Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Im A Texan Now!!! #21214 09/06/2007 10:05 PM
hntrjohn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hey everyone, Ive been gone a while. Been doin some traveling and have set roots down here in Texas. Dont ask me why cause its hotter than blazes here. Ive been wanting to get out for some Dove hunting but its been raining so much since I got here and when its not raining its so hot and humid you cant breath. Hopfully it'll cool down soon and I get get out on some Texas Hogs. Any Texans on the forum that want to give me some tips of where to look for good hunting areas feel free. Im in The Piney Woods of East Texas. Great to be back to the forum, guess I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

Re: Im A Texan Now!!! [Re: hntrjohn] #21215 09/06/2007 10:40 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
First, I don’t know were in East Texas you are, however, I do know that there a lot of GOOD public hunting places in Texas for pigs. Some of it is, mostly near bodies of water, bow only. But there are quite a few places, like Cado National Grass Lands, that have general seasons for firearms.

Second, When I was going to College in Commerce, I literally went and knocked on a couple of doors and just started talking. After Introducing myself and having a sort conversation, I wood ask them if they were having any hog problems. 95% of the time they wood let me hunt on their land for free. Their only request was for me to shoot as may hogs as I could.

Third, talk to the Game Wardens in the area, especially in a public hunting lands county. When volunteering your services for shoot hogs, they can and usually will help.

If need some help deciphering my conglomeration, E-mail me at duane_ddh@yahoo.com, I might be able to help if I know were you are.

Duane

Re: Im A Texan Now!!! [Re: hntrjohn] #21217 09/07/2007 12:21 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Welcome back John! Whatever took you down thataway. There be a physical AND cultural shock. Good luck in your pursuits.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Im A Texan Now!!! [Re: s4s4u] #21220 09/07/2007 9:22 AM
Spencer Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Your gonna miss the New York winters \:\)

NRA life member
Let's go make some memories
Re: Im A Texan Now!!! [Re: Spencer] #21222 09/07/2007 4:44 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sorry to hear that hntrjohn \:\( ("I'm a Texan now").
ButI guess everybody has to be somewhere.
Just kidding. It's a nice little state. Kinda crowded & small, but nice all the same ;\)

Last edited by Vance in AK.; 09/07/2007 4:51 PM.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Im A Texan Now!!! [Re: Vance in AK.] #21223 09/07/2007 6:04 PM
lance Offline
journeyman
journeyman
What part of Texas? I just moved to North-East Texas (Tyler area) and would like someone to shoot / hunt with. There are a lot of public hunting areas around here if you are in the area.

Re: Im A Texan Now!!! [Re: lance] #21231 09/08/2007 1:32 AM
hntrjohn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the replies everyone, I moved here on a wing and a prayer cause Im going through one of those separation things (AGAIN) although she keeps saying its old age male menopause. I said its more like PMS (Primitive Man Syndrome) So far so good here though. At least my NY permit is honored here so Im in no hurry to get a Texas permit.

Hey Lance, Im in Quitman about 35 miles from Tyler. Was just there today at a gun shop and Gander Mtn. Give me a shout anytime you want to get together and do some shootin. My Dad is director of a gun club here and they have a nice pistol, rifle, trap and skeet thing going. Already got permission from the land owner of the club to shoot pigs there. Anyway, glad to be back finally. Hope I didnt miss much.
P.S. HEY GARY---Wheres my Magazine???

Re: Im A Texan Now!!! [Re: hntrjohn] #21258 09/10/2007 12:06 AM
lance Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Well, I shoot at the east texas rifle and pistol club http://www.etrpc.com it is just south of longview. And I live in pittsburg. I shoot just about every weekend. So how about saturday morning? I don't guess I know of the gun club you are talking about, maybe it would be closer to my house The club I go to is an hour dive each way \:\( Let me know, and I would be up for a pig hunt to!!

Re: Im A Texan Now!!! [Re: lance] #21331 09/15/2007 7:51 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
hntrjohn, good luck in TX. With all the NY BS gun laws I don't blame you for moving. The east TX area is nice. I have been there several times. This spring I was in Franklin TX 5 times. It's just west of the piney woods where the grass lands start. Awesome area with lots of cattle ranches and oil wells. Good luck with the heat, I can't take the 90+ temps when I'm down there. After a while your blood should thin out and the heat will not bother so much.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod