Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Encore cutting my finger #30212 06/17/2008 5:43 PM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
Howdy gents,

It has been kind of discouraging that when I shoot my Encore in .44 Magnum, the edge on the reciever bites into my trigger finger. After thre shots or so, it will start to draw blood. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

What Id like to do is to see about getting that edge bevelled, or something like that.

Thanks in advance

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: SwitchMan] #30216 06/17/2008 6:41 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Hmmm. Wearing a glove would be a cheaper option in the short term. I've shot some pretty big stuff and never had that problem. I wonder if they changed something along the way. Now the screw hole where the screw holds in the trigger will leave a little mark after shooting my 416 for a while but that usually results in a callus and not blood.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: Gary] #30221 06/17/2008 7:33 PM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah its a little strange, and I really dont feel that this sort of thing should be happening.

But, when gripping and shooting the gun, my trigger finger certainly rests against that edge.

Ive used gloves and finger wraps before and those have worked fine. But whenever I don that finger protection, I do so with the objection that says, "I shouldnt require this, just to shoot."

Perhaps a small foam/rubber cushion installed along that edge.

But then again, I also have some discontent to any jerry-rigged modifications one my firearms.

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: Gary] #30222 06/17/2008 7:34 PM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: Gary
Hmmm. Wearing a glove would be a cheaper option in the short term. I've shot some pretty big stuff and never had that problem. I wonder if they changed something along the way. Now the screw hole where the screw holds in the trigger will leave a little mark after shooting my 416 for a while but that usually results in a callus and not blood.

Indeed,

and if Im getting blood just from a .44, I can only imagine I would experience greater pain from shooting something in the likes of the .416 Taylor

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: SwitchMan] #30223 06/17/2008 8:08 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
is it cutting you on the top or bottom of your finger, bottom being the side contacting the trigger

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: wapitirod] #30233 06/17/2008 9:47 PM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
is it cutting you on the top or bottom of your finger, bottom being the side contacting the trigger

Well, it cuts on the right side of the finger, which when shooting, faces up and makes contact with the receiver.

You know, Im also not above admitting if Im doing it wrong and shooting with incorrect technique. However, I just never seem to get that sort of bite from my Contender.

Last edited by SwitchMan; 06/17/2008 9:48 PM.
Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: SwitchMan] #30236 06/17/2008 10:20 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
thats a weird one. I only shoot contenders and revolvers and my revolvers bust knuckles but the only thing that comes to mind is I've heard some of the guys talk about the reach on the encore being longer. I'd think the receiver would be moving away from your finger on recoil and if anything the trigger guard would bite you but maybe one of the guys that shoots encores regularly can be of more help.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: wapitirod] #30241 06/18/2008 12:05 AM
larry223 Offline
addict
addict
i shoot encores more with more recoil and i dont have that
problem i dont have any idea of what to tell you on a fix but
that does take all the fun out of it. sorry i cant help

tc,s 223 35rem 7-30 waters 6.5jdj 375
30/30ai 6mm/223 22lr
encores 7mm-08 308
redhawk 44mag.
Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: larry223] #30242 06/18/2008 12:27 AM
MIfarmer Offline
stranger
stranger
Exactly how are you holding your gun? I usually hold mine with both hands, my left hand on the grip, (I'm a lefty) and my right hand cupped under-around my left. The spur on the trigger guard that is uesd break the action will sometimes "bite" me if I get lazy with my grasp.

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: larry223] #30243 06/18/2008 12:28 AM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
Additionally, this occurred while using both the standard T/C wood grips, and the T/C rubber grips.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I am interested in eventually trying out those new Pachmayr grips to see how that works.

But yeah, its weird. Everyday people shoot Encores chambered inso many chamberings that have way more recoil than the .44Mag. But yet they never experience this sort of thing.

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: larry223] #30244 06/18/2008 12:30 AM
lhunter03 Offline
addict
addict
Thats funny I read this cause my buddie's 44 mag G2 does the same thing.Heck you can only shoot it a little before it hurts too much. We changed his load down from 300 gn xtp ,to 180 gn half jacket. It's tollerable now. But it didn't matter how you held it , it bit you anyway. My contender has no efect ,even with my 375 win. Maybe the grips put your finger in a strange place . Other than that I have no more advice . Currios to here what you do to fix this problem.

Lars

Lars

.357 maxi, .375 win, 30-30 ackley, .450 marlin, and anything else that goes boom!!!
Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: MIfarmer] #30245 06/18/2008 12:33 AM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: MIfarmer
Exactly how are you holding your gun? I usually hold mine with both hands, my left hand on the grip, (I'm a lefty) and my right hand cupped under-around my left. The spur on the trigger guard that is uesd break the action will sometimes "bite" me if I get lazy with my grasp.

Well I usually hold it in one hand with the barrel pointing over my shoulder, while holding a mirror in my other hand.

he he he heh e.....no just kidding.

No actually, I experience it most when using the hold that you just described. But I also get it sometimes when sandbagging it as well. Leads me to believe that maybe my finger is pressed more firmly against that edge when shooting offhand, than when rested. As if that trigger finger might be supporting some of the weight.

Or maybe its because I have small hands and short fingers.

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: lhunter03] #30246 06/18/2008 12:35 AM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: lhunter03
Thats funny I read this cause my buddie's 44 mag G2 does the same thing.Heck you can only shoot it a little before it hurts too much. We changed his load down from 300 gn xtp ,to 180 gn half jacket. It's tollerable now. But it didn't matter how you held it , it bit you anyway. My contender has no efect ,even with my 375 win. Maybe the grips put your finger in a strange place . Other than that I have no more advice . Currios to here what you do to fix this problem.

Lars

I dont have it with me right now but Im pretty sure that the older Contenders have a bevelled edge on the recievers.

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: SwitchMan] #30247 06/18/2008 12:39 AM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
Im kinda thinking that maybe the thing to do would run a bead of clear silicone along that edge.

Id hate to do something like that, but, it may have enough cushion without making any permanent alterations to the gun itself.

I dont know, I cant try anything for about another year til I get back to the states.

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: SwitchMan] #30249 06/18/2008 1:10 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I guess from what you are describing, all I can imagine is that you hand is way to high on the frame. Like you are stretching you finger around to reach under to get to the trigger. Then recoil is shoving the frame into that finger.??

The frame and grip are larger on the encore and people with short fingers find their hand is beside the grip frame instead of behind the grip where it should be just to reach the trigger.

Not sure if I describe that well. LOL<LOL

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: Tigger] #30251 06/18/2008 1:53 AM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: Tigger
I guess from what you are describing, all I can imagine is that you hand is way to high on the frame. Like you are stretching you finger around to reach under to get to the trigger. Then recoil is shoving the frame into that finger.??

The frame and grip are larger on the encore and people with short fingers find their hand is beside the grip frame instead of behind the grip where it should be just to reach the trigger.

Not sure if I describe that well. LOL<LOL

Well the result sounds about the same, and I have considered the idea that maybe Im gripping wrong. However with the T/C factory rubber grips, Im not sure how a person can grasp the gun any other way than how the rubber grip dictates. The fingers go where the finger grooves are, etc.

This does kinda make me wonder if I should be shooting a different gun. Like maybe an MOA, or an XP-100.

Oh yeah that reminds me, I meant to start another thread about Handguns from Competitor Corp. They seem like fine guns but I can never seem to find one to check out.

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: SwitchMan] #30255 06/18/2008 2:33 AM
pahandgunhunter Offline
do you use the tip of your finger or the middle joint? I am experiencing the same thing. I am shooting off a rest for load work, but when I shoot off hand its seems to be ok. I must hold differently from the rest.

Bill

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: SwitchMan] #30267 06/18/2008 1:01 PM
dant4251 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Switchman, I had the exact same trouble. The stock grips on the encore weren't too large for my hand ,but, they did make the reach for the trigger a bit too far. A switch to the new Pachmayr grips shortened the trigger reach and definitely helped with the problem. I've heard of others who have taken that sharp edge off the frame as well ( of course a blued frame would have to be refinished ) Hope you get it sorted out, I quit shooting my Encore with heavy recoiling calibers until I "found" the Pachmayr grip......Dan

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: dant4251] #30272 06/18/2008 5:49 PM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: dant4251
Switchman, I had the exact same trouble. The stock grips on the encore weren't too large for my hand ,but, they did make the reach for the trigger a bit too far. A switch to the new Pachmayr grips shortened the trigger reach and definitely helped with the problem. I've heard of others who have taken that sharp edge off the frame as well ( of course a blued frame would have to be refinished ) Hope you get it sorted out, I quit shooting my Encore with heavy recoiling calibers until I "found" the Pachmayr grip......Dan

Thanks a bunch Dan,

Tha may very well be the problem. I hope you are correct about the Pachmayr grips, that would be great, and look great too. I will definitely give those a try.

In what way did the other folks you know take the sharp edge off? How did they do it? That would useful to me just in case the new grips dont solve this issue

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: SwitchMan] #30274 06/18/2008 8:17 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I second the Pachmayr’s! They make a night and day difference. I have them on my Contender and Encore pistols.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: SwitchMan] #30276 06/18/2008 10:51 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Poor baby! Don't feel special. My first shot with my unbraked 416 Rigby nearly cleaned the skin off my knuckles on the first shot. It now wears a nice, big fish-gill brake and doesn't hurt nearly as much. Wear a glove with the 44 and you'll have no problem.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: TCTex.] #30283 06/19/2008 12:06 AM
lhunter03 Offline
addict
addict
You know you could use a dremel tool to take the edge off, and use some midway usa, cold blue to touch up the frame. Just a thought. All you need is a steady hand and some patiance.

Lars

Lars

.357 maxi, .375 win, 30-30 ackley, .450 marlin, and anything else that goes boom!!!
Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: lhunter03] #30306 06/19/2008 8:29 PM
jbmabrey Offline
Pachmayr grips, Pro Aim shooting gloves, and a MGM 44 mag with muzzlebrake to replace my tc 44 barrel solved the problem for me.

I used tape and regular shooting gloves for a while. I also found that it occurred after I began to get tired and not concentrate on finger position.
Riding high on the frame seemed to be the culprit for me. blood and cuts every time I shot. The Pro Aim gloves have a plastic insert along the wrist and helps hold your hand straighter. I don't know if it solved the problem totally as I still get sore spot on my trigger finger-but no blood. I don't shoot off hand that much-use some type of rest at the range and in the field. That's where the Pro Aim helps me.
The Pachmayr grips were the best part of the solution.

http://www.pro-aim.com/Pro-Aim.com/Main.html

Re: Encore cutting my finger [Re: jbmabrey] #30310 06/19/2008 9:58 PM
SwitchMan Offline OP
OP Offline
Sounds good,

Thanks fellas, for all the helpful feedback.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod