Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Has anyone hereScents and lures for black bear? #31951 07/30/2008 4:29 AM
bigbore442001 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Has anyone here ever used a scent or lure to hunt black bear? I see that there are many products such as the Bear Bomb,Deer Stix Bear lure and others. Has anyone here have any sort of luck using them? In addition, I have heard of some people using what is called a honey burn. I'd appreciate your help.

Re: Has anyone hereScents and lures for black bear? [Re: bigbore442001] #31957 07/30/2008 5:39 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've heard good things about the bear bomb but all such things are illegal in Oregon now. I used to have good luck just saving bacon grease before the season and when I'd go out I'd warm it up back to a liquid and poor it on a stump. I've had several bears come in that way.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Has anyone hereScents and lures for black bear? [Re: wapitirod] #31993 07/30/2008 8:01 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Be sure to consult your state's laws before using anything that could be termed a bait, or "attractant" for bears. Most states that do not allow hunting over bait, usually have restrictive laws re: bear lures. If it is legal in your area, I would definitely recommend using a commercial or home made preparation.
I believe that one manufacturer (I think it is bear bomb") now offers the Honey Burn scent.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Has anyone hereScents and lures for black bear? [Re: Sawfish] #31998 07/30/2008 8:44 PM
rupe Offline
veteran
veteran
In Oregon we can't bait but we can put scent on ourselves. I just don't feel comforable hanging a lbs of bacon around my neck that is half rotten.LOL
We can make our own scent and put it in a spray bottle and spray it all over us or on a rag and hang the rag on our clothes.
I prefer calling them in then having something stinky on me.

SBH Hunter 44mag
Ore. Chpt 4x4him.org
If you don't like logging try using plastic toilet paper
<><
Re: Has anyone hereScents and lures for black bear? [Re: rupe] #32036 07/31/2008 4:58 AM
bare-hunter Offline
journeyman
journeyman
if baiting was legal in washington I would us grease(bacon or cooking) and dog food and hang a 5 gallon bucket of molasas with some very small holes poked in the sides and then every time I would go back cut another hole lower down the side.then before i hunted I would put out some bear crack (mashmellows cherry jello maple surup and old grease cook and dump on new dog food and leave the pot for them to play with)I would have my trail cam out so I could tell when they where coming and what kinda bear was there.Of couse only if it was legal

MB
Re: Has anyone hereScents and lures for black bear? [Re: bare-hunter] #34154 08/26/2008 1:04 AM
gene Offline
Mix anice(grocery store near spices)and cinnamon with some water. I carry it in a bottle, when I get there, I put some on a rag in a couple places up high.I think it is more of an attractant than food.Deer like it also

Re: Has anyone hereScents and lures for black bear? [Re: gene] #34158 08/26/2008 1:21 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
before baiting became illegal here in Oregon I would just pour bacon grease over a dead stump and have them coming in around camp. I've just started using a drag pad like you would for deer only soaked in bacon scent. I know it may sound a little crazy but I figure a bear probably isn't going to charge me from behind just because he smells bacon but I carry my short barreled 475 in my hand while walking to a stand to start calling just in case I get one that is a little over zealous.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Has anyone hereScents and lures for black bear? [Re: wapitirod] #34210 08/26/2008 7:16 AM
Revolver Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Rod, what do you mean by "drag pad" ?

I have more guns than I need, but not nearly as many as I want...
Re: Has anyone hereScents and lures for black bear? [Re: Revolver] #34250 08/26/2008 7:48 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
they are the little cotton fiber pads they use for whitetail hunting, you can drag them or hang them from a tree, you can also use a piece of cloth but the pads seem to hold more scent and the hold it longer. They come with a string and I just use a safety pin and pin it to my boot lace and it drags about a foot or two behind me.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod