Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Buying online #30531 06/25/2008 4:20 PM
popeanyoung Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have spotted a handgun on another site at a pretty good deal and its in great shape. I have been considering buying it but am reluctant because I have never bought a gun from an individual via the internet. It would of course be sent FFL to FFL but im still nervous about it. Does this FFL process assure that the guns not stolen, or that its not being looked for in a shooting, or anything like that? Do they run the numbers or anything? Is this a pretty safe process?

He who dies with most toys wins
Re: Buying online [Re: popeanyoung] #30533 06/25/2008 5:28 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
No, it doesn't ensure anything of the sort but buying a used gun from most dealers won't carry any guarantee that it isn't a stolen gun either as far as prequalifications go. It would be a lot easier to get your $$ back from a regular dealer though should something be wrong. I would venture to guess that it is unlikely that a hunting handgun has been used in a shooting though.

Also, unless your dealer requires that it be shipped from another FFL, an individual can ship directly to your FFL dealer. The seller can't ship it to you unless you hold an FFL. However, it is supposed to be shipped overnight to the dealer if coming from a non-FFL holder. You can also request that they ship it FedEX because to ship a firearm with them you're required to have a FedEx account. Assuming the shipper tells them what's in the box.

To feel a little safer, you should consider a couple of things. 1. If the site has a forum, how many posts does the seller have? If it's only a couple that could be a warning sign. If they have any sort of feedback or rating system like gunbroker what is the seller's rating. 2. How are they willing to accept payment? If they will accept electronic payment through a credit card or PayPal then chances are better that it's not a scam and you'll have some recourse if there is a problem with delivery. 3. How much can you find out about the seller? Do they provide a phone number? If you do a reverse number lookup what kind of info do you get back. Is the area code in the geographic area they claim to be in?

California has a new gun law, big surprise, that goes into effect on July 1 that no firearms can be transferred to a dealer in the state unless both parties (as I understand it) have been approved by the California Justice Dept.

Above all else remember the saying, "Let the buyer beware". If something sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Buying online [Re: popeanyoung] #30540 06/25/2008 7:31 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Best thing to do is find an FFL holder that will accept the gun. See what they are willing to do and the state regulations allow them to do. Here in NY any handgun coming into the state HAS to come from an FFL to an FFL.

Next see how much they charge. I have a couple FFL's that I work with and buy from thier shops quite a bit so they only charge me $10-20 per transfer. Some places really like to hang it on. $50.00 or more. And in some ways I can't blame them, with all the hoops they jump thru to keep an FFL and the hassles, paperwork, ect.

Quote:
Does this FFL process assure that the guns not stolen, or that its not being looked for in a shooting, or anything like that?

No it does not but if the gun did turn up as "hot" you would have a paper trail back to the individual it came from, kind of a little cover your assets trail.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Buying online [Re: popeanyoung] #30573 06/26/2008 3:24 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've bought on-line through just about every avenue there is, GunBroker, GunsAmerica, Auction Arms, and a few furums clasifieds including right here. My FFL(s) will only accept from another FFL so that is a given, it is also cheaper to ship through an FFL using USPS, rather than yourself with UPS or FedEx overnight, even with his fee unless he is a thief. Mine charges $25 for outgoing and that includes the postage, $19 for incoming. I don't know why some are greedy, all it is is a phone call and a filed form, they have to have a license to sell their stuff anyway. An FFL is required to run the serial number of any gun he/she transfers to see if stolen or wanted, I know of an instance where a friend couldn't take posession of a pistol that he bought when his FFL got it in. Worse yet he had to confiscate it to turn into the authorities. Dude was out the money, the gun, and the seller claimed ignorence. Not sure if he ever did get any satisfaction there.

I also feel more confident if an FFL is used on the other end. My FFL and the other exchange licenses via FAX so the fact one is in the loop lends credence to the seller. As said, FEEDBACK is everything, or a post count that indicates a long time member of a forum. If you are new to a forum but know some guys fairly well shoot them a PM asking if they know the seller. I often like to engage in a little informal banter about the piece if not familiar with the seller, his demeanor will tell you a lot.

Get pics! Don't buy sight unseen unless a common item.

If at all uneasy, PASS. Or if the price is too good to be true, well you know what they say. I personally have had all good experiences, knock on wood, but exercise due diligence.

Good luck, the first time is the hardest, after a while it becomes old hat.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Buying online [Re: s4s4u] #30577 06/26/2008 4:20 AM
popeanyoung Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So it does prove if stolen or not. Thats good to know. Thanks guys

He who dies with most toys wins
Re: Buying online [Re: popeanyoung] #30580 06/26/2008 4:43 AM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Unless it has changed at the federal level in the last few years not all dealers are required to run a check for stolen property. I know for a fact that the gun shop I used to work in didn't check.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Buying online [Re: Gary] #30582 06/26/2008 6:44 AM
WNY_Whitetailer Offline
I have bought two handguns off of the internet...One from Buds and another off of Gunbroker...Not a problem with either...I had my guns both sent to my FFL a few miles away...$20 later and I was taking the guns home with me. I don't know about purchasing from an individual off of an forum site or something of that nature...Unless they have a good history of such transactions or are a well respected member.

Patience comes with age and you can't teach common sense
Re: Buying online [Re: Gary] #30593 06/26/2008 1:45 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Gary
Unless it has changed at the federal level in the last few years not all dealers are required to run a check for stolen property. I know for a fact that the gun shop I used to work in didn't check.

That may be correct Gary, I guess I can't say for everyone but every one I've gone through has told me that have to. I guess it best to check with your guy before you take that step.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod