Next Thread
Print Thread
Just wanted to say "Hi"! #28036 04/09/2008 5:13 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Hi guys.
I've been on a self imposed exile from most internet stuff for awhile & figured I'd stop in for a minute & say hi. I've missed the folks here.
Last fall I realized I just wasn't really having fun with the handguns as I was wandering through the woods on the last day of moose season with my Encore. Mademe all he more determined to get re-focused on traditional bows (usually my main hunting weapon). I even parted with one Encore frame & a couple of barrels :o. I think I've re-awakened to the same conclusion I had reached several times before. I'm a revolver guy at heart. For now I've kept my Encore in 450 Marlin, and my model 29 with the UltraDot isn't going anywhere
But for now, the Fedora recurve is king of the heart.
Of course as spring bear season is approaching I find my heart beginning to have bits of longing toward the mod 29..... ;\)
Anyone, good to catch up a bit!
Sorry for being AWOL so long without explanation \:\(

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: Vance in AK.] #28038 04/09/2008 5:47 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Nice to have you back. You have been missed.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: TCTex.] #28039 04/09/2008 5:57 PM
hunlee Offline
addict
addict
Hunlee say hello to Vance in AK!!!!Hunlee not know who you are butt hunlee say HellO anyway....maybe if Vance in AK no longer like Encore Vance sell Encore to Hunlee?

hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: hunlee] #28040 04/09/2008 6:36 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Hello Vance I'm Rupe nice to meet you. I'm also a revolver man, but I'm thinking about trying the specialty handguns to see what they are all about.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: rupe] #28045 04/09/2008 8:26 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Wow...now there's a name I've not seem for a while!! Good to see you back...even if it is for a brief hello.

I did the same thing last summer...I went back into racing and rebuilt a "young adulthood" toy...my Ford Ranger street legal race truck. Was literally off line for months...and it was great! Got lots more done around the house.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: Dan B.] #28046 04/09/2008 8:49 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hey Hey!! I was wondering what happened to you old buddy. I was afraid one of those big Ak bears got ahold of you. Thanks again for all the time you spent with me when I was up there hunting. Take care and keep in touch.

If you need a bow hunting buddy during moose season just let me know......

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #28050 04/09/2008 10:55 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
howdy Vance, good to see your ok. I know what you mean about the traditional archery stuff but I just can't shoot it much anymore. Good Luck with the spring bears, i'm going to chase them down here if they ever wake up.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: Vance in AK.] #28061 04/10/2008 2:27 AM
RobR Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Hey Vance, by a fluke I just happened to stop by (think I have been away a lot longer than you).
Glad to hear things going well. Was rereading a couple of Jay Massey's books the other weekend and was actually thinking about getting my father's old Bear recurve out and maybe doing a little deer hunting with it in PWS this fall. Haven't given up on handguns, but just haven't had much opportunity to go shooting or hunting lately, and Massey inspired me.
I got married summer before last, have a 14 month old son and another due in middle of moose season (bad timing). Kinda alot to handle for a guy 49 yo. All that, and I am building a 16' Sevtec Surveyor hovercraft in my spare time (going to be a real duck killer when its done).
Have a friend that wants a black bear, so even though I am not that mad at them any more, I might have to chase them around a little this spring myself.
Take care.
Rob

Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: Vance in AK.] #28074 04/10/2008 4:29 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Good to see you back Vance! I was worried a brownie got the best of you after your post about the charge a year or two back. I go back and forth between traditional archery, traditional muzzleloaders and handguns consuming my interest. I'll focus on one at the exclusion of the others for months, then drift to one of the others for a few months in a never ending cycle. Any luck with the bow last season?

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: pab1] #28105 04/10/2008 9:49 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Glad you checked in Vance, good to hear you are OK. I can understand the break from the net. Sometimes it consumes you and you have to take a step back and breath. Everything in moderation right?

I have bow hunted some over the last 5 years but my love is still handguns. I guess died in the wool to much for me. \:\)

Well keep the faith and check in once in a while especially if you harvest something cool, handgun or bow does not matter. We just would like to see it and hear the story!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: Tigger] #28127 04/11/2008 5:22 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Wow, thanks for the warm homecoming TCman & all of you! Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Hunlee, I probably hang on to the one Encore unless someone with a really nice 480 Ruger tempts me too much.

Rupe, us revolver guys need to stick together! The specialty pistols will lead you down evil paths.

Dan, I'm glad you are having fun with the truck. A guy needs a little variety in life doesn't he?

Shawn, I was just thinking of you the other day & telling a friend what a ball I had with you (and Doug). That was a kick. I still owe you some pics. Are you doing it again this year?
We may have to do the moose thing sometime.

Rod, how's the back & new business going? Still enjoying the tropics?

Rob, a voice from the past! Where are you located now? Congrats on the marriage & the kids. I'm with you on the old man with kids thing. 48 with a 4 yr old boy (and 12 & 14 yr old girls). Not sure if it will keep us young or make us old! My boy was born smack in the middle of our short 7 day bow only moose season. We celebrate before or after, he doesn't care.

Pab, I follow the same cycle you do although the muzzle loader stuff hasn't been played with for a while. Got it out a few months ago, but stuck it back before I got hooked again. I hunted primarily with handguns last year, & no luck.

Tigger, amen on the moderation!
Good to see you on the mend, & I intend to hang around.

Thanks guys, it's good to have friends!!!!!
You guys have reminded me why I miss this place so much.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Just wanted to say "Hi"! [Re: Vance in AK.] #28240 04/14/2008 11:35 PM
RobR Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Vance, still in Anchorage.
My boy is a handful - the size of a 2 yo and the brain of a 1 yo. He will either keep me young or wear me out. Hope to keep him alive til his brain catches up to what his body can do.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 93 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod