Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Time for a custom barrel #22910 12/09/2007 2:18 PM
Rick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
It is time for a custom barrel for the Contender. I am looking for input on the caliber. I have narrowed it down to 309JDJ, 358JDJ using my 35 rem, 338JDJ#2 or 375JDJ. The primary use will be whitetails, but the opportunity to hunt elk and mule deer is forth coming.
I am looking for recoil comparisons to a heavily loaded 44Mag in a Super Blackhawk. I have shot the 35 with 180gr SSP bullets with no problems. What is the effective range of each for elk? I realize that depends heavily on my ability to make a killing shot.
Dan, I have read your 338JDJ#2 article again and am wondering if you are still as impressed with the 338JDJ now as you were then?
I know the Encore has more rifle calibers available, but I cannot get a comfortable grip on the Encore so that rules them out.
Thanks in advance for the input.
Rick

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Rick] #22912 12/09/2007 2:35 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Rick...I still LOVE the .338JDJ#2. I have two loads....180gr NBT (until my supply runs out...Nosler discontinued them) and the other load is with the 225gr Hornady Interlock. I like the NBT's for their devastating performance on deer to near 300yds. Simply awesome!! The 225's also work great on deer...never used them on anything bigger. My friend did use a 225gr Northfork Tech bonded core bullet in the .338#2 and dropped a nice elk at less than 100yds. He paid dearly for those bullets!! I'd probably try a Hornady Interbond or Nosler AB in 225gr.

I'd choose the .338" over a .358" simply due to the ballistics. The .338" bullets are available in the same weights as .358" but have a higher BC and SD per each bullet weight.

Max range...really depends. 250yds for sure, maybe 300 if a prime opportunity is presented.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Dan B.] #22913 12/09/2007 2:43 PM
Rick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Dan, Thanks. What is the recoil like? I am not recoil sensative, but would like an idea of what to expect. I can handle 320's out the super blackhawk.
Thanks again.

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Rick] #22920 12/09/2007 5:56 PM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
Rick, I will second the 338JDJ#2. Check out the thread on here "Last Day, Last Hour w/338JDJ#2".
I have the 309JDJ, 338JDJ#2, 375JDJ and the 338JDJ#2 is my favorite for here in Oklahoma, Colorado, Wyoming and TX hunting.
I got the 309JDJ first and was amazed by it long range killing power. Took several whitetail out to 300yds with it. All were bang/flop. Came on a deal for the 375JDJ and got it from a guy in Alaska. Very good round, accurate and easy to shoot. Then I came on to the 338JDJ#2. The 338 is the only one I have a break on because it came with it. All three are managable with out the break. If it were me, to do all over again, I would go with the 338JDJ#2 or the 338-06 in an Encore and that would be my go to gun for everything but maybe prairie dogs.
I just got a 6.5JDJ which is a 6.5x225 Winchester. It is a fine round also but lacks power when you start hunting the larger game. There are so many choices in bullets out there now in 338 and my 338 is spoiled to Varget powder. It will shoot with other but just not as good. If you do make the jump. Get the SSK Krome, TSOB mount and if you want a break, don't go with the magnaport. Get a good break you can remove if you want. Magna Break is what I have on mine but I think the Defensive Edge break or the Vias is some of the best.
Good luck with your choice and keep us informed.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Hawkeye] #22924 12/09/2007 8:19 PM
Subsciber Offline
Been out loading fire-forming loads for my 338-06 and just came in and picked up your thread. Rick, if it were me I'd spend the money on a SSK barrel instead of a rechamber. Why, well if you ever decided to get out of handgunning or wanted to sell it to fund another project SSK barrels are more recognized and seem to hold their value better. Dan knows his stuff about the 338, its a great caliber. I have all the calibers you mentioned even the 358. Actually, I have 24 SSK barrels in nearly every caliber of the JDJ series, only need the 226,6mm#2, 8mm, and 9.3 to have them all. Hawkeye gives some soild information and I can see why he favors the 338 as it has performed flawlessly on everything I've shot with it. Better bullets are now available for the 338 JDJ than when it was first developed. Given your original question and target criteria I would choose the 309 JDJ with SSK's Arrestor muzzle brake. The reasons, you are going to shoot a lot more deer than elk, excellent bullets are available at lower cost including premium bullets to shoot elk, e.g. Speer GS, Nosler Partion. Recoil with the brake is more like a 357mag. I have 2 barrels one with the brake and the other MNP'ed. There is a great deal of difference between the two. If you watch your shooting, and most handgunners are not too excitable, don't take bad angle shots on the elk you will be just fine. My hunting companion has killed a few elk with his 309. He has rheumatoid arthritis and can't shoot the hard kickers. In 1994 we went elk hunting in CO and opening morning I killed an elk with my 375 JDJ and it walked 25 steps after I shot it. There was a herd that crossed that meadow each day so the next morning he went and sat under the same tree I was under(his butt print was actually in mine from the previos day) and shot an elk that walked 35 steps after being hit. He used 165 GS, mine was shot with 270 hornadys. I have killed pretty much the same number of animals with each caliber and think over-all you would be more pleased with the 309. Ultimately the final decision will be yours but recoil in any of the calibers you mentioned will be less than the SBH with 320's pushed to max velocity. Hope this helps and if you want to ask or discuss anything further just let me know.

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Rick] #22935 12/10/2007 12:27 AM
Rafe Covington Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I would recommend the 375 JDJ myself, I have one and like it alot, should the need arise you can hunt animal in the world. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Shootin

You can run but you die tired.
Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Rafe Covington] #22941 12/10/2007 1:33 AM
Rick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks for the information guys. Planned on putting the TSOB mount. I am not a fan of muzzle breaks. My hunting buddy has a break on his 375 Win barrel. Standing anywhere around when he drops the hammer and you are picking up your hat. It is like anything else, practice, practice, practice. Builds confidence, accuracy and lets you learn you gun/barrel combination.
Thanks angain for the information.
Rick

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Rick] #22944 12/10/2007 2:41 AM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
If you already have the barrel I vote for a rechamber by SSK to the 358 JDJ. I had one, took CA pigs and then went off to AK where I took a 60" Bull Moose. You can find a greater selection of bullets, fire more practice rounds out of it using readily available cast bullets and use either handgun bullets or rifle bullets depending on the game being hunted. It is hard to beat a .35 cal for versatility. I shot out to 200 yards with it. My 30 Bower AK is my primary big game caliber now and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on anything up to elk. But, if I was looking at an out of state bear, elk or moose with my contender I’d run out and build a 358 JDJ again!

Hope this helps.

Bill

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: huntkng] #22954 12/10/2007 5:19 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i'd have a hard time choosing between 358 n 338 JDJ's. the .358's do have a lot of bullet choices available when you consider .357" pistol bullets for "play". i have a lot of .358" bullets on hand, so that may have bearing. out to 200yrds BC wouldn't really matter much on anything i'd ever hunt.

for deer....my 35rem does all i could ask. elk is a kicker though. i'd be a lil skeered. the 300mag or 7-08 encore here could pick that up though....so i'm good fer now. 35rem 180's at 2150+ fps bite pretty good with a walnut grip. i think i'd use a rubber with a big 338 or 358....lol.

Last edited by KYODE; 12/10/2007 5:21 AM.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: KYODE] #22958 12/10/2007 11:48 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'd select the .338 JDJ NO. 2 in an SSK barrel. My experience with mine has been outstanding. Others haven't mentioned it, but the 200 gr. Hornady spire point is an excellent selection for that cartridge.

Last edited by 500WE; 12/10/2007 11:49 AM.
Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: 500WE] #22974 12/10/2007 6:04 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm going to jump on the "play" bullet comment...but just a little. No harm meant...just another opinion.

Being a Contender nut...as many of you are here also...I have two .22LR barrels...and use them EXTENSIVELY!! They are scoped and wear grips very similar to my hunting guns. I use the .22's for practice. But when I'm practicing with my big game hunting guns...I shoot big game hunting loads! I don't do "light loads" in any of my big game hunting guns. I do have various loads for various bullet weights but they are all loaded to the gills!!

Why use "pistol bullets" in rifle cartridge handguns? They won't hit to the same point of impact as hunting loads at any range other than a determine zero point. EDIT...which is OK for benchtime and only if you shoot from the bench...but I do load development, zero the combo then get to shoot field positions. The recoil will also be different which may affect how you hold the gun when shooting field positions (EDIT OVER) I practice from 25yds to the maximum effective range of the cartridge (or myself...which ever is closer). I know my hold overs and wind drift...and this is not just for longrange guns. It applies to all hunting guns that can shoot to 300yds....which is what we are talking about here...JDJ Handcannons!

If you want a cannon...then buy a CANNON! If you want to play, get a .22LR. They can be had for $150 and less...that's only about maybe 6 boxes of larger caliber bullets.

Last edited by Dan B.; 12/10/2007 6:27 PM. Reason: I must be cranky today!

ISPBS--Expert Level

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Dan B.] #22975 12/10/2007 6:13 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I tried some of the "play" bullets in my 35 Rem for shooting the steel gongs at winter league. They worked great, didn't group bad either on paper. Bullet was a 158gr Rem SJHP. Sure was cheaper than the 180gr Hornady SSP.

But like you Dan when it came to hunting, the 180gr SSP was loaded, tested and used. \:\) It sure does tear up the charlies.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Dan B.] #22977 12/10/2007 8:06 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
does make a small amount of sense dan the main gun i'm huntin with is set up n ready to go with heavy loads, n not in "play" mode.
BUT.....i have a few 22lr's too, plus a bunch of other guns, deer or varmint. you can't hunt with all of em at once. at times i may want to just shoot the 35rem for funsie target "play" n hunt with sumthin else....and you can just about bet playtime wouldn't be with $23+ a box 180gr hornady ssp's! nope....save them fer huntin or gettin ready. ;\) i've fireformed all my cases in the 35 rimmed with 158gr pistol bullets. great fun, accurate, less expense and recoil....good fer "play".

the older i get, the less interest i have in killin deer. one day ALL i do may be "play". versatility in lottsa bullet choices is good for target shootin, which i enjoy about as much as hunting. lottsa good reasons to shoot .357" pistol bullets, and we havn't even mentioned sillywet yet.

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: KYODE] #22983 12/10/2007 11:39 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Rick
The primary use will be whitetails, but the opportunity to hunt elk and mule deer is forth coming.

I thought we were just talking about hunting...not steel. When getting down to it...if you want to do that use a .357 Mag or Max and have cheaper brass, bullets and less powder...and carbide dies to save time.

I'm all for multi-purpose if you don't have the means to buy multiple barrels. Most of us here have displayed at one time or another that we have "managed" to gather a decent collection of barrels so needing to multi task a barrel is not a huge concern. We are talking about a custom tube for a specific purpose here. And we are talking about cannons...the purpose is "DRT"...not how cheap can I shoot it.

I personally know a guy that did the deal with practice and hunting rounds. He went hunting, mixed them up and missed a few deer in the process.

Originally Posted By: KYODE
i've fireformed all my cases in the 35 rimmed with 158gr pistol bullets. great fun, accurate, less expense and recoil....good fer "play".

Fireforming...that's a different story. That's a necessary evil when playing the "oddball" cartridge game. Cheapo bullets are great for this. But why shorten the life of your good brass that you've spent time prepping and sorting to plink. I've resorted to the cream of wheat method for this and get perfect cases without even using bullets.

Man do I sound cranky tonight! Must be the sinuses all packed up and squeezing the "pissy" part of my brain!

ISPBS--Expert Level

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Dan B.] #22984 12/11/2007 12:31 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
yep....yer cranky! ....nope, nope....yer jis tryin to get out of shootin so much, n i'm trying to shoot more, more, more! \:D lol!....or dreamin more like it. pitiful year for me shootin wise, the worse in years.
dan....prepare for the high school/teen years. it ain't near as fun as when they are younger...lol

now..... "DRT" is meaningless. i've done that with a 22-250 n 50gr nosler bt's, or a 6br with a lil 80gr bullet, or even a sharp tipped arrow....no JDJ or big momma gun guarantees it any better. all in the circumstances involved....

Quote:
I personally know a guy that did the deal with practice and hunting rounds. He went hunting, mixed them up and missed a few deer in the process.

now dan....i am not that dumb.

the poster had his questions answered in the first few great posts....so i don't see why we can't give each other a lil grief now. ;\) go ahead n be cranky....lol.

ps....i already gots a nice 14" polished ss custom 357max from mgm. \:D

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: KYODE] #22989 12/11/2007 1:46 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I guess DRT was the wrong term...was going after "most energy on target."

And I agree...some good banter with friction occassionally does good to bring out various outlooks on the same topic.

14" Max...that baby will crack out some nice fps!

ISPBS--Expert Level

Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Dan B.] #22990 12/11/2007 2:00 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Kyode that 357 Max barrel will almost tie the 35 Rem. \:\) And do it with less powder.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Time for a custom barrel [Re: Tigger] #22992 12/11/2007 2:13 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
thats what i'm hopin gentlemen! 14" 357max with a nice custom chamber just might do it fer me!....we'll see....eventually <rolleyes>
i only got 1850fps er so out of the 14" factory barrel with 180gr pistol bullets over a stout load of H110(actually over listed max, but fine lookin pressure wise). with pistol bullets that is probably enuff, but i'm hoping i can do better in a custom chamber with the 180ssp....and possibly another powder??

the 35rem does 2150+ with 180's.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod