Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help with Encore purchase #20675 07/20/2007 2:36 AM
445 supermag Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Ok guys, I need some input here. I have always been a traditional handgun hunter in that I believe that true handgun hunting is done with a revolver be it a 5 shot or 6 shot and always believed that encore is a hand rifle in that most shoot rifle calibers in it to not be a hand gun. Hey its just my opinion here. But I have been doing away with my rifles and getting handguns. The rifles are loosing its luster to me and find it so much more rewarding with my bows or black powder and handguns being in the field. I just sold off a 338 win mag and 7mm rem mag. As my handle says I love my 445 supermag Dan wesson and my soon to me 475 linebaugh and 500 linebaugh well in about 6 months they will be mine.

Opps sorry for the rant here but now as I live in nj YOU have to apply for a pistol permit and I will have 3 coming within the next 3 to 4 weeks. and two of them will be the 475 and 500 linebaughs. So the last permit is drawing me towards an Encore and I can't talk my self out of it. You guys make it hard to resist here. S0 I am thinking that this will end my rifles for good if I got one of these hand rifles that can shoot 300 yards and cleanly take game. Most of my hunting will be deer black bear and hogs. and I am thinking of a Encore in 284 win. Or possibly should I get one of these custome barrels. I am an accuracy freak and The one reason I am choosing an Encore. For me If my revolvers can't shoot a 3 inch group at 100 its not worth the space in my collection. this is for my scoped guns.

So should I go for a standard off the shelf barrel or get a custom one from the many makers. Let me in on the calibers you all like the best.

Thanks and sorry for being so long winded.

Oh and I am guessing that the custom barrel will be much more accurate than the standard ones RIGHT???

Brian

Re: Help with Encore purchase [Re: 445 supermag] #20676 07/20/2007 3:12 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Most of my factory barrels are accurate, not benchrest quality, but more than accurate for hunting. The 223 barrel I have is a tack driver. 5 shots in less than an inch all day long. I got that barrel used for less than a third the price of a custom barrel.

Deer & bear, 7mm and up will work fine. The 284 is a lot of case capacity for a 15" barrel, the 7mm-08 might a more efficent choice.

Not sure I have a favorite barrel, but I did have a loaner from OTT in 445 super mag and it was a hoot to shoot. A rechambered factory 44 with the OTT shark gill break. I was getting 2,000 fps with 240gr pills. Here's an unlucky charlie that fell to the 445.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Help with Encore purchase [Re: Tigger] #20677 07/20/2007 3:58 AM
445 supermag Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks Tigger for your assistance. I was thinking about the 7mm08 too. But I am thinking about a custom job on maybe one of the SSK industries. So who knows but I am sure it will be a hand rifle.

You guys got to me. HAHA

Brian

Re: Help with Encore purchase [Re: 445 supermag] #20678 07/20/2007 4:14 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Why an Encore. I find a centergrip more pistoly with longer barrels, even though they can reach out there. They just plain handle better.

Competitor in .308 Winny \:\)

XP in .284 WInny

If you wanna go "custom" there are many ways, whatever you decide have fun with it ;\)

Last edited by s4s4u; 07/20/2007 4:19 AM.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod