Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What do you do? #28072 04/10/2008 3:30 AM
Revolver Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I was just thinking about an off topic, Being I see all you guys with your beautiful trophies and stories of amazing hunts, so it made me curious what some of you folks do for a living to afford all of your fine arms and extravagant hunts?...

So I'll start it off:
I work in a warehouse (Wal-Mart Distribution Center) they pay really good for the area.

I have more guns than I need, but not nearly as many as I want...
Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28077 04/10/2008 7:01 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm a pastor with 3 kids .
I hunt local ;\)

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: What do you do? [Re: Vance in AK.] #28079 04/10/2008 11:00 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Well, I preach also, but i have 2 kids with one out on their own. I also hunt local and I don't pay for leases or guides. hunt public land and self-guided.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: What do you do? [Re: Ernie] #28080 04/10/2008 11:09 AM
Iowa hunter Offline
Head grounds keeper for the University of iowa. I also hunt puplic ground and some very nice private ground. I trade with lawncare work. I have 6 kids.

Re: What do you do? [Re: Iowa hunter] #28081 04/10/2008 11:16 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm a state employee with two kids. Average + money for the area. Do all my hunting locally...mainly just deer and turkey. Not much small game to be had with all the predators in the area...and I just can't carve out the time to hunt predators.

I have gone to CO three times but have an uncle that lives out there. He invites me every few years but acts totally different once you drive the 1800 miles to get there. It's a nice luxury if you can deal with his rudeness and short temper...had enough of that on the last trip so I'll not hunt with him again.

Last edited by Dan B.; 04/10/2008 11:43 AM.
Re: What do you do? [Re: Iowa hunter] #28082 04/10/2008 11:25 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I am a lowly little E4 in the US Navy. I have the privilege of hunting on the Naval Base during bow season, but during general season, I will be on public land. Before I got in the Navy, I knew to many farmers that would let be hunt on there land. Nothing trophy, but it was still fun. I couldn’t justify being on a dear lease spending 1200 a gun and then the fuel getting there and back along with the upkeep of the feeders and blinds. My Dad and I were probably spending 3000 a year on a deer lease. For that kink of money, we decided that we could go on guaranteed hunts and come out just as good!

If I wanted to take a trophy, and if I had the time, I could go to one of my two Uncles places, but as Dan just mentioned, I just as soon not.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28083 04/10/2008 11:37 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i work as a machine operator in a plastics(rolled foam)plant. average++ money for the area. 3 kids that have WAY too many "needs".
i've worked hard for the "fine arms", and there are no "extravagant hunts" here. i hunt/shoot local.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: What do you do? [Re: KYODE] #28088 04/10/2008 3:02 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Most of my adult life I was a cop, then got tired of it and went into construction building patio covers and awnings. I got hurt last year and am now disabled/retired.
I had to sell all my guns several years ago to pay the ex. wife spousal support. I'm down to just 2 revolvers,1 shot gun,and 1 WWII Marine trainning rifle .22LR , I hunt public land for Elk,Deer,Bear,Cougar and anything else that moves. But that is about to change because I have a friend that has 8000 acres of private land and as soon as I get rid of some of the coyotes that are killing the calfs, I get to hunt all of the above plus Hogs! Yahoo!! Right now I'm waitting for SSD to start so I'm very poor at the moment.

Last edited by rupe; 04/10/2008 3:03 PM.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: What do you do? [Re: rupe] #28090 04/10/2008 3:50 PM
moonshine44 Offline
I work in the quality lab at a cement plant. We make the gray stuff that makes your sidewalks get hard enough to walk on It pays really good for this area, but...

My wife ranches full time, so most of my money goes towards keeping her cows fat and happy, but I do occasionally manage to bring a new toy, er, tool, er, uhm, gun into the house. For the last few years it's been about one a year, but some of them were trades...

The only guided hunt I've ever been on was a moose hunt in Canada 18 years ago, back before my two kids got old enough to have much in the way of "needs". Any more my hunting is all either on public ground or my wife's family's ranch ground.

Member, Western Writers of America

Re: What do you do? [Re: moonshine44] #28101 04/10/2008 8:20 PM
hunlee Offline
addict
addict
Hi there Hunlee here!!!Hunlee only work part time at local tavern on Thursday,Friday nite,,,Hunlee is bar tender...Hunlee is allso owner or 223,375 Windchester and 7-30 water Contender...During hunting season hunlee not work at all,,,bow hunt and then hunt with Contender during big game season,,,Hunlee hunt in home state and will allso go to nayboring state to hunt big game!!!hunlee hunt about three month each year,,,sometime more depending on what state hunlee deside to go to hunt in...Hunlee has fathered many children so it is allmost full time job watching them...Life has been very good to hunlee and many nice thing has come to Hunlee...Hunlee is friend to all and is allso very good looking

hunlee

Hunlee is friend to all,,,Is a lover not a fighter and has fathered many children!!!!
Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28111 04/10/2008 11:34 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I drove truck for a living up till about 6 months ago. The special loads I hauled paid well for the local area I live in. I invested most of my extra money in the house and kids. So I don't have a lot of extra for toys and hunts. Yes I do have a large collection of some nice and rare handguns, but I have been collecting for 20+ yeras and I'm very frugal as to how I buy them. I have kicked myself for guns I have missed that were over my set price by $20, but hey then when a good ones comes along I have that money stashed.

I have never hunted off the family farms. I don't even have a trophy whitetail, but them most of the time I hunt to relax and put meat in the freezer. That's my trophy. My brother and I have talked about hunting out west and we might someday but it will be low budget and hopefully self guided, or with a handgun hunt member that is generous to help us alnog.

My true trophies are the charlies I keep in check for the local farmers. The woodchuck is an awesome animal to hunt, and we have lots. I enjoy being out in the field to meet the challenge. I pride myself with accurate kills and keep my shot to kill ratio over 75% most seasons. Hey if I set up and can't get a clear shot I just watch the charlie and admire him. In the past few years I have been working with and building special handguns and stretching out the range at which I harvest them. Very challenging. \:\)

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28120 04/11/2008 2:23 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
I am a civil engieer, I supervise the timing and maintenance of aboout seven hundred traffic signals in central New York. I own some land, and hunt private land and State Land. My favorite spot for the last ten years, became someone's back yard this year, so I'll be hunting up a new favorite spot next year. I have a daughter that is a Junior at Cornell and a dauughter that is a junior in high school, and a wife!!. I acquired most of my firearms when I was single, and had to live on cheese sandwiches. I eat better now, but can't afford to buy as many firearms. I have hunted in Pennsylvania and the Adirondacks in canvas camps, self guided and will probably do it again... once a boy scout always a boy scout. Don't have any trophies, but sure have a lot of great memories.

Re: What do you do? [Re: HoggHunter] #28124 04/11/2008 3:44 AM
Revolver Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Good stuff guys, keep em coming. Its good to learn a lil something new about everyone.

I have more guns than I need, but not nearly as many as I want...
Re: What do you do? [Re: hunlee] #28128 04/11/2008 11:25 AM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
Manufacturer's Rep. Lines include asphalt release agent for major asphalt and paving companies and industrial lubricants for road builders/excavation. Former college coach and that fire still burns and am blessed to be able to coach a local high school baseball team and American Legion summer team.

I hunt on my family land in west central Alabama but have a passion for Pike County, IL. Make 2 trips there each fall (1 bow/1 combo--handgun & bow) and go up at least once in August to scout & glass & . I highly recommend it.

Oops! I forgot one thing. Kingfisher big fan of Hunlee. Wish Kingfisher was good looking as Hunlee but Kingfisher get hit with many baseballs and took toll. Kingfish also wish he could father many children like Hunlee but, once again, many baseballs hit Kingfisher in wrong place and only father two. Hunlee lucky man. Hope he beats FART!

Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28140 04/12/2008 1:42 AM
clayzzz Offline
I'm a field manager for a electrical contractor in Richmond Va. I'm new to handgun hunting but I have some nice rifles and shotguns a Krieghoff K-80 is my sporting clays competition gun. Also have a few pistols my Kimber 1911 cdp is my best at this time. Waiting on my encore to arrive.

Last edited by clayzzz; 04/12/2008 1:45 AM.
Re: What do you do? [Re: clayzzz] #28141 04/12/2008 2:18 AM
larry223 Offline
addict
addict
i am disabled/retired recovering from heart trouble.
hunt public land and our rod&gun club. 5yrs into handguns and
have a nice collection, not big but ok a few r----s and my trap
guns.
larry

tc,s 223 35rem 7-30 waters 6.5jdj 375
30/30ai 6mm/223 22lr
encores 7mm-08 308
redhawk 44mag.
Re: What do you do? [Re: hunlee] #28142 04/12/2008 2:35 AM
MAKO Offline
stranger
stranger
I am a maintenance mechanic in a injection molding plant 60 mi.NW of Chicago. Last year I bought a small cabin on 5 acres in central UP Michigan. I would like to retire up there in the next 8 years. Last November I got a nice doe on my own land.

Marko

Re: What do you do? [Re: MAKO] #28181 04/13/2008 2:56 PM
WNY_Whitetailer Offline
Local LEO w/two children and another on the way. No extravagant hunts here...A friend of mine owns 100 acres, another owns 90 acres so I hunt on their property. Sometimes state land calls my name. Whitetail, turkey, small game...

Patience comes with age and you can't teach common sense
Re: What do you do? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #28198 04/13/2008 11:00 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I`am the plumbing foreman for the 2nd largest public school
district in New Jersey. We maintain over 45 school and office buildings. I`ve been working here for over 34 years and I thank God every day for my job.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: What do you do? [Re: jamesfromjersey] #28199 04/13/2008 11:11 PM
tommyn Offline
Retired Federal Meat Inspector. Had 46 years in and had enough. Love to shoot and reload. Decent retirement except ex gets 39 percent of it so I have to watch my pennies. Love to shoot groundhogs and learning to like Fedal hog hunting. Love to fish but ex got bass boat also. O'well I'm happy.

Re: What do you do? [Re: tommyn] #28222 04/14/2008 11:44 AM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: tommyn
Retired Federal Meat Inspector. Had 46 years in and had enough. Love to shoot and reload. Decent retirement except ex gets 39 percent of it so I have to watch my pennies. Love to shoot groundhogs and learning to like Fedal hog hunting. Love to fish but ex got bass boat also. O'well I'm happy.

Bet you would love to shoot the ex's lawyer.

Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28229 04/14/2008 8:13 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've got 4 kids from my first marriage and 1 from my current. I am a automotive and medium/heavy truck technician although I went to school to work on aircraft but I decided I like cars more and in most cases it pays better (makes you feel better about flying doesn't it). I am an ASE Master technician with advanced certification and I specialize in driveability and electrical problems but due to my recent medical issues I will either be going on disability or finding a new career. I have only been on one guided hunt and that was on a private ranch for exotics which is where I took my aisian water buff and big hog. I am fortunate to live in a state that has a huntable representative of most of the North American big game animals and alot of public hunting land. I hunt Roosevelt and Rocky Mountain Elk, Mule deer, Columbian Blacktail, Cougar, Black Bear, Pronghorn and occasionally turkey on public land and I put in for the draw on Rocky Mountain Goat and Bighorn Sheep but haven't been lucky yet and we also have Columbian Whitetail but I haven't put in for the draw on any of those hunts yet.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28237 04/14/2008 10:11 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm an officer with the Colorado Department of Corrections. I hunt locally and enjoy backpack hunting in wilderness areas. No guided hunts yet, but a river/float trip in Alaska for moose and caribou with either a handgun or bow is my dream hunt.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: What do you do? [Re: tommyn] #28267 04/15/2008 3:19 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
I feel the pain my friend. My Ex. got alot of my retirement and toys or I had to sell my toys to pay her. I miss my ex. only because my scope was off. oops sorry couldn't help it!

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
<><
Re: What do you do? [Re: hunlee] #28271 04/15/2008 3:50 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Formerly Manufacturing Engineering Manager for Textron Marine and Land New Orleans LA. I say formerly because I am on a 2 year stint as a Six Sigma Black Belt (DMAIC Track). Basically I work special projects for the operations group for two years. Fun Stuff. TM&L builds Armored Vehicles (M1117 ASV) Hovercraft (LCAC) and large boats (47’ MLB) for the Navy and Army I have 2 boys and have been hunting with handguns since the late 80’s. I hunt on a budget if you search the net and use networking sites like this one you can have some great hunts on a budget. I hunt an awesome property in Alabama 3 times a year for $212.00 it pays the property tax for an elderly man (great hunting for me tax problem solved for him) Did a 2 day hog hunt early this year for $125 including lodging. I am in the boating mode this time of year but will transfer back to gun mode around September.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28276 04/15/2008 6:48 PM
SS 308 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Network Administrator for a local hospital.

Hunt local...ie Anetelope, Mule Deer, Elk and Moose.

Not as lean, Not as mean, But still a Marine!
Re: What do you do? [Re: SS 308] #28289 04/16/2008 2:31 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Medical equipment sales rep - covering most of the Southeast. Hunt big game, small game, waterfowl, turkey, etc on public and private lands in the Carolinas. Attempt to travel for hunting once a year, hunting with friends, trading hunts, finding DIY deals and saving up!

Had the good fortune of hunting abroad two years ago, when my wife allowed me to pursue my hunting obsession during our marriage and honeymoon in South Africa. Wish I taken my pistols...oh well, hopefully I may return one day (after I pay off the first trip!)

Re: What do you do? [Re: SChunter] #28292 04/16/2008 3:46 PM
Bunk Offline
stranger
stranger
Full time National Guard Technician ( like civil service)this September will be 21 yrs. I work on diesel trucks down to 2kw gas generators. Have not been abroad hunting yet. I hunt here in southeast Alabama with three friends on a 400 acre lease.
Last year was first season hunting with a handgun. Got two nice whitetail bucks. I've just bought a new barrell for my T/C.- a 7mm-08.

Re: What do you do? [Re: Bunk] #28306 04/17/2008 2:31 AM
Slimpickens Ca. Offline
journeyman
journeyman
On staff at a large church here in southern california as a vehicle maintenance administrater. Also on Pisano nitro funnycar team NHRA/NFCA as general maintenance/Bottom end mechanic.

I have hunted elk and deer in Montana. Deer,bear,coyote in california. hopefully this year I will be hunting deer or elk on my buddies ranch in Wyoming. A wife with hopefully kids on the way.
Now as for what do I do? I try to serve the Lord my GOD the best I possibly can! (Thats the Bottom Line)

I'll keep my Faith!
I'll keep my Freedom's
I'll keep my money!
And you can keep the "CHANGE!"
Re: What do you do? [Re: Slimpickens Ca.] #28364 04/19/2008 11:34 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I am a forest fire equipment operator/or fire plow operator if you prefer for the NC Div of Forestry.I get called when things are out of local fd's control.I take a dozer with a plow into the woods up next to the fire and circle it to contain it.I hunt locally in eastern NC and with a friend once a year about middle of NC.Got lots of dreams to hunt Alaska,Mississippi,Alabama,Louisiana,Georgia and Texas.Maybe one day.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28367 04/20/2008 12:03 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Hey, I'm a Project Manager for Merck and Company. I manage to marketed, life saving compound: Isentress (HIV-1) and Emend (Post chemotherapy and operative nausea). I have one son. 1 lovely wife that buys me amny neat toys, and hunt everything that walks or flys. I hunt public land only, including Elk every year. I'm still trying to get Dan B out there with me!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: What do you do? [Re: Revolver] #28404 04/20/2008 9:50 PM
JD HHI 6092 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
MSgt in the U.S.A.F. Will be in 23 years his month. I'm the Cable Program Manager for Space Command.

I lived and hunted in California, Alaska and now Colorado. Did one and only hog hunt when we lived in Turkey and saw their gun handling skills and never went again.

You can say that you support the troops all you want, but your actions speak louder than your words.

MSgt, USAF, (Ret)
Re: What do you do? [Re: JD HHI 6092] #28411 04/20/2008 11:04 PM
SCOTTx88 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm a Union Carpenter/Superintendent,Work in Northern Va. and DC.Love all my guns and hunt most everything we have here.Mostly Deer,Groundhogs and some predators. I was born and raised in Upstate NY (great area/no work though)i've been in Va. for 8 years now. Only complaint is the Sunday hunting thing. Luckily my wife is tolerating my Large Caliber Addiction. \:\)

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” Karl Marx/BHO
Re: What do you do? [Re: SCOTTx88] #28434 04/21/2008 12:11 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
What's a Sunday hunting thing? You can't hunt on Sunday's or not tell after church? signed a Westerner

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
<><
Re: What do you do? [Re: rupe] #28439 04/21/2008 2:49 PM
Slimpickens Ca. Offline
journeyman
journeyman
MaMa ain't happy,ain't nobody happy!!! (grin) Man is head of the house but,the wife is the neck thet turns the head.

I'll keep my Faith!
I'll keep my Freedom's
I'll keep my money!
And you can keep the "CHANGE!"
Re: What do you do? [Re: Slimpickens Ca.] #28441 04/21/2008 4:17 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My Dad has this plaque that reads in big bold letters, “I am the man of this house,” and in very fine print on the bottom it has, “…and I have my wife’s permission to say so.”

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: What do you do? [Re: rupe] #28455 04/21/2008 10:01 PM
SCOTTx88 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Can't hunt on Sundays in Virginia. They've tried to change it every year that i've been down here so far,but no luck yet. They can give you 100 Deer Tags but if you can only get out on Saturdays it narrows it down.Keeping my fingers crossed.Maryland just started letting you hunt on sundays on private land last year,gives me some hope anyway.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” Karl Marx/BHO
Re: What do you do? [Re: SCOTTx88] #28456 04/21/2008 11:00 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Scott, you just need to get a job like mine.
I'm a pastor & work Sunday so Iget Monday off \:\)

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: What do you do? [Re: Vance in AK.] #28495 04/22/2008 8:08 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Thanks Scott.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
<><
Re: What do you do? [Re: rupe] #28499 04/22/2008 8:56 PM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
I'm a machinest/toolmaker. I work for a military subcontractor.We make lightweight portable communication systems for the gov't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod