OP Offline
journeyman
What do you prefer and why?

One shot, one kill.
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jajwrigh] #24150 01/24/2008 12:44 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Wheelguns...its funny but I`ve never given much thought to that question until now. I`am sure a lot has to do with being brought up on cowboy and Indian movies, Lone Ranger and more. You know...
good guy versus bad guy and the good guy always won.There was never a question about what type of handgun I would use. Then Freedom Arms came out with their model 83 and that really sealed it.As I`ve said before "the gun is so damm accurate". However, I can see a shift in my preference after a 100yd+ miss on a blackbuck last year in Texas with my scoped FA 454. I then watched as the other handgunners I was with take 150yd+ shots with their 6.5JDJ and drop everything they aimed at.I now have a scoped 10" 30-30 Contender thats "damm accurate". Time will tell.
All the best and good hunting, James

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jamesfromjersey] #24151 01/24/2008 1:03 AM
riggeruwz Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Hmmm, I guess I prefer, well, yeah, I prefer both!!!! The night before each hunt, I look in the vault and try to decide. Sometimes I don't decide at all so I take both. You see, in Indiana (a.k.a. God's Country) we can't use rifles so the .308 Encore gets the nod, but, the kid in me still likes to get a close shot with the .44SBH. So sometimes they both get to go. Just depends on my mood!

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jamesfromjersey] #24152 01/24/2008 1:05 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
That depends on what I'm hunting or doing. All the 25+ deer I have taken are with revolters. The areas I hunt are close shots only from a stand and stalking thru thick stuff. Plinking at the range is also fun with the revolters. When I go after charlies most of the time it's with a single shot, either XP or Encore in a bottle neck cartridge for the longer distances. During winter league I shoot the single shots to stay competitive with the rifle boys at 100 yards.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jajwrigh] #24154 01/24/2008 1:49 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I prefer single shots for hunting. In my experience, single shots are more accurate, even when shooting the same caliber as a revolver. Don't get me wrong, there are some extremely accurate revolvers out there, but by and large I feel single shots win when it comes to accuracy. If I am hunting an area where a longer shot is likely, I'll pack a single shot.

On the other hand, I like the ease of packing a revolver when hunting. An open sighted revolver is better for getting a close range shot in heavy cover than a scoped single shot IMO. For the most part it depends on what mood I'm in.

Sometimes I prefer a revolver, sometimes a single shot, for no other reason than that is what I felt like that day. But to really muddy the waters, I often carry both. When elk hunting, I usually have my .45-70 Contender in a shoulder holster on my left, with my .45 Colt Blackhawk on my belt on my right. I guess I wasn't any help at all.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: pab1] #24155 01/24/2008 2:16 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I prefer single action revolvers, I suppose part of it is the connection to the old west but also here in oregon most of the areas I hunt your shots are going to be under 100 yds and in heavy timber the possibility of having to take a moving shot and maybe needing a backup shot are greater. I can even say that in the eastern part of the state where it is much more wide open plains country I normally end up in timber and the farthest I've shot a mulie at is about 150yds and elk about 200yds both with a rifle.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jajwrigh] #24157 01/24/2008 2:34 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I gotta say BOTH as well. When on AM and PM post I sit with a T/C or Bolt pistol, with my .41 SBH as backup. As a group we usually shuffle around in the woods during the mid-day with a few posters and a few chasers. I like to walk so I carry a holstered revolver as it is easier to negotiate the heavy willow thickets and no shots will be more than 50 yards or so. I haul about 100 pounds of iron to camp each year, so I have options ;-)
Rod.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: riggeruwz] #24163 01/24/2008 3:11 AM
jajwrigh Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: riggeruwz
You see, in Indiana (a.k.a. God's Country) we can't use rifles so the .308 Encore gets the nod...

Actually, I am an Indiana boy too!

One shot, one kill.
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jajwrigh] #24169 01/24/2008 5:05 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i like the single shot best i guess. i prefer the flatter shooting range capability. just too many opportunities when a revolver would be a real stretch, even if just traveling to/from a stand. i do like a nice scoped hunting revolver though.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jajwrigh] #24176 01/24/2008 12:54 PM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
I hunt two states--Illinois and my home state Alabama. I prefer my wheel in Illinois because of the IDNR limitations for single shot ammo. In 'Bama the restrictions are minimal but I still ususally take the wheel (or my bow). However, don't be surprised when you see the Kingfisher posting "GOT A NEW TOY", because a T/C is in the works...

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: kingfisher] #24179 01/24/2008 3:47 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Welcome to the site. First, let me give you the best answer for this question. "FIND A WAY TO OWN BOTH." Now that that's out of the way we can discuse opinions. As for accuracy, I personally, have not found a wheel-gun that can hold a light to a single shot. And it's just basic common sense why. With single shots, you have a closed breech, only one way for the gas to exscape when fired, out the muzzle. Therefore, more consistency and more accurate. Also, as a rule, (depending on your state)you'll be shooting bottle neck cartridges in a single shot, which can fire pointed tipped bullets, which have better ballictic coeffiency, which are more accurate. Revolvers have two places (on well constructed guns) for the gas to exscape, the side of the cylinder and the muzzle. This allows inconsistency is the exiting gas and effects accuracy. Also, as a rule, you'll be shooting flat or round nose type bullets in a revolver, which do not have as good a ballistic coeffiency as pointed bullets. Therefore, are not as accurate. With all that said, I currently own two hunting revolvers, (44mag Ruger SBH Hunter and 475 Linebaugh Gary Reeder Custom)and have many more on my wish list. I have two T/C's with differt barrels for differnt purposes. When hunting game that I expect shots to be, on average, 75 yards or more, I grab a T/C. If I'm hunting in thick cover or just wanting that "extra" challenge, I grab a wheelgun. Don't get me wrong, it's still a challenge with a single shot, you just have longer range capabilities. Regardless what type handgun you hunt with, it's a challenge and regardless what game you hunt or the size of that game, if taken with a handgun, are all trophy's. Well, that's just my 2 Cents, it won't even get you a piece of bubble gum now day's. Hope you're not more confused now than before reading this...LOL! I'll close with "FIND A WAY TO OWN BOTH." Good huntin'.

P.S. There's a real good article on this subject in, I believe, in VOL. I of Handgun Hunter Magazine.

Last edited by kral; 01/24/2008 4:42 PM.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: kingfisher] #24185 01/24/2008 9:09 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
God doesn't like rifles?

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: Sawfish] #24190 01/24/2008 11:35 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My Dad has always told me, “beware of the man with one gun, for he knows how to use it!” In short, I feel like it is what you get accustom to using and feel comfortable shooting. There are + and – to both, for some it is just looks. Others, it is because that is what their Dad had and that is what they are going to shoot.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: Sawfish] #24232 01/25/2008 5:02 PM
riggeruwz Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: Sawfish
God doesn't like rifles?

I don't know his preference, but I would guess he just likes to challenge Hoosiers, 'cause he knows we're up to the task.:)

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jajwrigh] #24241 01/25/2008 7:25 PM
SS 308 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Quote:
let me give you the best answer for this question. "FIND A WAY TO OWN BOTH."

Karl, I couldn't agree with you more. Out here in Wyoming the shots can be long for handguns (200+ yds), but on occasion shorter. I mostly hunt for Mule Deer and Antelope and occasional Elk. I like my Savage Striker in 300 WSM, but always keep my S&W Model 29 with me, for those occasional short shots (75 yds and closer).

Last year I was making a stalk on a Mule Deer and ended up under 25 yds. Glad I had the 44 mag.

I think alot of it depends on the terrain, but I do like both.

Not as lean, Not as mean, But still a Marine!
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: SS 308] #24246 01/25/2008 10:25 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I can not disagree any with that statement. I own quite a few TC’s but I do not own any revolvers. I am currently saving for a FA!

This debate reminds me of the seen from “Quigly Down Under” were Tom Selek said, “I said I never had much use for one, didn’t say I couldn’t use one!”

I am sorry about the spelling!!! My computer can do spell check, but it can’t do proper names.

Duane

By the way, Once a Marine, always a Marine!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: TCTex.] #24247 01/25/2008 10:47 PM
Bhoss Offline
stranger
stranger
The only real handgun is a weel-gun. But I love my tc encore 22-250 for coyotes,708 for deer and my most best 45 ruger bisley for any thing I can reach.

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: Bhoss] #24264 01/26/2008 3:06 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Primarily a SS, but I also use revolvers from time to time

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: Ernie] #24289 01/27/2008 9:32 PM
ratgunner Offline
addict
addict
I like both,but since this is hunting not the old west,LOL, I prefer the single shots.

Hunt hard,Shoot straight,Kill clean,Apologize to no one.
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: kingfisher] #24293 01/28/2008 1:42 AM
Bald Eagle Offline
stranger
stranger
Welcome to the sport of handgun hunting.

I don't think that there is a "wrong" answer to your question.

I usually use a TC Contender if I am hunting from a stand or in open country. Most often I use the 7-30 Waters barrel with a 3 - 9X scope. With a rest I am comfortable out to about 200 yds. The .30-30 with the new LeveRevolution ammo (pointed bullets and ballistically superior to the old flat points) , would also be a good choice. However, if you can afford one, the Encore gives you more versatility since you can use most rifle calibers in it.

Frequently I carry a .44 or .357 on my hip also. That gives me a another option. In fact, if I am hunting with a rifle, I frequently pack a .44 "just in case" I get a close shot.

The revolvers have open sights, so I limit myself to 50 yds. I am the limiting factor, rather than the guns. With age (69) it gets harder and harder to focus on the open sights. That will probably not be a problem for you.

I would try some of your friends' guns at the range. It may help you decide which one(s) you are most comfortable shooting. Also, it get the chance try some different sights and optics.

I am thinking about getting a red dot holographic sight for the .44 and wonder if anyone has experience and an opinion to the advisability of this?

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: Bald Eagle] #24296 01/28/2008 2:28 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Welcome to HH. I have red dots on some, and fiber optic/ghost ring setups on others and all help tired eyes. What make/model of wheeler is your 44, some are easier to accessorize than others.

Rod, too.

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: s4s4u] #24297 01/28/2008 2:48 AM
Bald Eagle Offline
stranger
stranger
My .44 is a Ruger Bisley with a 7 1/2" barrel.

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: Bald Eagle] #24298 01/28/2008 2:51 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
WELCOME Bald Eagle!!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jajwrigh] #24302 01/28/2008 11:43 AM
Rafe Covington Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I probably prefer single shots as I shoot them alot more than my revolvers. I have been shooting TC's for about 35 years, always liked to try to shoot long range and the singleshot is more adapted to that. I also shot silhouette for quite a few years and used a 30-30 SS pistol, plus I can shoot the old blackpowder cartridges out of my encore. Sure is alot cheaper than buying a rifle for each caliber. Sorry for being long winded.

You can run but you die tired.
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: Bald Eagle] #24307 01/28/2008 3:33 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Bald Eagle
My .44 is a Ruger Bisley with a 7 1/2" barrel.

I have the Hunter version of the Bisley which has the scope cutouts on the barrel. I don't like the barrel location for a scope so I put a peep rear and fiber optic sight on that one.

Jack weigand makes a mount the uses the rear sight mounting hole, but you have to drill/tap two more in the strap: http://www.jackweigand.com/raswms.html
Weaver makes a base that uses the rear sight mount hole and a barrel clamp that requires no mods to the gun: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=359216&t=11082005
If you use a tube style red dot either should work fine but some have long turret areas that may not fit between the rings on the Weaver one. Rod.

Last edited by s4s4u; 01/28/2008 3:35 PM.

Rod, too.

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: kingfisher] #24319 01/29/2008 2:10 AM
Bobuakma Offline
stranger
stranger
This was my first year to carry a revolver, a 9.5 inch Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag. I have wanted one ever since I read an article years ago.I have shot many Arkansas deer and only one shot would have been too long for a revolver. My favorite type of hunt is "still hunting" and revolvers seem the best fit.I am now trying to find the best scope for the gun

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: jajwrigh] #24371 01/30/2008 6:05 AM
onesonek Offline
Primarily single shots, with the Encore being my favorite. Although there are a few situations where I'd rather have a revolver.

Dave

Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: onesonek] #24644 02/05/2008 7:10 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Wheel gun is all I have ever shot, so to me that's it. Being in Oregon, I hunt mostly in brush and trees so 100 yards would be a long shot here. I'm good upto that range with my .454 with a Red Dot scope. But my eyes are getting older and I'm going to switch to a 2x or 4x scope.
Also I'm a old west fan so the six shooter is a must for me. (also explains why I'm going back to single Action)

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Wheel guns vs. single shots [Re: rupe] #24679 02/06/2008 1:46 PM
Danie Offline
stranger
stranger
Here in South Africa we love them all. 45 Out of 75 members of Handgun Hunting Association of Southern Africa hunt with 44 Magnum Revolvers and then they also hunt with single shot TC’s and XP 100’s.

I suppose it all depend on the distance to shoot. I love the 300 Whisper and 357 Herret the most but also hunt with 223 Rem and 445 SM in TC and then a 357 Mag wheel gun. So my personal choice for now is single shot till I could afford a new Revolver.

“Eventually everyone DIES but not everyone LIVES while ALIVE”

http://www.handgunhuntersa.com

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod