LR hunting site and view the specialty handgun link there often. I see XP, HS and Dan B post there. My question is this. What is the longest 'big game' I.E. Deer sized or larger, shot successfully taken and what did you use? I am really wondering about bullet performance and handgun velocities. I know velocities are slower than a rifle, but in some cases they're on par. Dan B's 7mm270 whatchamacallit is fast and flat. How do you guys see these work. My 375JDJ and the 285 Speer Grandslam worked exceptionally well at 175yds, but at barely 2000fps, I think the range was just about the limit; I did get full, pass-thru penetration, so there was a little more left. How about the smaller calibers?

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #20085 05/08/2007 3:07 AM
nmhunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good question Gerry, The first big game animal I took with a LRP was an Oryx in NM. she was 232 yds away and I had full penetration with a 308 win out of my first HS Precision handgun. Field dressed weight was just shy of 400 lbs. broke both legs at the shoulders. Since then I have taken deer in KY up to a little over 400 yds. Last year I took two antelope in WY , one at 115 yds and the other at 415+- yds.
Most of the Ky deer were taken with the 308's and the 284 winchester. the antelope fell to a 7-08 and 284 win. All shots have been pass throughs with great expansion except one and that was a 90 yd shot at a big whitetail with full penetration from front of shoulder to exiting through opposite hip, bullet did not expand (150 gr BT out of a 308 win). nosler couldn't explain what happened either. we were lucky to find the deer. He was a brute, 18 pt non-typical ,190 lb FD.
all of my game have been taken with the HS's
120 & 140 gr in the 284 cal
150 & 165 gr in the 308 cal
all Ballistic tips
nmhunter (hshunter on the LR site)

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #20086 05/08/2007 4:04 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Antelope out to about 440-450 yds 7-08 and 284 Win (140 NBT)
Mule deer buck 700 yds 7-08 (140 NBT) long story.
Bull Elk 540 yds 140 NP 284 Win
Cow elk 416 yds 7.82 Patriot 180 SGK
Cow Elk 666 yards 7mm Dakota 200 Wildcat
Whitetail buck 540 yds 7mm Dakota 200 WC
A-Max's, Berger's and some SMK's work great for game (double lung shot).
Don't know enough about the 375 to make a comment.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Ernie] #20087 05/08/2007 12:03 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've used the Waters (Super 14 Contender)out to 225-ish yds w/ 120gr bullet on a few deer and gotten so-so results. They all were found but 100yd blood trails were common.

The 7-08 and 154gr SST's (Striker) worked well to 270yds on two doe. Expansion was great at 230yds, slightly less at 270yds but fully penetrated from neck to hip and exited.

Turkey...229yds w/ .222 Remmy and 50gr VM. This is a super lethal combo on anything consider a varmint to 300yds. The 7mm-270WSM also does well on birds to 396yds w/ a 162gr AM at 2825fps...I'd imagine it works at longer ranges but not had the chance to test it yet!

Back to deer...377yds is my longest. Used the 7mm-270WSM XP-100 w/ the 162gr AM. Penetration and wound channels were awesome!! Channels...yep...got two wound channels with one shot. That was the doubled fawns that I shot in the crop damage hunt last August. So I guess my longest shot is 377.5 yds since the deer in front was 377yds... That weekend I also took a few around 350yds and had great bullet performance.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Dan B.] #20088 05/08/2007 12:26 PM
katcher Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I can't wait to play this game...but I can't play in Ohio

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #20089 05/08/2007 4:36 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Quote:

So guys, I am a frequent flier on the LR hunting site and view the specialty handgun link there often. I see XP, HS and Dan B post there. My question is this. What is the longest 'big game' I.E. Deer sized or larger, shot successfully taken and what did you use?
I am really wondering about bullet performance and handgun velocities. Dan B's 7mm270 whatchamacallit is fast and flat. How do you guys see these work. How about the smaller calibers?

Gerry, FWIW The 7mm Dakota is capable of cleanly taking big game out to and beyond 1,000 yards.
That being said, I am not where I want to be for that to happen. The good thing is that "Puff" is patient

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Ernie] #20090 05/08/2007 8:36 PM
Ed P 6989 Offline
Gerry,
I took a springbok with my .260 at 365yds during my first trip to Africa. On my second trip, after two days of stalking Zebra I shot one with my .35-06 JDJ at around 350 yds. A few years back I shot a whitetail with a 7-30 Waters at 271yds as it was troting away from me (Texas heart shot). That's about it for me and long range hunting.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #20091 05/09/2007 1:05 AM
SS 308 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Damn! My longest shot was on an Antelope at just over 350 yds! I feel like an amateur...

300 WSM, using a 165 gr Swift Sirocco (sp?).

Not as lean, Not as mean, But still a Marine!
Re: LR Hunting [Re: SS 308] #20092 05/09/2007 2:43 AM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
My longest big game kill so far would have to be my doe antelope @ 420 yds. (actually my buddy Mitch shot it with my HG). It was my 243 WSSM Striker/115 Berger/4.5-14X Leupold VH reticle. Bullet performance was perfect. I took another one out of the same herd with the same rig @ 330. Bullet perofrmance was again perfect.

Shot a 4X4 mulie buck 2 years ago @ 320 with my APS 7-270 WSM XP/200 gr. Wildcat bullet/3-12X Burris. Bullet performance was perfect again.

400 yd. cow elk with my 6.5-284 XP/129 SST/3-12X Burris, bullet performance was fine.

My bighorn and goat were taken with the 6.5-284, same load as above @ right around 300 yds.

I did kill a yearling buck last season @ 595 yds. with Ernie's Dakota/200 Wildcat. Bullet performance was perfect.

Steve
Re: LR Hunting [Re: katcher] #20093 05/09/2007 11:04 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Quote:

I can't wait to play this game...but I can't play in Ohio

Run for the border, bud!! Come on over the the east.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: SS 308] #20094 05/09/2007 2:10 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Quote:

Damn! My longest shot was on an Antelope at just over 350 yds! I feel like an amateur...
300 WSM, using a 165 gr Swift Sirocco (sp?).

Three and half football field lengths is not an amateur distance IMO.
There are a lot of rifle hunters who have no business making shots at those distances.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Ernie] #20095 05/09/2007 3:41 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
There are lots more handgunners that should not attempt a shot like that! From my experience the wind is the biggest problem. The wind where the shooter is can be quite different from what it is where the animal is. If a person misses a target by 6" it's an oops. If an animal's kill zone is missed by 6" it can be a tragedy IMO.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Dan B.] #20096 05/09/2007 4:21 PM
katcher Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

Run for the border, bud!! Come on over to the east.

Ha!

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20097 05/09/2007 5:18 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Quote:

There are lots more handgunners that should not attempt a shot like that! From my experience the wind is the biggest problem. The wind where the shooter is can be quite different from what it is where the animal is. If a person misses a target by 6" it's an oops. If an animal's kill zone is missed by 6" it can be a tragedy IMO.

Well said Recoil.
Wind is the biggest issue when the distance gets longer.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20098 05/09/2007 7:44 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Quote:

Not wanting to start a tussle...but I'd rather be a LR hunter trying to use the tools and time I've invested to estimate shooting conditions and make a well placed shot at an extended range...

...than someone bumbling through the woods winging lead at running deer and hoping to make a connection.

Recoil...from your statement I'm guessing that you have not much interest in LR hunting. I'm also NOT saying that you are in the latter group either. But when it comes to LR hunting, a great deal of restraint must be used to pass on shots that are questionable. And that's after investing a LOT of time and money into developing my skill. I've let deer walk due to questionable rangefinder readings or indeteriminable wind conditions. Those are the hunting shots that you don't hear. When I do drrop the firing pin on an animal you can darn well bet that I've used everyting in my gamebook to place the odds in my favor that the bullet will land on target. But year after year I hear hunters unloading lever and pump guns on targets that have to be moving...tell me how much time those guys invest in jump shooting deer! Or how much time do they spend making sure the first shot is on target.

Again...not starting a scrap...just stating an opinion.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Dan B.] #20099 05/09/2007 8:03 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
Well stated Dan and everyone is entitled to their opinion. The last elk I harvested was at 250 yards. I have harvested an elk at less than 10 yards as well. When all is said and done it always boils down to ethics. Maybe I'm wrong but it appeared that the post was drifting towards bragging rights to who had made the longest shot. That is okay on paper but not on flesh IMO. We all owe it to our prey to know our limitations. The variables increase as the distance increases.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20100 05/09/2007 9:45 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Quote:

When all is said and done it always boils down to ethics. Maybe I'm wrong but it appeared that the post was drifting towards bragging rights to who had made the longest shot. That is okay on paper but not on flesh IMO. We all owe it to our prey to know our limitations. The variables increase as the distance increases.

recoil,
I think Gerry is wanting to know what has worked well at longer ranges.

Bragging rights? maybe.
I guess what I mean by that is that I am proud (not embarrassed or ashamed) of these shots. Just becasue I take pride in what I do or the style I hunt, does not mean that I am without fault or do not make mistakes.
I also am quite happy when I have taken big game at close range, like under 30 yards with my XP off-hand (deer not elk).
I believe on average that the "dedicated LR hunters" wounds and misses quite a bit less than the rest of hunters combined. I do not include those in my definition above who just give some "Kentucky windage" and let'er fly or who just keep shooting until they walk shots in as LR range hunters. My goal is in essence: 1-shot 1-kill
With big game, and especially elk it is 1st shot connection that is lethal and then you continue shooting until it goes down. Elk will act as you probably know bullet-proof @ times and I have also seen them fold in one shot.

I believe the intent of the post is to discover better what bullets work best @ varying impact velocities.
The longest distance I posted was a result of a mistake (in the early 90's) I made, whereas the 2nd longest one (nov of 2006) was taken with confidence and a lot of practice and better equipment and knowledge.
The one that was in the 700 yd range didn't start out that way. in fact, it was basically in the same spot where I had shot a small buck the year before. For some stupid reason I couldn't make myself hold over (pre-target turret & Ballistic plex reticle days) what I knew I should (1/4 mile range) and I wounded him. I still can't tell you why I did that
We couldn't tell where for sure where I hit him but now it was my responsibility to make sure he went down for good. We were hunting in a known area and when he was still enough and I was still enough to make the shot he had increased the distance approx 250 yards. I knew the trajectory at that range and I killed him with that shot.
I was shooting from a sillywet style like rest but had solid back, neck, and head support.
Had he been at that distance to begin with I never would have taken a shot. I wasn't confident at that range for hunting at that time.
Upon retrieval the first shot put a perfectly centered hole through his right front hoof. As you can guess wind conditions were about as perfect as you could imagine as the impact of that first shot was a tad right of where I was aiming.
Was your 250 yard elk with a rifle or handgun (cartridge)?
Type of position used to make the shot?
My family has sure enjoyed the cow I shot this past fall. It is my favorite game meat.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Ernie] #20101 05/09/2007 11:34 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Right on Ernie. I just wanted to know what worked for others. I didn't post to raise the ethics. I myself have a hard time accepting it as LR-hunting, but it is LR shooting and it takes incrdeible skill. But the meaning of hunting is different for everyone. Ethics will always be questioned and I will be the last to judge someone on theirs. I've seen guys wound deer at 60 yards with a poorly placed rifle shot, and I HUNTED them down and killed them with my TC! I agree with the other guys; practice and knowing the tools is what it's all about. I never flinched on my 6x6 at 175 with my 375JDJ, but I sure was curious-and prepared to do what I had to hammer him down. When all said and one, I shot three times and all were within a 4" group in his upper chest-this with my heart pumping out of my own chest. I knew my gun and load to 200 and that was my limit for that cartridge. Now my 338-06 and my 7-08 and 308 will be extending that a little further. I'll be in the High Wilderness this year with one of them, unless I take my Rigby! My longest deer is only 225 with the 308, and my longest chuck is 400 yards with the same gun and load. I took 3 from the same hole on the same day from the same spot and these were creedmore position with a 2x6 scope at the time. It takes practice and confidence. Bragging rights-I don't like to do it, but shooting like we do is worthy of them. DanB and EdP in April knew their guns and loads! Given the wind that day, no one was embarrassed by their skills! It wasn't luck dialing and hitting jugs on that day!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #20102 05/10/2007 1:23 AM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
Well put guys. I think many that question intermediate-range shooting at game haven't ever investigated "tactical-type" systems for longer range shooting. Maybe they don't know what a handgun shooting a .8 BC bullet at 2800 fps. is capable of. For the last 10 yrs. or so this very subject is what Ernie and i have practically devoted all of our free time to. Studying the practical effects of windage on a projectile. Ballistic and ranging reticles, turrets, and ballistic software applications to develop the most effective system that will allow for the highest probability of a 1st shot connection downrange on whatever size tgt. we may be shooting at at the time. Investigating high BC bullet technology to also aid in the accomplishment of the above. All bragging rights aside when Ernie ran 10 in a row on 8" silhouettes at the International Tact. Rifleman's (not handgunners, BTW) Championship in '04 between 585 and 685 yds. is just a phenomenon (better not let that head get big bud--i'll deflate it, u know that). I mean i've never seen that kind of performance before. Maybe some here have, not me. Now, he's shooting a rig that will literally blow that 6.5-284 he was using then away at longer range--big time! How many guys are shooting at steel at these ranges to see just what can be accomplished? Heck, how many guys have access to places that they can evem shoot these kind of ranges? If there's no big range around that allows for this knid of shooting it takes a bunch of leg work to find a place that the farmer/rancher will even let u shoot your guns at these ranges. Nuff said for naw, i'm falling asleep on the keyboard.

Steve
Re: LR Hunting [Re: sscoyote] #20103 05/10/2007 3:21 AM
nmhunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Amen to Steve, Ernie and all others for their varied responses.IT is what you as an individual are willing to do to accomplish shooting the longer ranges. you have to practice from all types of positions and definatley need to know how to judge the wind!!!! Myself I would still rather have a 100 yd or less shot but I know that that is not always available. Unless the conditions are right I will NOT attempt a long range shot but if the conditions warrant it then I know that I have prepared myself for such a shot through many hours of practice ( especially in KY where I know the yardages by heart through many years of glassing and walking off the distances), again well before the use of rangefinders became common. I am still learning about what all these LRP's or SP's will do through reading what others are doing in the long range arena. Ernie, Dan and Steve have been very instrumental in aiding those who are entering that arena. Not bragging just answering a question
nmhunter

Re: LR Hunting [Re: nmhunter] #20104 05/10/2007 10:59 AM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
Hey Ernie. My 250 yard bull elk was harvested using a tripod when I was in a sitting position. I was using my .375-06JDJ Encore with a 15" tube. It has a 3-12 Burris. I did realize the original intent of this post was bullet performance at the longer distances. I was using my prairie dog hunting experiences as a basis for my assumptions. I have experienced swirling winds that change direction significantly down range. I am actually curious as to how you guys factor that in when you take a long range shot at an animal. You have no wind flags and you get only one shot to make an ethical kill so how does it work? I am fascinated with long range shooting and I am asking out of ignorance. Getting back to my original point; not all hunters are marksmen and not all marksmen are hunters.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20105 05/10/2007 11:13 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Recoil...to answer you question about wind. Here in the east we have no shortage of trees!! Getting quality shots over 400+yds can be difficult...hence my longest shots are right in that 400yds area. The large fields are there and power lines are abundant but deer do not always like to frquent those areas and with a short 12 days season I hunt the higher percentage areas.

But when I do get the chance to take a LR shot across a valley...the trees around the intended target are a great help to determine wind conditions. They help to judge direction and intensity then I compare them to the trees that I am closest to. Since I do not have a fancy wind meter yet to calculate my dope I tend to let those shots pass. The strip cuts that I hunt do have a lot of small bushes and tall grass to aid in wind estimates also.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Dan B.] #20106 05/10/2007 12:00 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
Thanks for the explanation Dan. I reckon that the trees that limit your long range shots back east are actually an aid to your wind judgement. Here out west when hunting prairie pooches I do not have many aids to help judge wind conditions. I guess it comes down to knowing ones limitations as is always the case. If a person knows that they can consistently hit the bull at a certain range on the FIRST shot under the existing conditions then it is ethical to take the shot.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20107 05/10/2007 3:13 PM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
While I have hunted back east a few times most of my experience has been in western states. My longest shots have been on antelope in WY. IHO it does not take any hunting skills to shoot an animal at 500 yards, just shooting skills. Same with the guys who shoot from heated elevated blinds and congratulate themselfs as being good hunters; they just shoot well (no hunting involved there). Ethics aside, there is a big differnce in shooting game successfully and hunting them.

Bill in OR

Re: LR Hunting [Re: huntkng] #20108 05/10/2007 3:29 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Quote:

IHO it does not take any hunting skills to shoot an animal at 500 yards, just shooting skills. Same with the guys who shoot from heated elevated blinds and congratulate themselfs as being good hunters; they just shoot well (no hunting involved there). Ethics aside, there is a big differnce in shooting game successfully and hunting them.

Bill...I do agree with your statement. I spent more hours than some can imagine hanging from the side of trees and shooting deer with arrows. Also spent my share time still hunting deer in the thick woods and harvested lots of deer under 40yds while bedded. Remember the 13pt I took year before last...got him still hunting in grapevines.

The LR aspect is just another twist to spend more time in the field. Sometimes it is just nice to kick back and glass for game in the distance. Form there I can either make move with the revolver or grab the XP and drop the thunder!!

In my area we have tons of hunting pressure. The deer will hide in small patches of tress in strip cuts where they are nearly unapproachable...they'll see you and run into another hunter. Or guys will drive these areas and take pot shots at running deer. LR hunting (or maybe just LR shooting) allows me to observe these deer from a distance and possibly fill a tag instead of trying to make tag soup!

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20109 05/10/2007 3:31 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Quote:

Hey Ernie. My 250 yard bull elk was harvested using a tripod when I was in a sitting position. I was using my .375-06JDJ Encore with a 15" tube. It has a 3-12 Burris. I did realize the original intent of this post was bullet performance at the longer distances. I was using my prairie dog hunting experiences as a basis for my assumptions. I have experienced swirling winds that change direction significantly down range. I am actually curious as to how you guys factor that in when you take a long range shot at an animal. You have no wind flags and you get only one shot to make an ethical kill so how does it work? I am fascinated with long range shooting and I am asking out of ignorance. Getting back to my original point; not all hunters are marksmen and not all marksmen are hunters.

Recoil,
That is an extremely valid question.
First many times when hunting the typical time of day is early morning or just before sunset. These times are sometimes (not always) the ideal shooting conditions when the wind lays down. Trees and grass are factors we look for downrange to determine speed and direction. The use of the Kestrel gives us spot on wind for our shooting position, which is our primary wind dope. our secondary wind dope is the last 1/3 of the distance. Besides grass and trees you have to look at the topography of the land like a river as a consideration in your dope also.
Once you get beyond 600 yards a known practice for LR hunters is to take a spotting shot above the animal or about 50 yards to the right or left of it. At this distance the the shot will not startle it (usually) and then if you need to correct dope you do so and then you know your dope is right on and you take the shot.
I have not used this process yet, but will use it without hesitation if the conditions or the distance require it.
The vertical is no longer the issue for the LR hunter as we can know for certain the drop, even when you are shooting at angles.
After Steve and I hunted in the mountains this past year we had some extra time so we went out East of Pueblo for some LR coyote hunting. i made a first shot connection on a yote right at 600 yards then missed by a hair on two occassions on yotes at just over 1,000 yards and then at 1,120 yards. on the one just over 1,100 yards Steve noticed the yote had a limp after I made the shot. neither yote gave me an opportunity for a second shot. After yote time was up we saw a PD over 1k and thought why not.
I made 2 or 3 shots (Steve, help me I can't remember for sure). Each one would have killed a deer antelope or elk. the last shot I made was so close we thought we hit the dog to the point we walked the whole way with XP and camera's to check-Nope, he got away. This was prone shooting with a BR bipod with my hunting loads.
Currently, under the right conditions (and w/ a spotting shot) I would be willing to go beyond 700 yards. there is some further improvements with the Wildcat bullets that will lessen the effects of the wind even more so. when this happens I will be a real happy camper.
My typical practice distance for "Puff' is 600 yards with typical groups in the 2.5-3" range (no wind flags & no spotting shots).
It sounds like you were set-up right with your handgun for elk. Good field rest(s) are a requirement for accurate shot placement when hunting.
We don't encourage people to shoot beyond their abilities, but we do promote the education process to increase hunters/shooters ability for LR shooting and or hunting with specialty handguns.
FWIW I still consider myself as NOT having arrived. It is a constant learning process which is both humbling and exciting.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Ernie] #20110 05/10/2007 3:51 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
Thank you Ernie! I appreciate your non defensive informative response.

Recoil

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20111 05/10/2007 4:03 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Your welcome.
I know this is a sensitive topic that can easily tap into a emotional response, besides not really understanding all the factors that goes into making LR shots consistently.
I haven't even touched about the overall quality of the SP, precision reloading, quality optics, reticles, etc.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Ernie] #20112 05/10/2007 4:07 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Quote:

I haven't even touched about the overall quality of the SP, precision reloading, quality optics, reticles, etc.

Ernie is exactly right...those subject alone can run a thread to multiple pages.

Reticles...don't even mention reticles if Steve is around...he gives me a headache!!

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Ernie] #20113 05/10/2007 4:09 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
Reaching out and touching something always gives me satisfation. Just another way to enjoy the shooting sports. Whatever floats your boat. Enjoy!

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20114 05/10/2007 4:27 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
For some of us long range is kind of a relative matter.
Got my 15" 450 Marlin (with 405gr Remington bullets)holdover dialed in pretty well to the point where clay birds are in serious trouble clear out to 170 yds. with just a bit of Kentuck windage (0 is 130) . Let's see now, for 200 yds I'll just dial in about 30 clicks of vertical into the 2-6 Bushnell, 225 will be about 40 clicks, 250 yds will be about 2 complete revolutions of the knob ....

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20115 05/10/2007 9:42 PM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
Dan, sometimes it gives me 1 too. Recoil, here is the system of reticle reference that i apply for long-range shooting-- www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf

For me i don't take shots at ranges beyond 500 yds. if wind is doing 10 mph or so, unless i'm hunting late season coyotes in a damage control capacity--then it's no hold's barred. So the ranchers tell me anyway. There's a writer for Varmint Hunter magazine name of John Antanies, and his work is some of the best i've ever seen in print, besides maybe Dean Michaelis who wrote the book, "...50 Caliber Sniper Course." You may be getting Varmint Hunter mag. If not and u're a varminteer u should be--it's the best technical magazine out there these days even surpassing Precision Shooting Publications, IMO. Look for the back issues with his articles in there. His articles collectively constitute a treatise of long-range shooting. He uses 1 mph windage for his reticle/turret calcs., and i 'm probably gonna change to that system of reference since it's easier to calculate variations on the theme.

I love to apply reticles in the field for long-range shooting. These days when i look thru a scope at the reticle i don't see a x-hair as much as i do a mathematical system for downrange vertical and HORIZONTAL zeroing, as well as rangefinding, be it simple plex, ballistic, and or ranging reticles.

BTW, where u at in CO?? I'm down here in Pueblo.

Steve
Re: LR Hunting [Re: sscoyote] #20116 05/11/2007 1:17 AM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
I live in Loveland. I have been a member of the Varmint Hunter's Association for 15 years. I have all of the issues since 1992. Great magazine.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20117 05/11/2007 3:04 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Steve and I used to live in Greeley, many moons ago.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Recoil] #20118 05/11/2007 3:16 AM
sscoyote Offline
addict
addict
Did a lot of PD shooting around Greeley years ago. I'm going to Ft. Collins on the 26th. Maybe catch up with u up north there. Here's my #--719-564-5609

Steve
Re: LR Hunting [Re: sscoyote] #20119 05/11/2007 1:22 PM
Recoil Offline
addict
addict
Thanks. I'll be closing on a new condo around that time. I'll wait and see what my schedule looks like. I may be moving. Still prairie dogs around here but there are lots of pooch huggers as well.

Re: LR Hunting [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #20120 05/12/2007 11:41 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Quote:

What is the longest 'big game' I.E. Deer sized or larger, shot successfully taken and what did you use?
I am really wondering about bullet performance and handgun velocities.
How about the smaller calibers?

Gerry,
Have we answered part or all of your questions from your orginal post?

The one area that may have not been touched is the "smaller caliber" question.
What calibers did you have in mind?
And with the smaller calibers are you talking deer or deer and elk sized animals?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: LR Hunting [Re: Ernie] #20121 05/21/2007 2:02 PM
Oldfart Offline
stranger
stranger
Howdy , Starting to get a few Colorado folks around these sites ,,,Ray , Aurora...
Small calibers ...?

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod