Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ready for some bear hunting! #20211 05/14/2007 9:49 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Well don't know that I am, but I think the gun is.

Had the 15" 450 Marlin out this morning with the Remington 405s @ 1650, & after I resighted the gun for a 130 yd -0-(just put on a bi-pod) & figured out my holdover I busted 2 clay birds in a row (All I had at that range to shoot at. Prone in the dirt with a small sandbag under my hands) @ 200 yds , & had no problem hitting them resting on the hood of the truck with the bipod & one sandbag from 100-170 yds. so that's the hunting load for next week.
Now just practice & no more playing with loads until after that, including messing with the 35 WAI. I wanted to have a 225 gr load worked up for the 35 & take it with me too, but I just don't have the time to divide between 2 guns, personal stuff, getting ready for the hunt, & work this week. So it will just be the 450. That's not bothering me too much
I'm a tag along on this hunt so I'll go where it takes me, but it sounds like we'll start next Monday hunting an area off the road system south of Talketna (Between Anchorage & Fairbanks, close to Anchorage). It's supposed to be a mixed with Brown & black bear area, but it sounds like the brownies are running the blacks out, so it may be just a day or two there if there aren't any blackies, & then over on over to the Valdez area for black bear. I'll have to head back by friday night. The 1st area is about a 250 mile one way drive for me, & the second a little over 400.
As I said, I'm a tag a long here. .358 Hammer is the head honcho, Shawn is along (7STDUBBERU), one other guy from the states (sorry, don't remember who right now!) & a couple of Alaska guys, all hunting with handguns. Neal & his wife will be heading up to the 1st area in a couple of days to do some scouting for the rest of us. They are catching the ferry over from Kodiak to the mainland this morning (about an 18 hr trip I thing, then will drive about 80 miles to my place for our 1st face to face meeting & lunch, then on to Anchorage.
The 1st area & most of the second has a 3 black bear limit along with one brown bear, while a small portion of the second area is one black bear.
The out of state guys are limited to black bear (brown bear is a with guide only thing here) thus the back up area (Valdez).
Will stretch my comfort zone a bit (I usually hunt alone, occassionaly with one close friend), but should be a blast.
Sorry for the long post, but I guess I'm beginning to get in the spirit of things. I've killed critters with a long gun & a bow, but this will hopefully be my 1st successful handgun hunt.
Yes, there will be pics!!!
(There MePlat, I'm keeping you informed )

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Ready for some bear hunting! [Re: Vance in AK.] #20212 05/14/2007 9:54 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Vance,
I have not doubt that Neal will make a great head honcho.
Sounds like a great time and I am glad to hear your rig is shooting good. Wish I could be up there with you guys.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Ready for some bear hunting! [Re: Ernie] #20213 05/14/2007 10:53 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I'd really like to make that work sometime Ernie (you coming up).
I know 200yd clay birds isn't exactly LR for you, but with this barrel I'm happy

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Ready for some bear hunting! [Re: Vance in AK.] #20214 05/15/2007 12:41 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Sounds like a blast! Y'all be safe and have fun, we'll await the synopsis (story ) Good luck, Rod.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Ready for some bear hunting! [Re: s4s4u] #20215 05/15/2007 2:15 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Sounds like a great time ahead. Good luck to all!! Get some pics for the after hunt post.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Ready for some bear hunting! [Re: Vance in AK.] #20216 05/15/2007 4:19 AM
tx44hunter Offline
You'll be in my thoughts & Prayers. Best of Luck and have fun!!!

Re: Ready for some bear hunting! [Re: Vance in AK.] #20217 05/15/2007 7:30 PM
nmhunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good luck to all of you and be SAFE!!!! I believe this is the hunt Doug (from PA) is going on as well. I hunted with him and another group last fall in WY, great hunter and gets real excited when hunting with the handguns, you all will have a blast. can't wait to here the stories and see some pictures.
nmhunter

Re: Ready for some bear hunting! [Re: nmhunter] #20218 05/15/2007 8:30 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I believe you are right, it is Doug.
Just met Neal & his wife Lisa for the first time about an hour ago as he came through here on the way to Anchorage. Nice to finally be able to put a handshake with the pictures & phone calls.
Starting to get in the hunt mode, but sure have a lot to do between now & then!

Vance in AK.

Re: Ready for some bear hunting! [Re: Vance in AK.] #20219 05/16/2007 11:50 AM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
Good luck Vance. I know how much you've looked forward to the trip. It sounds like you're prepared and ready to go. Be safe and have fun.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod