Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Advice With Revolvers #21279 09/13/2007 12:38 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
This is for all of the revolver shooters out there.

I have been hunting with a pistol of and on for awhile. As my user name might indicate, I am familiar with single shot pistols. I even have a couple of custom 54 flintlock pistols from Ken Netting. However, I don’t know a thing about revolvers. This is where I respectfully request help.

I have a 22 Hornet, 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, and 7mm-08 Rem in pistols. I can handle them without a problem. I had a 270 Win and it was too much. I got to the point that I was afraid of it and traded it off. I have shot a 500 S&W and didn’t have any problems.

That being said, I have been interested in a revolver for some time and I am basically trying to do my homework. I was looking at the “454 Casull - 460 S&W” to the “475 Linbaugh and the 500 S&W” range. I am also just as interested about the revolvers they go in themselves. However, I am more than open to feed back to any cartridge/firearm. I have a lot more experience with bottlenecks than I do straight walls.

I am a little bit familiar with the “western style vs. the modern style” IE, Freedom Arms vs. S&W, of revolvers. But I only know enough to get in trouble. My basic concept is the way, or direction, the recoil of the firearm produces energy. Nonetheless, dose one revolver recover quicker than the other, or with a caliber of this magnitude, dose it really mater? In that case, which one is more comfortable or easier to shoot?

I would be using this firearm for mainly hunt deer and pigs. Although I think I would still shoot a rabbit with it if I had the chance. Advice or wisdom that anyone could give me on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: TCTex.] #21282 09/13/2007 3:56 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well Duane, I think you may have answered your own question.
Unless you can try out the different styles (single action = "western style" while double action = "modern style") in the calibers you are looking for then stick with what you know works for you.
You said you shot a 500 Smith (I assume it was in the S&W revolver) with no problem so go with hat platform. Then the question becomes caliber choice. 460 or 500. 460 shoots flatter & will be cheaper to reload (due to bullet cost) along with availability of cheap & low recoiling practice ammo (45 colt) if you don't reload, so for your critters that would probably be my choice.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: Vance in AK.] #21283 09/13/2007 5:16 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I do reload, so that is a consideration. One of my questions is basically this. Which style of revolver is more comfortable to shoot? IE, The Freedom Arms 454 Vs. the S&W 460. From my understanding they booth shoot well. I am learning that people have their preferences, and choose one over the other. Is it solely because of looks or is it because someone’s father always shot a S&W and that’s what they were going to buy. Or is it because the case life of one cartage is better than the other. Or, is one cartage more accurate than the other. And I also know that each cartage will shoot differently in different firearms. Would someone recommend one firearm over another in the same caliber and why. Is one cartage easier to load than the other? I have noticed that both Ruger and Freedom Arms make a 454 Casull. But there is also a price range difference between the two.

I have noticed that there are a couple on the form that like hunting with revolvers. I was trying to find out why they picked the revolver they did. Did they decide because one was more comfortable to shoot than the other or was it because someone offered to them at a price they did not want to pass up. I was figuring that if there was anyone that could give me their hands on experience of handgun shooting, it would be here.

I am learning that calibers are preferences. To each their own. But I do know that there are certain brands of rifles that I would pick over another. With pistols my experience is limited. I have never shot a 454Casull or 445 Super Mag. Much less compare them to a 500 S&W. in a S&W pistol. In short I know just enough to get in trouble with the subject.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: TCTex.] #21284 09/13/2007 7:02 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I don't think you'll find any difference in the reloading difficulty between the 460 & 500 (just cost difference. I don't believe there are ANY cheap .50 plinking bullets while cheap .45 plinking bullets are fairly easy to come by).
The difference in the way the two guns recoil (the single action tends to "roll" in the hand) is noticable, & there are lovers on each side. That's why I said that unless you can try a single action with heavy loads you might want to stick with what you know feels good to you (the S&W you already tried).
As far as quality, S&W & Ruger both build quality stuff, as does FA.
Again, personal preference.....

Last edited by Vance in AK.; 09/13/2007 7:03 PM.

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: Vance in AK.] #21285 09/13/2007 7:45 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If your primary use for a revolver is to hunt deer and pigs, I believe you should consider the .44 or even the .41 Magnum. Both calibers are more than adequate for game that size.
If the recoil of an Encore in .270 Win. bothered you, then a FA .475 L or .500 WE probably will also. The X frame .500 S&W ( or .460 ) is a heavy bugger, and that weight helps moderate recoil. It's also the case that many loads fired thrugh .500 S&W's are far below full strength. A 440 @ 1600 fps may feel different to you.
I own and have hunted with a number of single-shot pistols (Contender, Encore, RPM, and XP) as well as revolvers (Smith, DW, FA and Ruger)
In my judgement the FA sits at the top of the revolver heap, and I prefer them, but Smith builds a nicely refined revolver, particularly in the N frames, and Ruger builds its Redhawks, Blackhawks and Supers to a level of accuracy and strength that are all anyone really needs in the hunting fields.
I suggest that you handle as many models as you can, to help you decide. You'll also want to decide if you'll scope it or stay with irons, because that answer can help steer you to a particular model.
Once again, I own 'em and use 'em, but the .454's, .475's, and .500's aren't necessary for deer and hogs. Now if you just WANT one, that's another matter....

Last edited by 500WE; 09/13/2007 7:54 PM.
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: 500WE] #21286 09/13/2007 8:16 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
500WE is giving you some good advice.
I live in Alaska & use a S&W mod. 29 in 44 mag as my hunting revolver for moose (80% carry an Encore in 450 Marlin) or black bear. I use 300 or 320gr hardcast bullets & don't feel undergunned at reasonable ranges (75 yds & under, 100 yds with a perfect shot).
That said, I'm in the market for a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger, but ONLY because I've felt a tad undergunned looking at 10'+ coastal brown bear in a bad mood at under 20 yds at my black bear bait!
I Louisana I'd be more than happy with the .44 mag (or .41 mag) & they are much cheaper to attain & feed.

Vance in AK.

Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: Vance in AK.] #21288 09/13/2007 9:40 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Wow! Y’all are awesome. That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I am going to cut and past this info for further use. Thanks for the help.

As for scope, I have been inquiring and have been advised to use a Burris on the handgun. It came highly recommended.

As for the 500 S&W ammo, It was Winchester Supreme. I don’t know if that helps or not.

Duane

Louisiana is not a bad state, However, my permanent address, as far as the Navy is concerned, is in Texas. Ironically, That is were I will be doing most of my hunting.

Last edited by TCMan; 09/14/2007 12:13 AM.

Benjamin Franklin
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: TCTex.] #21290 09/13/2007 10:48 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
On my hunting revolver I have an "UltraDot 4" red dot sight with 30mm tube.
It has 4 different dot sizes & 9 brightness settings. With that combination I've always been happy in most any condition. At revolver ranges quick sight aqusition is more important to me than magnification.
Going through thick brush heading into the aforementioned bear bait station I had the dot size cranked up to 12 or 16 moa (don't remember for sure) & when the brownie popped out at close range that large dot was super fast & easy to find.
The 4moa dot is nice for finer work.
Just my .02

Vance in AK.

Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: Vance in AK.] #21291 09/13/2007 11:08 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Duane,
Did`ent I tell you we had a great and knowledgeable bunch of handgunners in our group.You can`t buy the experience these guy`s have.They have helped answer a couple of questions I had and one thing I found out is that even with 33 years of shooting
under my belt....I don`t know everything. James

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: jamesfromjersey] #21292 09/13/2007 11:41 PM
lance Offline
journeyman
journeyman
If you are interested, I have a 460 that I am considering selling. I have all the reloading dies (LEE) some cases (I think 100) an over the shoulder holster from S&W and an extra front sight insert. I will have to figure up a price, which will be reasonable. The gun shoots great, but the recoil is a little much (for me) and I really don't need that kind of power. In my experience the 460 kicks a lot less than the 500. Let me know if you are interested.

Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: TCTex.] #21297 09/14/2007 2:20 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I prefer the Ruger Bisley S/A revolvers for hunting. The Bisley grip style just feels better in the hand IMO. I have a .41, .357, .45, and .22/22 Mag and am having a .480 built on a Ruger frame and will consider that all that is necessary for hunting any big game I will confront. I had mused the .475 Linebaugh but don't want a brake on this, and that is a handful without one. The big Smiths are just that, BIG, and overkill for most hunting. The Bisleys handle beautifully and are pleasant to carry. If I need more thump I'll just grab the 45/70 'Tender, and carry the .480 for backup. Don't get a big gun just 'cause it's big, get something you can enjoy shooting as well.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: lance] #21310 09/14/2007 9:45 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
TC Man,
A Burris is fine. A 2X or 4X Leupold is shorter and lighter, and is my personal preference on a revolver. I also use the occasional Ultra Dot, which is lighter and shorter still, and works pretty well on hogs or treed mtn. lions, etc.

Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: 500WE] #21311 09/14/2007 11:02 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I am leaning towards a small variable Burris. I looked at one at the local gun store and really liked it. It was easy to “throw up” and look threw. But definitely low power. Ironically, my Dad has a Red Dot Scope on his 22L. I just prefer the cross hairs. As for Leupold they are nice, but twice the price of Burris and not in the beget at the current time.

Benjamin Franklin
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: TCTex.] #21333 09/15/2007 8:50 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
TCMan, I echo the thoughts of 500WE. The 44 is really hard to beat for critters up to the most dangerous. Almost every company that makes revolvers chambers for the 44, so the choices are many. I prefer the double action grip over the single actions (hog leg) grip. I have 3 44's The one I shoot the most is a Ruger Super Redhawk. The gun is heavy enough to tame recoil from the heavy loads, handles and points well. It has a built in scope mount and comes with rings. This is a great feature as some revolvers can be hard and expensive to mount a scope.

Scopes, most of my revolvers are open sighted. The few that wear scopes have 2 or 4 power Leupolds on top. The 4X takes a little practice for quick target aquisition (sp). I have found that keeping both eyes open helps greatly. Your dominate eye will take over and it's just like closing the other.

Here's a pic of the SRH and a harvested charlie.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: lance] #21366 09/18/2007 8:45 PM
454Casull Offline
TC, the new Smiths are BIG guns. The extra mass helps their shootability. I have a model 29 and two FA454's. The Casulls are far more accurate than my Smith and have the extra mustard if I need it. I'm strictly a white tail hunter for now and neither gun properly loaded is lacking. I'm a bit of a hotrodder though, and love to wring out every FPS I can within my self imposed accuracy standards; if the load doesn't trend towards clover leaves I look elsewhere. The FA guns are well designed as is and the recoil is more than manageable w/300gr@1800fps. I love the look and feel of the old N frame guns but they need good grips. I never got used to the Rugers but they are fine weapons too. Whatever feels best in your hand is the gun you will shoot the best. Save some $$$ for some trigger work as well, it makes a world of difference.

Last edited by 454Casull; 09/18/2007 8:46 PM.
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: Tigger] #21374 09/19/2007 2:39 AM
Carolina Mtn Man Offline
I would like to throw in my vote for the 460. I have a Contender 44mag which I have harvested a number of whitetails, but I always limited my shots to 100 yds. I think after that point you start lobbing the bullets to the animal. I've also have encores in 7mm-08 and 308 which I've enjoyed. However I moved to Oregon and decided I wanted a little more oomph for Elk, so I decided on the 460. To me it is quite the versatile revolver. 200gr 460's which reach out to 200 yds for a deer with plenty of knock-down power. 300gr 460's will take down the most beligerant elk and would be good for bear or just about anything else. You can also shoot 454 Casulls and 45 Colts on the range or for deer, varments, etc. To me, that is extreme versatility. You hunt deer and hogs now, but what about that elk, moose or bear hunt which may become available. You'll be set with the 460. It is also quite manageable. I have a XVR from the Performance Center and it is really sweet. It gives you more of a push than a kick and the trigger needs no help. I have a 2.8-8x Leupold on it but would top it with a Leupold 4X if I had to do it again.
Really, I do not work for S&W and swore off of them for a number of years, but when I looked around for a versatile high quality revolver to hunt with, in my book the 460 has no equal. Good luck with you decision.

May the Sun be at your back, the Wind in your face, and the Trophy in your Crosshairs!
Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: lance] #21389 09/19/2007 10:08 PM
yow25 Offline
stranger
stranger
TCMAN
your getting great advice. I asked that question last year on this forum and ended up getting a ruger superblack hawk hunter in 44 mag. it comes with rings. its all i'll ever need for deer and pigs. and it dont cost much to feed

Re: Advice With Revolvers [Re: yow25] #21395 09/20/2007 12:50 AM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Thanks for all the help. As James put it, "...we have a great and knowledgeable bunch of handgunners in our group. You can`t buy the experience these guy`s have." I know one thing, I am at least going to buy a 44mag barrel for my TC.

Duane

Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod