Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Good day out #28822 05/04/2008 2:22 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I haven't been getting out much lately because of fuel costs, weather and medical stuff but today I went scouting for bears. I wasn't really into it but I knew I needed to get out and my wife threatened to throw me out if I didn't go. I got up in the hills in a area where I thought I wouldn't have a problem with dirt bikes like last weekend and sure enough I didn't see another sole. I almost immediately spotted some tracks while driving and after checking them out found that they were most likely from a sow and yearling, I also found fresh sign everywhere I went in the way of grazed off grass and demolished stumps. I continued driving to get the lay of the land and had a coyote blow out in front of me but he was in the thick stuff before I could get out of the truck. I was still a little discouraged because I can't get around too well anymore with my back but I finally came into a area that was absolutely beautifull, big clearcuts lots of blocked of logging roads that aren't too steep. I was starting to run out of light and figured I'd better start finding my way out but I will be there tomorrow with my predator calls in hand. I had one final treat on the way out, I spotted something out of place on a steep hillside coming up from a stream and as I watched a monster Roosevelt bull emerged. I realized quickly that he was massive in the body, and his antlers are still very immature but he already was a 4x4 with 10" brow tines and he was every bit of a 1000lbs. I would guess he will easily be a 6x6 this year if not bigger, we have alot of 7x+ bulls taken around here every year. I'll let you guys know if I have any luck tomorrow but even if I don't kill anything if tomorrow is half as good as today it will be worth it.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Good day out [Re: wapitirod] #28825 05/04/2008 2:56 AM
Slimpickens Ca. Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Rod, sounds like good times. keep us updated.

I'll keep my Faith!
I'll keep my Freedom's
I'll keep my money!
And you can keep the "CHANGE!"
Re: Good day out [Re: Slimpickens Ca.] #28826 05/04/2008 3:53 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Best of luck tomorrow Rod, & have fun.
Needless to say I'm "working" tomorrow, & it's also the wife's b-day, so I'll have to wait until Monday to play.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Good day out [Re: Vance in AK.] #28838 05/04/2008 9:55 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I am glad you got out Rod. I hope you have the chance to shoot something tomorrow. It is always nice to get out!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Good day out [Re: TCTex.] #28841 05/04/2008 10:24 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Rod, Will you take me along if I carry your guns??? I would have probably had a heart attack seeing that monster step into the open......it would be hard to find a Roosevelt elk much bigger.
I remember reading an old article by Jeff Copper listing what he thought were top trophies for a handgun hunter and Roosevelt elk
was one of them. Give em hell.....James

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Good day out [Re: jamesfromjersey] #28842 05/05/2008 1:11 AM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Well Rod must still be out there. He still has about 2 1/2 or so of light. Hope you had some good luck today buddy. Wish I was out there with you.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Good day out [Re: rupe] #28844 05/05/2008 3:20 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
well just got in, no bears but I saw another coyote but couldn't get a shot but it was about 60' out and clear so it was a great day just to be out.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Good day out [Re: wapitirod] #28845 05/05/2008 5:38 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
James if you pack out the animal you can come.lol. I know a guy that shot a 7x9 a few years ago and they got over 700lbs of meat, thats as big as a mature rocky mountain bull, gives a whole new meaning to big dosn't it.

Re: Good day out [Re: wapitirod] #28848 05/05/2008 7:29 AM
Revolver Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
James if you pack out the animal you can come.lol. I know a guy that shot a 7x9 a few years ago and they got over 700lbs of meat, thats as big as a mature rocky mountain bull, gives a whole new meaning to big dosn't it.

Reminds me of my dad telling me about an elk his friend shot in MT 2 seasons ago, and he was saying "the one elk weighed more in meat than the 4 deer we killed..." Funny, I couldnt imagine doing an elk hunt by yourself, I could, but after the shot...not my idea of fun...lol

I have more guns than I need, but not nearly as many as I want...
Re: Good day out [Re: Revolver] #28860 05/05/2008 4:33 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My only elk hunt was in 1994. I lost 20lbs in 5 days climbing the Wasatch Mts.of northern Utah. I was 44 at the time and could hold my own,however, if I had to pack that animal out today.....
you may as well dig a hole and stick me in it. BUT WAIT......I
just had a vision of Rod loading his 475 and turning around and
not 30 yards away is that 7x7 standing broadside...........

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Good day out [Re: jamesfromjersey] #28863 05/05/2008 7:47 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I hope your vision included him standing and dropping in the road so we can back the truck up to him.lol

Re: Good day out [Re: wapitirod] #28869 05/06/2008 12:52 AM
bare-hunter Offline
journeyman
journeyman
for alittle back strap Iam only a call away.But I will still be alot of work. well shot on the road does sound better some of those tillamook canyons where made for 20 year olds.

MB
Re: Good day out [Re: bare-hunter] #28877 05/06/2008 2:43 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
The coast range is for the young and strong. I don't even look that way anymore. It's just to steep and to thick. My hat goes off to anyone that hunts those mountains hard. I get tired just thinking about hunting them. LOL

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod