Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts #23347 12/28/2007 8:33 PM
SChunter Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Hey guys - new member to the group... I have been pouring over the forums over the last several days and wondered if there have been any "Handgun Hunter" regional meetings/target shoots/hunts ever planned, or if that is something the group has considered.

I would think it would be great to get a small group together for a handgun-only trip for big game somewhere - I'm sure with all the members someone has a pistol-friendly outfitter/rancher/guide service out there who could cut us a deal...and maybe benefit from some site-advertisement? Just brainstorming...

Again, very happy to have found the site - waiting for my subscription to arrive!

Dur

Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: SChunter] #23348 12/28/2007 9:14 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Sound interesting SChunter. Myself and a guy I work with are planning a first time black bear hunt in Maine next fall but haven't decided where just yet. That would be an interesting hunt for a group of handgunners.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: KRal] #23351 12/28/2007 10:06 PM
Subsciber Offline
Hey kral, I seen your post asking for information on outfitters. Send me a PM I've got something to look at.

Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: Subsciber] #23360 12/29/2007 4:29 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
First of all WELCOME to Handgun Hunt! I know some members go on thier annual hunting trips and have extended invitations to go along. As far as I know there has been no group hunt orginized on the board yet. Dan B has a weekend shoot at a range near his house in PA each spring. We can shoot out to 500 yards. It's a good time and I have met members of the board there.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: Tigger] #23376 12/30/2007 1:33 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
SChunter, Always happy to met a new member....Your idea is one that I`ve thought about for quite awhile. It would be fantastic to have a hunt with other member`s from our site. At this point I think it would be best to start off easy by trying to arrange hunts in certain parts of the country that would make it easier for the members to attend. An examlpe may be to have a hunt in the north east for members in that area and then another in the central part of the country for those members living in that area and so on.... I think a boar hunt would be the cheapiest and easiest hunt to arrange to get this off the ground. If any members have ideas I would like to hear them. James

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: jamesfromjersey] #23394 12/30/2007 5:39 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Okay James, It's in your ball park. Set up a handgun hunt in New Jersey!! \:\/ Just teasing. I have treid many times to get fellow handgun hunters together to go with me to my area of Colorado for an Elk hunt. I have all the gear and do all the horse packing and outfitting for free. It's a US Wilderness area and you can only get there on your own feet or horseback. We rent and use horses for packing only. Typically the cost of the hunt all inclusive is ~$1200 or less - the caveat being there are no promises and the hunters must ride with me to share the cost of gasoline. License -480, horse 350/hunters, gas/hunters, food people and horses ~150 + ancillary $$ for food on trip. I've been trying to get Dan B to go for a long time. I'd love to meet XP Hunters et all from Colorado there!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #23398 12/30/2007 7:02 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
One of these days Gerry I will take you up on that offer. \:\)

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #23403 12/30/2007 9:22 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Anybody who has never hunted elk needs to take Gerry up on his offer. I have hunted the area he is talking about, there is a good elk population and some great bulls.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: pab1] #23407 12/30/2007 11:47 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
While the cost of international airfares makes it prohibitive, can anyone tells me whether a visitor to the US can:
i. Import a handgun for the purpose of hunting,
ii. Carry a handgun for hunting.
iii. The contact range normally encountered with elk.

Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: Walkingthemup] #23413 12/31/2007 7:05 AM
Revolver Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I like this idea. I hope it goes somewhere.

I have more guns than I need, but not nearly as many as I want...
Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #23415 12/31/2007 12:56 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Bullelk Hunter
I've been trying to get Dan B to go for a long time.

Guess I need to get my arse in shape and take you up on this offer. I spent about 1K on my last trip only to get thrown from a horse on day two.

Surely going with Gerry should not be that painful...unless someone knows different??!!

Sometime soon I'll be postind details about this years spring shoot. It will be in late April...usually the weekend before our spring gobbler season opens. It's a good time!! Range has lots of backers from 25 to 500yds, covered concrete benches, pavilion behind benches to spread out gear, steel plates at most ranges, ol'lady brings grub, etc, etc.

Last edited by Dan B.; 12/31/2007 1:29 PM.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Membership Meets/Shoots/Hunts [Re: Revolver] #23438 01/01/2008 3:18 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Bullelk hunter, Just to give you an idea how bad new jersey is........I applied for a handgun purchase permit at local police around Sept.1st, 2007 and just recieved a postcard saying that I`ve been approved and can pick up my permit. Waiting time....4 months.
Your elk hunt sounds great!!! I rifle hunted a 5X5 in nortern Utah back in 1994 ( carried my FA 454 but it was a cross canyon shot). That was a tough hunt. I have an Alaskan hunt set up for Sept. 2008 so this year (2008) might be a little tough for me with cash. However, your hunt sounds great. What time of year?? James

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 51 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod