Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Interactive Edition #29458 05/24/2008 1:10 AM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
I would like some feedback on the interactive edition. How do you all feel about the font size, length of stories, content, etc. Any and all comments welcome; I want to improve it and give you the content you want to read.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Gary] #29460 05/24/2008 2:23 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Awesome Gary, looks just like the printed magazine. I have not read it all yet, but I will.

Font size is good on my laptop, I'm running Windows XP.

Picture are beautiful like always.

Lenght of stories, well I could read handgun hunting stories for hours so I guess they could be longer. LOL<LOL

Content, great!

OK, couple of questions.

Is this how we are going to get the magazine "on line"? Or is it going to come to us on a CD?

If we want to print it out on paper to read what is the best program/format to keep it looking like the printed magazine?

Is there more for this issue?

How offten will you do an issue?

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Tigger] #29463 05/24/2008 6:12 AM
Score Guy Offline
Where do I go and/or how do I view this?

B&C Assoc./Official Measurer
P&Y Assoc./Official Measurer
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Score Guy] #29465 05/24/2008 11:36 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Look in the top right hand corner of the side bar. You will see a small magazine with the pages flipping. Just click on it and it opens a new window with the cover of the magazine and a tool bar across the top. You can flip thru the pages of the magazine or jump around in it with the nenu bar.

When I first clicked the magazine I got a pop-up blocker alert. Just click to allow the pop-up, then reclick the magazine and it comes right up.

Hope this helps!!

NRA Life Member

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Gary] #29470 05/24/2008 1:37 PM
bowmag Offline
Gary, I just flipped through it rather quickly and I am amazed at the quality of the photographs and lay-out. Every bit as good as the printed editions.
One question - page two and three appear to be advertisements but nothing shows up. Are they blank or is it a problem on this end?
Ya done good. Thank you for all your efforts.
Now to settle down and do some reading.

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: bowmag] #29471 05/24/2008 1:44 PM
Score Guy Offline
Okay, duh, that would be where it says "interactive edition" above it. Thanks Tigger!

B&C Assoc./Official Measurer
P&Y Assoc./Official Measurer
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: bowmag] #29474 05/24/2008 2:19 PM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: bowmag
Gary, I just flipped through it rather quickly and I am amazed at the quality of the photographs and lay-out. Every bit as good as the printed editions.
One question - page two and three appear to be advertisements but nothing shows up. Are they blank or is it a problem on this end?
Ya done good. Thank you for all your efforts.
Now to settle down and do some reading.

Those 2 pages & one in the back are so I can insert advertising if I can get this thing sponsored. That is one thing good about digital, I can place advertising there after the magazine is "published".

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Gary] #29476 05/24/2008 2:31 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
gary.....being completely honest....i'm not sure i like it all that much. the "looks" n pics etc are great for sure. i just wasn't crazy about sliding the thing around to read, or zooming etc to be able to see. maybe i'm just not used to it yet, or was just rushed. maybe i'll have to reread it again.....lol.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: KYODE] #29478 05/24/2008 2:47 PM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
Kyode, What resolution is your monitor?

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Gary] #29480 05/24/2008 3:03 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Gary,
Of course, it is different than a hard copy, but it is the next best thing. I read the Aoudad article with deep interest and was not distracted in any way.
Some articles should be longer if it is more in depth by nature whereas others will be shorter to cover the topic sufficiently. I would say use the length that the article topic demands or break it into a two part or three part series if needed.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Tigger] #29481 05/24/2008 3:54 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Tigger
Is this how we are going to get the magazine "on line"? Or is it going to come to us on a CD?

If we want to print it out on paper to read what is the best program/format to keep it looking like the printed magazine?

I had the same questions.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: pab1] #29485 05/24/2008 7:00 PM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
This is how you're going to get it. I don't think I'm going to offer a CD because you would get the same thing that you can currently download via the tools menu so unless there is some aspect that I'm missing I don't think offering a CD is worth the trouble.

To print the magazine my suggestion would be to download the pdf file and then send it to your desktop printer. If you wanted to preserve a magazine format of two sided pages I'm sure you could take it staples or kinkos and have them print it two sided.

For the remainder of 2008 I am going to try and produce this monthly. In 2009 it may be 12 issues or 8. Honestly things are generally pretty slow this time of year as far as hunting is concerned, we'll just have to see how it goes.

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Gary] #29486 05/24/2008 9:42 PM
geo01 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I ended up downloading the magazine to my computer and then printed it out. If you go through your printer preferences you should be able to print odd pages first & then even pages next. This should allow you to end up with a double sided page like a magazine. I then bought a display folder, with clear inserts, and some heavier grade paper so that it will last the many readings that it will have to put up with. I still think it is great magazine and a credit to Gary for putting it together. It looks like I'm going to have to buy my folders & paper in bulk for the upcoming issues. Can't wait!!

Geo

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: geo01] #29487 05/24/2008 10:09 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I didn’t even try to read it. I downloaded I, printed it out, and then put it in my NEW Handgun Hunter folder. THEN it was a great read.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: TCTex.] #29495 05/25/2008 2:22 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm going to do the same, quality paper and a good print job. You are right with a little practice you can print odd pages then turn them around in the printer and get the other side right.

Gary, don't rush to get out something every month. Just quality when you can. I would rather take my time every other month, or every 3 months to print a 50-60 page magazine then try and remember to print 10-20 pages each month and get behind or forget. Then play catchup. Just my thoughts.

Also wondering what you are going to do to keep track of subscriptions?? Just let me know what and where to send the funds as you get this figured out. \:\)

NRA Life Member

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Tigger] #29496 05/25/2008 2:32 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
1024 x 768 pixels.....if i looked correctly. 15" gateway flatscreen....several yrs old now.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: KYODE] #29533 05/26/2008 11:22 AM
Crew Dawg Offline
I love it, except for the part were i click it and it zooms in. But thats me being heavy handed with a mouse. My particuler favorite was the Audad hunt. Nice xp-100, from the look of the brake. I expected a lot bigger than 308. Great photographs and nicely writen. You have a heck of a finnished product there.

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Crew Dawg] #29573 05/27/2008 7:24 AM
Danie Offline
stranger
stranger
Gary

The Edition looks good and fine to read. The picture quality is excellent. Keep up the good work.

“Eventually everyone DIES but not everyone LIVES while ALIVE”

http://www.handgunhuntersa.com
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Ernie] #29578 05/27/2008 1:34 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Very nice enjoyed the article on the 50's.And the predator also.Thanks for such a thing.What would us gun/hunting nuts do without you!Love to read about those 50's but will NEVER own one.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Ernie] #29579 05/27/2008 3:37 PM
Iowa hunter Offline
I wish the articles were longer. There really isn't alot out there on handgun hunting. So I could read these for hours. Took alittle to get used to moving things around but overall pretty good.

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Iowa hunter] #29588 05/27/2008 11:08 PM
Mikewin Offline
addict
addict
A great read! I liked reading it on the screen (I run Mac OS X, worked superbly) but I ended up printing it anyway. I dislike double-sided prints, at least if paper is not magazine quality, so I did it one-sided and then used a thermal binding machine to keep it together between plastic covers. And then I realize I'm reading the physical version only....

and yes, the audad article was cool, although I slightly fail to see the point with a 17" XP-100 if you want to enjoy the lesser bulk of handgun, rather than rifle, hunting...;-)

As a European, I prefer my latte in my NRA coffee mug
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Mikewin] #29593 05/28/2008 12:06 AM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Another work of art. I agree with the previous sentiment of quality over quantity. From previous experience, a monthly publication soon becomes a monster demanding that it be fed (articles). Quarterly might be a better idea for starters.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Sawfish] #29620 05/28/2008 4:12 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Gary when I click on the mag. in the right had corner, it tells me it can find the post. There is a little green lock just above the pic. of the mag. turning pages, it's locked? I got the Email and I was able to open it there but when I zoom in, I can't get the full page to come up. I can only read about 3/4 of the page. It won't drag up anymore. Is this my computer or am I recieving it wrong? Why can't I get to it from here? I'm sure this is going to be one of the things where I'm going to feel like an idiot , but I have already told everyone that I'm an idiot when it comes to computers anyway.
What I did get to read, I enjoyed it. thanks Gary rupe

Last edited by rupe; 05/28/2008 4:13 PM.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: rupe] #29621 05/28/2008 4:54 PM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
rupe,

I think you're describing a couple different problems.

You have to set your browser to allow popups from handgunhunt.com for the flipping page link to work. The flipping pages open a new window that is set to full screen mode and it gives you a little more screen area to view the magazine.

If you experience a partial page load then refresh the page (hit the F5 key) then it will reload.

If you zoom in then you should be able to hold down the left mouse button and move the page around to see the whole page. This may not work right if the page needs to be refreshed.

Let me know if this solves the problem(s).

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Gary] #29622 05/28/2008 5:14 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Thanks Gary got it. Looks great, I like it and will print it out once I get my printer working. Again Thanks alot, maybe someday I will figure this machine out. (I doubt it) \:D Thanks again, Rupe

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: rupe] #29690 05/30/2008 3:16 AM
JV64 Offline
stranger
stranger
I'm finding that when I click on the thumb nail photo's a page with the bear target and man show up but in the mag page (8). you don't get the same page?? I tryed getting the page and it show's up as the photo with the bear head in the upper part of the page and you can not get the thumb nailed page?
Just a note.
The mag is great and the photo's are of #1 in all aspects
GREAT JOB!
PS tell Larry to get with the program and write some of his hunt's as well!!
Jim

Last edited by JV64; 05/30/2008 3:23 AM.
Re: Interactive Edition [Re: JV64] #29696 05/30/2008 2:59 PM
Gary Offline OP
Distinguished Master
OP Offline
Distinguished Master
JV64, That's not something I'm seeing. It could be that your browser's cache is fouled up. Clear the cache and try it again.

Re: Interactive Edition [Re: Gary] #29726 05/31/2008 4:09 PM
jajwrigh Offline
journeyman
journeyman
It looks good! I enjoyed reading it without have to have another paper magazine laying around here.

One shot, one kill.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod