Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
460 Sling #21539 09/29/2007 3:53 AM
Carolina Mtn Man Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Guys,
I have a S&W 460 XVR and placed a pistol sling on it to help stabilize the pistol to tighten up my groups. The sling worked well except I found that after only about 6 shots, the flash between the cylinder and barrel literally cut the webbing in two. At first I thought I had a defective sling but it occurred twice.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how a sling can be used on a revolver in this manner?

Thanks for the help.

May the Sun be at your back, the Wind in your face, and the Trophy in your Crosshairs!
Re: 460 Sling [Re: Carolina Mtn Man] #21542 09/29/2007 1:48 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
A lot of the slings on the market are a polyester mix. They melt. The problem you have is going to wear on any sling you put on there. A leather sling might do better. You might be able to use an old belt. I wouldn’t say it if I haven’t done it. I would also save shooting with a sling for practical applications, hunting situations. Just my 2 cents. Maybe some else has better advice.

Daune

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: 460 Sling [Re: TCTex.] #21548 09/29/2007 11:35 PM
OP Offline
Thanks TC. I'll give the belt a try. The only problem with using it only in hunting situations is that the sling does change the point of impact, so unless I can figure out how to compensate for the difference even range shooting will be difficult without the sling. Oh well, belts are cheap (actually much cheaper than the slings I've been getting).

Good shooting.

May the Sun be at your back, the Wind in your face, and the Trophy in your Crosshairs!
Re: 460 Sling [Re: Carolina Mtn Man] #21554 09/30/2007 12:46 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Is there any way you can wrap the sling around you wrist to keep it away from the barrel cylinder gap area? Or maybe down around the bottom of the frame?

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: 460 Sling [Re: Tigger] #21583 09/30/2007 4:59 PM
OP Offline
Yeah, I used the sling as an anchor point so it invariably sat close to the gap. I will prabably stop using it as such and the problem will become moot.

Thanks for your help.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod