Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Happy Memorable Day #29549 05/26/2008 6:17 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Happy Memorable Day to all!! Especially those who have served this great country. I finally have a day off tomorrow. I have had the honor and privilege of playing ALL weekend. I now know why I have a job!!!!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: TCTex.] #29552 05/26/2008 7:59 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I took a few minutes this AM to remember, here in Buffalo.
My daughter marched with the High School band and the Legion in the Memorila Day Parade. She plays the flute. My youngest son marched with the Cub Scouts in Andover, NY. Buddy the middle son marched with the Boy Scouts over in Greenwood NY. I'm proud of my kids to march and honor the day. It's great the relatives back home support that, and got the kids around.

Never Forget

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: Tigger] #29555 05/26/2008 9:27 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've got my uncles Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and CIB. (the first two awarded posthumously). I have them where I see them every day but today like veterans day makes them stand out a little more. He was killed in '67 in Nam, he volunteered to go and was a member of the 7th Cav. 1st Air Cav Div. and although I haven't been able to find out where it is I was told he also was awarded the Silver Star.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: wapitirod] #29557 05/27/2008 1:30 AM
Score Guy Offline
My late father served aboard the USS Converse in WWII in the South Pacific. Our community just erected a Veterans Monument in front of our courthouse and his name is listed there for all to see for eternity. I'm very proud of this. This was also the first Memorial Day since the passing of one of my best friends since his untimely death last July. He was 44. I'll always miss him until I see him again.

B&C Assoc./Official Measurer
P&Y Assoc./Official Measurer
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: Score Guy] #29561 05/27/2008 3:05 AM
SS 308 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Don't forget the reason for the holiday!

Semper Fi Devil Dogs!!!

Not as lean, Not as mean, But still a Marine!
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: SS 308] #29563 05/27/2008 3:11 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Amen SS308. I had an uncle that was wounded in WWII near Bastone and received a Silver Star and Purple Heart. I also had a Great Uncle who was killed on Saipan.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: Gary] #29566 05/27/2008 3:47 AM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
We played at a Harley Davidson shop for about 500 people. They were doing the “Run For The Wall.” The Lt. Governor of Mississippi was there along with 4 Medal of Honor recipients. It was very humbling.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: TCTex.] #29618 05/28/2008 3:42 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
My father fought in WWII both in Europe and in the South Pacific as a bozuka triggerman. I have had 4 uncles that served in WWII. They all made it back thank God. My father in law (Ret. Military)fought in Vietnam and my brother in law fought(Will Retire Military) in Iraq. Both returned. I'm a Southeast Asian vet. With my wife being a military brat, I am up to my ears in military. This past weekend we drove upto Washington State to vist the In laws. My Father in law took me on to McCord Air Force Base and showed me around. Well we were sitting on a 2 foot cement wall when the horn sounded for the evening lowering of the flag (forget what it's call now) but as soon at the horn blue I jumped up and stood at attention with hat removed and hand over my heart withn in a 1/2 a second, bad back cane and all. My father in law couldn't believe how fast I could move and asked how long it had been sense I had heard that? I said 29 years, we both had a good laugh thinking that after all these years that I would jump up and stand at attention for the Star spangled banner and that one doesn't forget that automatic response just like it was yesterday. I also looked over my shoulder to see if a Master at Arms was going to come up and make me go get a hair cut. LOL

I want to say thank you to all that have served and that are serving in our military. And a special thank you to those that gave thier lives to protect our country. God Bless them all!

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: TCTex.] #29732 05/31/2008 7:53 PM
Raf Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: TCMan
Happy Memorable Day to all!! Especially those who have served this great country. I finally have a day off tomorrow. I have had the honor and privilege of playing ALL weekend. I now know why I have a job!!!!!!

I understand that you intensions are pure, but there is nothing to be happy about on memorial day. This is a day of rememberance for the fallen veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Today most people forget this and think of it as a day to play and have fun. If that is what you wish to do and dishonor our fallen vets, that is what they died for.

Tcman, don't look at this as a scolding, it is not. I only want you to observe the day for what it was meant to be. Have a solemn day.

Just Another Voice in the Crowd!
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: Raf] #29745 06/01/2008 3:45 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Raf,

Not to stick my nose into this I just want to clear things up. I know you are new here, so you might not realize this. TC man is a Navy Musician and what he meant by playing all weekend was he was playing in the Navy band for all the ceremonies. \:\)

Hope this helps, all here are great guys with the best of intentions. \:\)

TIGGER \:\)

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: Tigger] #29755 06/01/2008 3:37 PM
Raf Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Well I guess that makes it even more sadder. This is not a day to honor the living, but to honor the dead. I don't think I can make it any clearer. And as an active duty member he should have been taught about the day. I would thin the only musical instrument being played on this day would be a bugle playing taps!

I spent 26 yrs in the Air Force and way back in 1966, basic, I was taught the meaning of this solemn day and why I should honor those that made it possible for me to experience my personal freedoms.

I don't want to start a problem here, just want to inform those that don't understand that this is not the the day that we celibrate the official openning of summer season, Nascar racing, or the Indy 500. This country is loosing it's sense of identity. Our kids get government educations from teachers who can't teach or were taught by idiot professors who seem to want to change history and society to fit their own norms.

Sorry, I just get a little bitter about how our way of life is going down the drain.

And when it comes to this day I wouldn't take the attitude that I am old fashion. When it comes to this day the real meaning nevers goes out of fashion.

Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: Raf] #29772 06/02/2008 7:05 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
I think playing in a military band at events that Honor those that have fallen is a great way to Honor those that were taken away from us. I think TCMAN knows what the day is about more then most of us. The Honor to play for all the different Memorial (something designed to keep remembrance alive) services would be showing that he does know this. Those of us that have served in the military know how many different Memorial services they have and how they are conducted. Flags, speakers, bands, and prayers. Listening to the Star Spangled Banner is just as important as Taps to those that served and that are serving. Those that died in battle are remembered and Honored through his music. He is serving and remembering them with Honor. Thank you TCMAN! You deserve a day off to do what ever you do to relax. God Bless all those that are in uniform and doing thier part.

You are right Raf, our country is going down hill fast. So many have no idea what they are doing to our Country. They don't care to know. They are to wraped up in thier own little world to see what others have done for them and given them the freedom to have those 3 day weekends. No one seems to care about our history and how we won the freedoms. The teachers all want to help but they don't know how to help. They have let thier own opinions and beliefs disrupt thier teaching instead of teaching what needs to be taught. The truth! Our country needs to remember the past in order to go into the future as the worlds most free and powerful country. Sorry for getting on the soapbox. I just hate seeing what is happening to our country and how it is falling short of what it should be. I don't care if people have BBQ's and campouts or parties, just as long as in thier hearts they remember those that died so they could have those events.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
<><
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: rupe] #29782 06/03/2008 2:58 AM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I think you are both right. We played 30 min of prelim just because we were asked. We played double taps or “grand taps” that involves two trumpets at the end of the ceremony. We ate BBQ after the ceremony and it was all-good. The hardest thing I did was playing the Star Spangled Banner!!!! It really hit me when a Medal of Honor winner with only one arm was crying at the end of the Anthem, it hurt. My job has been on the cutting block by all the bean counters so many times it isn’t funny. But I have been told every time the 07’s, 08’s, 09’s, and yes 010’s ALWAYS instantly say NO! Now I know why. I never considered what I do very important. My Grandfather was a highly decorated war hero, something I now I will never be in my occupation. I know now that I give more hope to our fine service members than I ever thought. Playing for ship arrivals is fun. Playing for change of commands and retirement ceremonies is good. Watching Medal of Honor winner, Wind talkers, Tiskusky airmen, sorry for the spelling, and disabled vets STAND for my flag and the playing of the national Anthem, painful! I think one of the speakers at that ceremony put it best when he said this, “We are here to make sure that the valor of the great men and women that have given their lives for this great country is not forgotten. We are here to make sure that every one who puts their life on the line for this country knows that will not be forgotten. That is the reason we are here today.”

Benjamin Franklin
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: TCTex.] #29785 06/03/2008 5:39 AM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Amen!

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
<><
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: rupe] #29787 06/03/2008 7:23 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I agree, you know TC you could always opt for the SEAL striker program, you would basicly go in as a non des, unless they let you keep your MU rating and rank, I think you'd like seal training, lots of fun in the sun and they get lots of medals.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: wapitirod] #29790 06/03/2008 11:07 AM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Your funny Rod! Hehe Haha! LOL

Benjamin Franklin
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: TCTex.] #29793 06/03/2008 11:57 AM
Raf Offline
journeyman
journeyman
TCman never sell yourself short. Everyone, no matter what your specialty, is important to the efforts at hand. Everyone plays an important part for the mission to be completed.

As to your playing, I took it to mean litterally and didn't know you played in a military band. I guess I got a little incessed over the word happy being applied to memorial day. I hear this on TV and it gets under my skin.

Sometimes I end up going over the edge on all the crap going on today. I feel like that guy in that movie about TV news casters and he goes off and tells everyone, "I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore."

No hard feelings pal! Shoot straight and be safe. ;\)

Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: Raf] #29806 06/03/2008 10:09 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
The problem is we can't seem to get anyone in office that cares what's happening, and it doesn't matter how mad I get I seem to have to take it whether I like it or not. Sucks doesn't it.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
<><
Re: Happy Memorable Day [Re: rupe] #29809 06/03/2008 11:23 PM
TCTex. Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Raf, I am glad you have such strong feelings for the great country. I wouldn’t have it any other way, especially from a USAFR!!

Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod