Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? #29591 05/27/2008 11:30 PM
Mikewin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I'm considering a whitetail hunt in VA this fall (or the next, or both). As a handgun hunting newbie and never having hunted in North America before I need an outfitter. I've been in contact with one in Luray, VA (Long's outfitters, http://www.longsoutfitters.com/index.html) which seems fine if not particularly cheap ($900 for a three day hunt, including all trophy fees and most meat processing but not lodging). Anybody here that knows something about this operation? Or any other good VA outfitter? I've been in bilateral contact with Gary about this one but he did not have any particular knowledge.

I'll be hunting with a long-barreled, scoped, and heavily customized m/29 .44mag (soon ready, according to the gunsmith here who's been working on it since March ) and I would prefer shots within a hundred yards. Stand hunting is fine.

As a European, I prefer my latte in my NRA coffee mug
Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: Mikewin] #29626 05/28/2008 6:26 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Mike,

No offense to Gary, but are you limited to only VA for travel/work reasons? Are you open to other options and states for the hunt?

I imagine some of the members could shed some more light on other options in the Southeast/Northeast/Mid-Atlantic/Midwest etc...

Dur

Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: SChunter] #29627 05/28/2008 7:05 PM
Mikewin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Dur,

I visit the Washington, DC area very regularly - at least twice a year - for business reasons so extending a business trip with three vacation days of hunting would be easy. And the Shenandoah Valley is only an hour and a half from DC. Would love to hunt in e.g. South Carolina as well - I'm very fond of the southeastern seacoast, as well as the northeastern one, despite the differences - but I need to start somewhere. And VA is the most convenient.

Mike

Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: Mikewin] #29648 05/29/2008 1:54 AM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Cabela's has a deal where they will help you plan a hunt. They have outfitters that they work with and most of your homework is done for you. The check them out before hand. It's may cost you alittle more but it might be worth it for a 3 day hunt. I've never used an outfitter or guide so I am just trying to give you some options. http://www.cabelas.com Doesn't hurt to see what they can offer you.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: rupe] #29660 05/29/2008 11:25 AM
Mikewin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
rupe,

thanks! the deals at Cabela's seem interesting but quite pricey. I need to go to a Cabela's anyway, since I believe they sell pretty good hunting gear (clothing etc). have been trying to find a single place with the best and widest selection of quality camo sets etc and Cabela's seem to be better than e.g. Bass Pro. Any advice on this would be valuable as well.

mike

Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: Mikewin] #29683 05/29/2008 11:48 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
Send for one of thier catalogs. Their big spring one and then thier shooting and reloading one. Like I said they are not the cheapest but they do sell alot of different stuff. I have a wish list as long as your arm of stuff I want to buy from them that I haven't seen anywhere else.
They finally built one about 3 hours away and I went to it last weekend. It was great. Just to see all the animal mounts in there was cool. Plus both Mrs. Rupe and I tried on some camo coats that we saw in the catalog and found out what size fit us the best. Worth going to see if nothing else.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: rupe] #29762 06/02/2008 1:14 AM
My9mmM4 Offline
stranger
stranger
Hello Mike!
Take it from me, STAY FAR AWAY from LONGS OUTFITTERS!!!

Jim

Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: My9mmM4] #29766 06/02/2008 11:18 AM
Mikewin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: My9mmM4
Hello Mike!
Take it from me, STAY FAR AWAY from LONGS OUTFITTERS!!!

Jim

Hi Jim,

would you elaborate a little on that? Send me a message if you wish.

Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: Mikewin] #29770 06/02/2008 5:15 PM
My9mmM4 Offline
stranger
stranger
Hi Mike, I sent you a PM.

Jim

Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: Mikewin] #29969 06/10/2008 6:15 PM
Lowe Offline
If you can choose another state how about Kentucky lots of public land with big deer especially out in western Kentucky we are 3 or 4 in B@C deer per year, hard summer last year though. AN out of state deer permit and hunting licnese is under 300

Re: Deer handgun hunting in Virginia? [Re: Lowe] #30011 06/11/2008 10:32 PM
Mikewin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: Lowe
If you can choose another state how about Kentucky lots of public land with big deer especially out in western Kentucky we are 3 or 4 in B@C deer per year, hard summer last year though. AN out of state deer permit and hunting licnese is under 300

Would love to go to Kentucky as well, but need some whitetail experience and VA is closer to where I am on business regularly. But I'll remember Kentucky. Know any good outfitter in western KY?

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod