Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Competitor Pistol...know anything about them? #23150 12/18/2007 6:04 AM
DakotaElkSlayer Offline OP
OP Offline
I just found these guys on the net... Don't know anything about 'em, but the pistols have peaked my interest. Anybody shoot one, or know their reputation? http://www.competitor-pistol.com/

Jim

Re: Competitor Pistol...know anything about them? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #23151 12/18/2007 7:27 AM
keyman Offline
Yeah, spitting image of the Magnum Research Lone Eagle. Cannon breach type action, the same system used in Navy 16" guns and Army field artillery. Stronger than blue blazes. I've seen custom .50 BMG pistols made from them. Soldier of Fortune editor Robert K Brown had one, hunted Cape Buffalo with it a few years back. Don't think they make them that big as a production item though.

D'Keyman

Re: Competitor Pistol...know anything about them? [Re: keyman] #23154 12/18/2007 2:05 PM
Stush Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have one of these pistols. Outstanding quality. The trigger takes a little getting used to, but the accuracy is phenomenal. I have a 257 Roberts AI and 221 Fireball barrel for mine. I have shot groups less than 2" at 300 yards with the 257 barrel. These guns don't get much press or attention, but they are well worth the investment. In my mind, they offer all the benefits of a contender/encore type switch barrel system, but with accuracy like a bolt gun.

Stush
Re: Competitor Pistol...know anything about them? [Re: Stush] #23155 12/18/2007 3:02 PM
lonerider Offline
journeyman
journeyman
There is a good reason they look like the Loneeagle. Al Straitor the guy that makes the Competitor was one of the original design team for the SSP86..which is the first of the cannon breach guns..I have several. The company split and Al went on his own as the Competitor Corp. The others sold out to the Lone eagle folks and the Lone eagle is not in production at ths time.

The Competitor has some improvements over the factory Loneeagle guns in my opinion. It is a very accurate gun and Al chambers it in a wide variety of calibers..I bought my first one from Al over twenty years ago...I like them pretty well

shortgun

Re: Competitor Pistol...know anything about them? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #23156 12/18/2007 4:13 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I love mine, they are a huge improvement over the Lone Eagle. The Competitor cocks itself as the action is opened, unlike the lever on the Lone Eagle. The stock trigger has a 'blade' safety like Glocks which was a PITA so I removed it. Much better feel now. Very accurate and relatively easy to change barrels, although not a quickly as the T/C. Balances like a regular semi-auto pistol, albeit heavier.

If you want on be prepared to wait, up to a year, for it. I bought mine from a member on another forum, as new, used but barely. You occasionally find them on GunBroker.com, or put a WTB in every forum you can find. I highly reccommend this pistol. Rod.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Competitor Pistol...know anything about them? [Re: s4s4u] #23161 12/18/2007 9:41 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I shot one at the first shoot Dan B had. I liked it. If I remember right it was a 257 Roberts also. Very accurate and pleasent to shoot. Stush brought it to the shoot.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Competitor Pistol...know anything about them? [Re: DakotaElkSlayer] #23224 12/23/2007 3:14 PM
mikeflo44 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I know I called and wanted to order one a few months ago and Paul told ne it wuold be about a 26 month waiting period. I will have forgot what I ordered by yhe time it arrived

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod