Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Adjustable Scope Advice #2672 06/24/2004 4:19 PM
od463 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Need some help guys. I currently own only fixed power scopes of 2X and 4X for my Contender. I'm considering buying a variable scope for my 223 and 7-30 Waters and don't know which to buy. I know the old adage of "Ya get what you pay for" but wonder if I could get by with slightly less than top-of-line and still be satisfied. I'd love to have the Leopold 2.5 x 8 but the cost is pretty high. I've seen some of your forum messages concerning the Simmons 2 x 6 and the Weaver 2.5 x 8 and wonder if they'll do the job of maintaining zero and good performance in low light conditions. The Burris 3 x 9 is also a consideration but a more middle of the road cost between those mentioned and the Leopold. Any suggestions or lessons learned???
Michael

Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: od463] #2673 06/24/2004 4:59 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I'm assuming you plan on buying two scopes but you may want to consider getting one scope and the Warne detachable rings & bases. If you mostly shoot the 223 in the summer for varmints and the 7x30 in the fall/winter for deer this may work for you. Also, the Burris 3x9 is no longer made. It died when the 3x12 came out. Burris is only middle of the road when it comes to price. For a single shot it's probably the best choice, more power and better field of view than any other brand. I can't speak for the weaver or simmons I don't own either. Another good scope to consider for the money is the Bushnell Elite 3200 2x6.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: od463] #2674 06/24/2004 8:42 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
well....we all have our preferences, and i'm not the grand pooh-pa of scopes er nuthin , but i'll give some thoughts.

i agree 100% with gary. the burris scopes are cheaper in price, but not in quality(imo). i have a leupold 2.5x8 that i bought used for a fair price. i would not give $400 for a new one.....no way....no how! not when i could get a 3x12, or 2x7 burris for less.
by the way, i do have both models of burris variables. i think the 2x7 model is super for a "deer gun", and likewise the 3x12 model is super for a "target/varmint gun", and will also work well on a "deer gun".
the 3x12 model has as much, or more field of view on 3x, as any other on the market.
the 2x7 model is really handy in close quarters(brush), or picking up on moving game, with it's 21' wide field of view(on 2x)
these 2 scopes would be my first choice for your barrels..."in need".
you'd have about $550+ or so invested for both......or like gary mentioned, just use one of your choice with quick detach rings. i always want a scope on every barrel though.

now....i can't always afford what i WANT. i do have a simmons 2x6 pro hunter on my 14" 44mag. doin good so far, and worth the money($120)to me. field of view cannot compare to a burris though.

havn't used the weaver, but i know people that have it, and like it just fine.

i reckon i personally put scopes in 2 classes......burris....and then, everything else. i can and do use both classes, but if i can get a burris without having to... ... rob a bank, er sumthin....thats what i'll do.
just a note: the burris scopes do shorten up in eye relief as you turn up the power. i have no problem with this. the simmons....bushnell, etc. do not. they have a constant eye relief thru all powers. i really have no problem with this either, but you may have a preference.
had a TC 2.5x7x28 once upon a time that i liked purty dang good too. might be an option for you to look at also.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: KYODE] #2675 06/24/2004 9:50 PM
od463 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks Gary and Kyode! I appreciate the time to respond. Good info about critical eye relief as power goes up. My concern about Simmons (besides being made in China) is the long term quality and warranty--nice price though. With Scope businesses being bought out left and right (not including Leopold and Burris), I'm wondering if they'll be around for the long haul concerning repairs or replacements. I've been unlucky buying Weaver and Redfields before!!! Call me overly concerned
I also like to have one scope per barrel and would probably keep the variable on the 223 if money gets tight.
I'll be out of pocket till early next week but will respond then to any follow-up. Thanks!

Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: KYODE] #2676 06/24/2004 9:52 PM
Lone Eagle Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I to believe you get what you pay for. If you have the money for the best, go with it. If not, you may want to consider a Ncstar 2x-7x scope for your 223 and buy a better one for the 7-30 Waters. They are under $50.00 and do ok for lite kickers.
I had a 4x on my Striker 243 Win[sold] and I have a 2x-7x on my contender 22rf barrel. So far I have not had any problems with either one.
There have been some reports of failures with the hard kicking calibers but for a 223 they would probly work ok.

Jeff

Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: Lone Eagle] #2677 06/24/2004 11:43 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Have to agree with the guys: you get what you pay for. I have a Leupold 4X on my 480 Ruger. Excellent scope. I droped it in the driveway from about 3' (butterfingers) and put a couple small dings and scratches on it. Took it to the range and everything was fine. I also have a couple Burris scopes, very good quality.

This year I put a rifle scope on my XP 100 in 221 FB (low recoil). It works great, especially the constant eye relief when adjusting power. So if you have a good rifle scope not in use try it on the 223 barrel and see if you like it. Then you only have one pistol scope to buy, and can spend a little more money on it.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: od463] #2678 06/25/2004 1:39 AM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
I have to agree. The route I usually use is buy used. The good scope companies like Leupold, Burris, Bushnell have excellent warranties on their products. Mostly likely lifetime. So you can buy a really high quality scopes for less and if something goes wrong the company will repair it. The burris 3-12x would be excellent on that 223 barrel. Probably a Bushnell Trophy 2-6x would work on the 7-30. Just my 2 cents

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: Tigger] #2679 06/25/2004 1:40 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
great idea tigger! if ya got a riflescope layin around, try it on the .223 before laying down the cash. i like the 4x12 riflescope on my 14" .223.....but, i do shoot a reduced recoil/muzzle blast load with 40gr noslers, and blue dot powder.

i also forgot about the new Swift 2x6x32. supposedly comparable to the bushnell elite. $189 at www.eabco.com
that one may be worth a try! i think it'd be my second choice, if i wanted to go lower middle ground.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: od463] #2680 06/25/2004 1:51 AM
Gman Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have a Burris 3x12 and a Simmons 2x6 and I like them both. I had the 3x12 Burris on my 7/30 Waters. I have a 6mm TCU coming from OTT (some day!) I am going to put the Burris on it. I have the Simmons 2x6 on my 7/30 Waters now and I like it just fine.

Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: od463] #2681 06/25/2004 2:45 AM
DanS Offline
I, like you, have read with great interest the scope choices of the folks here. I'm sure you've seen Gary's article regarding scoping the hunting handgun. I can't say enough about the Burris handgun scopes, and I'm a Leupold guy (for the long things - read: rifles). Gary points out, in earlier posts, Burris' affordability. When you compare other like scopes to the Burris 2x-7x in weight and FOV (2x-21 feet and 7x-7 feet), Burris is superior to even the Leupold. The other 2x-6x/2x-7x options have much poorer FOV, a feature I think is very valuable for a hunting handgun scope. The optics are excellent as well. You'd have a hot setup with Burris' 2x-7x on your 7-30 Waters.
I also have the 3x-12x on a .223 barrel. This scope really mates well with the .223's long distance capabilities. Just got back from Montana shooting PD's past 300 yards with this setup.
Good luck, hope this helps.
Dan

Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: DanS] #2682 06/25/2004 3:19 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Let's look at things a little differently. You stated that you currently have a 2x & 4x Fixed magnification Handgun Scopes. The obvious solution to me would be to buy a 3x12x Burris for the .223 Contender Barrel and use the 4x on the 7-30 Waters for the time being. Then once you get used to variables and higher magnifications (and save up a little in the process) you can opt for a variable for the 7-30 Waters also.

IMHO I think 4x is plenty of magnification for the AVERAGE shot on Deer with a 7-30 Waters. The reason I make that statement is, personally my variable scopes are normally on 4x when deer hunting. Yes I know I have the option of turning the magnification up or down to suit the situation, but in the past 22 years of hunting with Contenders I have shot way more Whitetails on 4x than any other magnification.

To me the 3x12x Burris is made for Varmint Cartridges in which a person is trying to shoot itty bitty targets a long ways away. The other item of note is I always strive for much better accuracy out of my varmint guns, and feel I make better use out of the added magnification

What ever you decide to do, quality glass is never a bad plan, and you will be rewarded with years of service.

Good luck

Larry

PS, yes Prairie Dogs at 300 yards with a Super 14 .223 Contender sporting a 3x12x Burris LER Handgun Scope is indeed possible, and a heck of a lot of fun in the process.

Re: Adjustable Scope Advice [Re: Larry in SD] #2683 06/28/2004 7:48 PM
od463 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks guys for the inputs. Much to think about but I'm leaning towards saving the bucks "for what ya want vice paying for what ya might regret". In my initial forum question, I failed to mention that I have two other T/C barrels (22 Match and 44 Mag) that already have the scopes set up and I hate to keep swapping scopes for the current barrel in use.
After looking at the warranty policy of Leopold, Burris, Bushnell and Simmons--I like the no-fault Forever Warranties of Leopold and Burris. Brings sense of comfort knowin' its there if needed. Now, I baby my weap's just like most of you guys but the occasional accident is never planned.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod