Next Thread
Print Thread
My XP, it no go booooom! #21821 10/25/2007 2:42 PM
huntkng Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Hello group,

I have an XP that has just been giving me fits. I fired 100 + rounds in preperation for the OR State IHMSA Shoot here in Bend, OR. I got to the line and on the first round that I chambered...bang, accidental discharge. It fired with the gun barrel in the air (a good reminder to always know where your muzzle is pointing) and as I closed (not slammed) the bolt on the round. My spotter was watching me and my finger was lying along side the trigger guard. It had done this once before about 3-400 rounds ago, same scenario but in the middle of a match. I had a local member fix it both times, looked like a trigger screw coming lose or stock contact with the triggers moving parts. We routed out the stock and loc-tited the screws. Today I get to the range and get off two rounds and no more. Every firing pin hit after those two is a light primer hit and no bang. This is also a gun I use for hunting (good thing I have more in the safe, huh?)

This time when the trigger is pulled the bolt handle rises maybe 3/8" as the firing pin moves forward. I pulled the bolt apart and flushed it out, moved the action to a different stock, checked for any stock contact with trigger linkage or bolt, made sure all the drift pins were in place and everything is tight. Nada, no bang.

Here is what I did notice; If I held the bolt handle down hard and pulled the trigger (empty of course) the firing pin would fall part way and as soon as I released pressure on the bolt the firing pin finished its forward travel. It was like it had two steps?? This is the stock trigger and linkage. It has recently been rebarreled to 30 IHMSA (a blown out 300 Savage) and all the brass has been fired at least twice. The first AD was when it was a 7BR, so it was having issues before it was rebarrel to 30 IHMSA. I was planning on upgrading to an aftermarket trigger assembly. I shoot a lot so this gun has had some use, maybe 3000 + rounds and it was used when I got it.

Any ideas on what is happening here? Who would you guys suggest to work on it?

Thanks!
Bill

Re: My XP, it no go booooom! [Re: huntkng] #21831 10/27/2007 3:14 AM
XP_Nut Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sounds to me like your triger/sear is out of time/adjustment. I would take it out of the stock and play with the screws some to see if that helps.

One Good Shot...Is All I Need.
Re: My XP, it no go booooom! [Re: XP_Nut] #21832 10/27/2007 5:50 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I'm not sure what you have going on but I know the joy you feel when it does, I've had two ruger 77s (old model) one in 7mm rem and one in 243 both did the same as your xp but it was a one time event so far with both guns. isn't it a warm a fuzzy feeling when they discharge unexpectedly.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: My XP, it no go booooom! [Re: wapitirod] #21842 10/27/2007 6:25 PM
huntkng Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
It scared the poo-poo outta me. Sure make me a little timid to close the bolt again!!

What do you guys / gals know about Dewey Triggers? BaseX trigers?

Who would you suggest I send this XP off to for some work??

Thanks!!
Bill

Re: My XP, it no go booooom! [Re: huntkng] #21847 10/28/2007 12:15 AM
Gascheck Offline
huntkng,

It sounds to me like the previous owner might have had the trigger and sear worked on to reduce trigger pull prior to getting to you. At the time it was done it may have been safe but now it sounds as though there is not enough engagement left to be safe. You mentioned high round count and triggers do wear with use. I have a remington 725 rifle in 222 rem. that I had the same experience with. Previous owner had trigger pull reduced by friend then proceeded to give it some heavy usage.
When I aquired the rifle the pull weight was measurable in ounces rather than pounds and AD were alarmingly frequent. A trip to a good gunsmith confirmed my suspisions. A new trigger and sear were necessary to produce a safe trigger. My advice,
don't use the pistol till you get the trigger fixed.

Re: My XP, it no go booooom! [Re: Gascheck] #21863 10/29/2007 3:05 PM
huntkng Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Great advice. It is sitting in the safe until I can get it back working safely.

Bill

Re: My XP, it no go booooom! [Re: huntkng] #21864 10/29/2007 3:10 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
From what little experience I have with gun smiting, if you can’t firmly shut the bolt without it setting of the firing pin, something’s wrong. I thing the advice you are getting from the other posters is right on!

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: My XP, it no go booooom! [Re: TCTex.] #21869 10/29/2007 9:52 PM
XP_Nut Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The site below is how I adjusted my XP-100R. This may give you an idea on how to fix your problem. I am 100% sure it is your adjustment! If you don't want that XP I'll take it off your hands....LOL

http://www.theoutdoorwriter.com/shooting/r700_trigger.htm

One Good Shot...Is All I Need.
Re: My XP, it no go booooom! [Re: XP_Nut] #21870 10/30/2007 12:03 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That is the exact same web sit I used to do my Remington 700 trigger! If you read it, it might help you with your problem. It at least might help you figure out or solidify your problem.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: My XP, it no go booooom! [Re: TCTex.] #21895 10/30/2007 3:12 PM
huntkng Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Great info!! Thanks guys.

Bill

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 108 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod